24" 1920x1080 LCD monitor vs 32" 1080p LCD TV for gaming and internet.

MoreDents

Limp Gawd
I just moved to a new apartment and bought the PS3 slim -- yet, I don't even have a monitor yet!

So this new monitor purchase will be for serious gaming as well as hardcore computer/internet use with my laptop

So which is the better option? (And it doesn't have to be a 32" TV. It can be around that size)

I want great crisp video quality. Any recommendations?

Thanks. Any help is much appreciated!

I'm in favour of the 24" mostly because of the better PC performance (small dot pitch, no incompatibilities etc). And also because you can find more decent reviews and the available good models are more or less well-known and over-talked about, so you will know everything you want before you buy it. On the other hand the LCD-TV will be more of a "?" and might end up having some quirks that you will hate...

I am in the same boat (and for a long time was planning on going for 32" samsung because of good panel+glossy) and I finally settled on a 23"/24". Then again, I got a projector and when I want I can have 120" 1080p glory, so I definitely dont need size.....so you may end up better with the 32" LCD-TV overall, if you gonna use it for more stuff...

What do you mean by hardcore computer/internet use? If you intend to sit in front of it for a few hours at a time web browsing and doing general productivity stuff (read: not gaming) then I'd go for the 24", it's just gonna be a lot more comfortable (even beyond text and the dot pitch, brightness/contrast etc are all better tuned for short-distance viewing and GUI display). I don't think the LCD TV has to be an unknown tho, there's plenty of good places to go for info in that regard (like AVS for instance).

However if you think you can stomach sticking to the laptop's own display (if you find you're not comfortable working on the TV for long periods), then going w/the HDTV for gaming & movie watching might be a more appealing option... Just be ready for that fallback option of the laptop display (what size is it btw?). You can always get a cheaper 19" or 22" display later to go alongside it too...

Last edited:
seems we can argue both points pretty good.

I think you'll be much happier with a 1080p 32" monitor or w/Tuner IMO. You sound like you're wanting to game pretty heavy and internet is fine on a 32 incher.

NOW....if space is an issue, the 24 sounds ok. But man, you got a ps3, why game on something so small? pluuuuus, you get many input/output options on a nice 32" monitor for other platforms.

Impulse and blink do make good points though.

Last edited:
FWIW, I occasionally hook up my netbook to my 32" HDTV (granted it's only a 720p set), mostly to watch Hulu content and whatnot... But I'll do some web browsing on it every now and then and it's pretty comfortable to do that occasionally from the couch... If I'm gonna be doing it for more than an hour or if I'm actually working/coding or if I'm heavily researching something I'd much rather go sit at my desk on my 24" LCD tho (along w/the 19" CRT sitting alongside it :D I'd like to replace that monster at some point, heh).

My pov might be somewhat skewed tho, growing up I did most of my console gaming on 19-24" TVs, at best. I managed to play some X-Men vs SF (and Crazy Taxi) on a 30" CRT TV shortly before college and that was bliss, heh... It wasn't 'till the other day that I managed to play Mario Kart and Super Smash Bro on the Wii on 32-40" HDTVs, so I never grew up gaming on huge screens like I imagine kids do these days w/cheap HDTVs and HD consoles and whatnot. I swear I can't go back to playing Super Smash Bro on a smaller screen now, I can't even imagine how we could figure out wtf was going on then. :p

I will make this comment, video almost always looks better on the decent 32" 1080p TVs, especially in non-game mode (like a Theater mode, etc.) By comparison, videos on the 24" PC monitors really make the noise, grain and video artifacts stand out, big time, unless you sit too far away to notice. Hulu in particular looks much worse to me on the computer monitor versus the HTPC TV.

One reason I went the HDTV route last year, was because dedicated computer monitor backlights were not able to go dark enough for my eyes...

YMMV and this is just my opinion. but.............Assuming native res, close up, like on a desk where you are only a couple feet away from it, a 32" screen at 1080p looks like ass imo. My Toshiba does any way. Move back 3' to 4' or so and it looks great. At 5' I found the 32" to be too small for me, while my 46" Samsung looks good at native at between 4' and 7' when used for games and internet.
This is one of those things that depends heavily on how far you are from the screen, how good your eyesight is, and your own preferences. It's hard to give a good recommendation in this situation.

One reason I went the HDTV route last year, was because dedicated computer monitor backlights were not able to go dark enough for my eyes...

They have gotten excessively bright haven't they. All looking to pump up that bogus contrast ratio marketing number I guess.

YMMV and this is just my opinion. but.............Assuming native res, close up, like on a desk where you are only a couple feet away from it, a 32" screen at 1080p looks like ass imo. My Toshiba does any way. Move back 3' to 4' or so and it looks great. At 5' I found the 32" to be too small for me, while my 46" Samsung looks good at native at between 4' and 7' when used for games and internet.

In a way, a large screen size is the same as a smaller screen size because having a larger screen requires you sitting farther back, thus making it the same size to your eye as sitting closer to a smaller screen size!

Do you understand at what I'm getting at? :D

Too much input lag on just about all t.v.'s to look at them for serious gaming. Hell, it's hard to find a 24" computer LCD with acceptable input lag, and there's much less incentive for a t.v. to lower their input lag than for a pc monitor.

Back