20x Computer Build Help

FlowGaming

Limp Gawd
My dad has finally decided to go digital in his doctors office. For a long time he has
been using good old fashioned film X-rays, which are a pain in the butt. For one you can
not easily make copy's and they take a while to take and develop. Often retakes have to
be taken.

He will be needing 20x desktop computers and 1x Server (the server will be talked about
later.

The company that is going to provide all of his software and x-ray hardware is trying to rip
him off. By that I mean, they want him to buy this computer; Intel Pentium D 940 3.2 Ghz
Processor w/ 800 Mhz FSB; Intel D945GTPLKR Micro ATX DDR2 Motherboard; 80 GB 7200
RPM Seagate Hard Drive; 512 MB DDR2 RAM; W indows XP Professional; 56K Modem; 16
X DVD ROM Drive; 3.5 Floppy Drive; nVidia Geforce 6200 128MBPCI-EXPRESS; Intel
10/100/1000 NIC; Case; Shipping, SW & HW Installation, and 1 year on-site service are
included. for the grand total of... $1,7000.00 EACH

After seeing this and my eyes popping out of my head, I called the company and they
finally allowed me to build/buy my own systems.

My Build
Intel e6300
Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
EVGA 7300GS 256MB
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Samsung DVD RW
NEC Internal Floppy Drive
Rosewill R624BLK ATX Mid Tower Computer Case+350W Power Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista
Grand Total of $761.18

I know that the CPU is over kill but I have got my good reasons for using such a
beast :D. These computers are left on 24x7 and besides being office pc's these things
will double as Folding clients : ]

The VGA is also a little over kill. The company that my dad was originally going to go with
included nVidia 6200 128mb VGA's in their builds but those cards use system memory
and for $30 bucks more thats not a problem. (though that $30 will be x'ed by 20 = $600)

The DVD RW drives will almost never be used by they are only about $10-$15 bucks more
and later on these may server a better cause for me.

Now the reason that I am posting this that I am trying to get some suggestions on better
parts to go with.

So please leave your suggestions below.

I wouldn't go with a case/PSU combo.......if these are going to be running 24/7 then I would want quality PSU's in them.

I am going with the ThermalTake 430w PSU. They have got a great rating of over
1000+ positive feed backs on newegg.

The stock PSU's I'm NOT going to use. I am actually going to use those for a case wiring
mod project :)

I am going with the ThermalTake 430w PSU. They have got a great rating of over
1000+ positive feed backs on newegg.

The stock PSU's I'm NOT going to use. I am actually going to use those for a case wiring
mod project :)

I wouldn't use that PSU either. I would go for This You get what you pay for in PSUs. Go to the PSU forum there are some good sticky s in there that will lead you to a good choice.

and Remember Newegg reviews are about as trustworthy as a 88 Yugo

For the amount of computers you are buying for a buisness you might want to consider an OEM like Dell. I mean sure DIY is great and will give you better performance but thats not what we are talking about here. Warranty, support, etc all has to be taken into account when doing something like this and doing individual part warranties will severely cut into your time and money so you might want to do a rundown on pricing from Dell especially ones that come with monitors.

I agree with DeChache and Riddlinkidstoner.

I wouldn't use those thermaltakes either, hehe, nor that case, but thats just me. Seriously, you could get a better deal from Dell. It looks like you can get those same type of specs but with a monitor included for about the same price. Call and talk to a rep, and they can hook you up with a good discount since you're getting 20 systems.

i have contacted a few company's and talked to them.

I also have some friends around here that where OEM builders and Tecks. For the money
that I can save building it myself it is worth it and I have the man power to stand behind
these products.

So I got 1x suggestion for psu any more?

Case what case should i get?

I've used both the Thermaltake and the Xclio one model down. I've never had a problem with either of them. I've been running the thermaltake in a server for the past year, and it's been running Q3 and UT2K dedicated servers 324/7 with no issues. It does have two fans, and even thought they're not loud (the server is in my bed room and it doesn't bother me), the larger single fan on the Xclio is quieter. Either ought to work well for ya.

Another option for the video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145138

It's a LE, instead of a GS. $20 less and still all onboard ram.

For the money that I can save building it myself it is worth it and I have the man power to stand behind these products.

My point was, you can't save any money building it yourself if you talk to a dell rep. We're a small company, and our dell rep typically knocks off 30% for a system configured using the dell website. You really can't beat that unless you need a specialized system (gaming, CAD, etc). And the system you configured isn't specialized at all, its just budget-oriented.

But if you still want to build it yourself, I second the recommendation for the XClio's. They're CWT built, and are very solid units. As for cases, the Centurion 534 is good, or any other Centurion case from Coolermaster.

i was trying to save some money but these cases will be seen and should look very nice.

I have used the thermaltake psu's in the past and have had no issues

i was trying to save some money but these cases will be seen and should look very nice.

I have used the thermaltake psu's in the past and have had no issues

You will do what you will but remember these machines are more than boxen or servers or personal machines. Theses machines have to be reliable due to the nature of what they are being used for.

