• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$2120.00 Computer, Thoughts?

PrometheuSBoxeR

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
288


I haven't pulled the trigger yet, just looking for some other opinions on the build. It would be paired with (3) 23" or 24" DELL UltraSharp IPS panels. Gaming, Video, Web Development, Multi-Tasking, Work etc., all around will be used for just about everything and likely at the same time.
 
6) Will you be overclocking?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
 
thats a 1366 board which supports triple channel ram, i suggest you get a tripple channel ram kit instead of dual
 
thats a 1366 board which supports triple channel ram, i suggest you get a tripple channel ram kit instead of dual

Triple channel RAM doesn't provide that much of a real world performance increase than dual channel RAM. COnsidering that dual channel RAM sets are better priced at the moment, don't see why he should get triple channel RAM.
 
I made a few modifications regarding some of the insight.



Yes, I would like to overclock. It's been a long time since I have though. I'll have to brush up, not sure what's changed/what's standard.

Changed memory out for 6GB triple versus 8GB dual.

The HD6850 looks like the best price/performance ratio right now. I picked up 2, because CF scales so well, and I would like to run 3-6 monitors with Eyefinity. At least 3.

The Vertex 2 is for Apps/OS, Spinpoint F3 is for storage. I cut back to 1TB for now.

Price down to 1640.00 as is.
 
I recommend getting two of these RAM sets instead:
$82 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Roughly $164 for two sets and allows you to go up to that motherboard's max RAM support in the future. And from a price per GB standpoint, it's also the better deal. Again, there's no difference in real world performance between triple and dual channel RAM.

You can also shave off $14 by getting the CPU + mobo from this combo link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.541761

Also I would go with XFX for their better customer support and longer warranty for a small increase in price:
$185 - XFX HD-685X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
 
Well IMO and some will disargee but I like to be somewhat future proof, at lest for a year or two :)

I would bump up the PSU, reason being, if you upgrade your GPU's anytime in the next 16 months you will have room to play right now your probably in the 700-750 range. I feel safer having a little room.

Now your in the same boat as I am, I am building two new systems now, one which needs to be done by Thanksgiving, and the other needs to be done sooner then better. But how long do I wait to see these new GPU's coming out over the next month. IMO if your present system is working, try and squeeze another month out of it. You may change your mind on the GPU again :)

And be careful on your mobo choice, have a few people I know that are having some Gig mobo issues. It appears EVGA and Asus are locking up the 1366 boards for right now. Was holding my breath for DFI to get there head out of there ass but doesn't appear thats gonna happen anytime soon.

Other then that all looks good. Buy your SSD at the last minute in case of price drop, you may even be able to bump up in size for the same price. This week a lot of them dropped in price.

Goodluck!
 
It's funny how everyone wants to be "future proof". Buy a calculator. Heh!
 
Intel SSD are not that great. Plus they do not offer good sustained write speeds.

How often do you actually write to the drive? The most important part of a SSD is the random read/write speeds. That's what determines how "snappy" the SSD is. The Intel SSDs have some of the better random read/write speeds out there. Thought I think the Sandforce based SSDs are fairly close in that regard.
 
Back
Top