Personally I wouldn't use Thermaltake psu's in any build that had to be reliable.

I'd go with cheaper RAM...this GSkill pair seems nice enough...and the bandwidth difference from DDR-800 to DDR-533 isnt really noticeable (especially on that kind of system). Also, I'd choose a cheaper mobo, like this MSI. These parts will get the job done, and you can save a bit on those 20 systems (around $1200)

Buy 2 spare power supplies, 1 set of memory , 1 mb , one spare of each kind of drive, one keyboard and one mouse, and keep on site in spares cabinet. A spare NIC laying around could not hurt either. Experience has shown me that going with PS2 optical mice and PS2KB is a lot less headaches in the long run.

Oh, include a good quality surge protector for each machine and possibly a UPS for a couple of them so some emergency work could be done in case of a power failure, your call.

How experienced are you in installing x-ray hardware and software?

That type of product might not be very user-friendly to install...

I'm seconding the Dell option. Buying 20 DIY systems is a great idea for you personally, since you'll guarantee yourself a constant stream of work, but assuming they'll pay to you any kind of hourly wage the savings will pretty quickly dissappear.

i've seen similar prices where they try to rip you off. Infact, I am going to be doing a similar project, but at my dad's dental office and the dental softwre company offered P4s!!! (socketT) with 512mb ram, integrated video, 80gb hdd for $1400! without a monitor!!!!:mad: :eek:

it's a freakin joke.

Good luck with everything.

Also, i know you aren't talking about the server yet, but for 20+ workstations, I would go with a minimum of 4-6gb of ram. and dual opterons or xeons.

For the case, go with the coolermaster centurion 541 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119088

o, and please build like you want, don't go with brand name

custom FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

got bored and reread the thread,

being office pc's these things
will double as Folding clients : ]

If you have any sense at all you will put nothing but what is absolutely required for theses machines to function for their intended purpose.

I suggest in the most friendly way possible you stop, sit down, and spend 2 hours thinking about the fact you are installing what amounts to critical tools in a medical office and the kind of responsibiliy and possible risk and liability that entails.

If you have any sense at all you will put nothing but what is absolutely required for theses machines to function for their intended purpose.

I suggest in the most friendly way possible you stop, sit down, and spend 2 hours thinking about the fact you are installing what amounts to critical tools in a medical office and the kind of responsibiliy and possible risk and liability that entails.
I disagree...those E6300 will do just fine...power efficient, cool and quiet (what else can you ask for? ;)) and having one of the 2 cores folding 24/7 has no problem at all (unless you count the power the system uses...and I dont really think his dad will allow the PCs to be ON all night long...that wouldnt really be very bright :rolleyes: )

I wouldn't go with a case/PSU combo.......if these are going to be running 24/7 then I would want quality PSU's in them.

Personaly I like the antec case and power supply combos. Would be a better route but really just something better then that would be good.

consider windows xp volume licensing and ghost.

I'd use true image but yea I would get a VLK for windows to make images easy. You'd still need to coa stickers though so you would need to buy the VLK and the coas.

Personaly the dell route is a good one too. Get some nice(business) machines with full support. Make a master image off a fresh format and then blow it down to all of them. Figure that a onsite warranty is worth some cash. If you have the time to support these machines great but it helps to have someone to back you up. Also look at the rates the x-ray people will charge for support.

I vote for going with dell, they'll give you a discount and it'll be less headache in the long run. This is a project for somebody with a little more experience and maturity. These are going to be in a medical office for taking X-Ray's and your thinking of folding on them..? Also you were thinking of going with an thermaltake psu? those things are crap I wouldn't use one if you gave it too me for free.

Another vote for Dell. You can get comprehensive service and support for the entire installation and you can get it for a reasonable price.

If you do build them yourself, here's a few tips on a job like this:

XMS2 is unnecessary, workstations don't need ultra-low-latency RAM. Get ValueSelect and save some cash.

As for PSU's, you don't need high wattage, these aren't gaming rigs. You want the power you'll need and maximum reliability. PFC is a good thing to have to ensure long life for the hardware. This will be perfect.

You don't want to get a cheap case either. These machines will be on the floor and they will be kicked and abused. You need something that will take that without having pieces bust off and protect the internals. Bonus points if it doesn't look like a UFO. Here you go.

One more thing: No intake fans. These systems won't receive regular dusting and they can't sound like a Hoover, either. The 120 exhaust on the case coupled with the 120 on the PSU will provide quiet, adequate cooling without pulling a bunch of dirt into the machine.

I disagree...those E6300 will do just fine...power efficient, cool and quiet (what else can you ask for? ;)) and having one of the 2 cores folding 24/7 has no problem at all (unless you count the power the system uses...and I dont really think his dad will allow the PCs to be ON all night long...that wouldnt really be very bright :rolleyes: )

dont see where I had any concern/issue about the hardware other than spares.

wouldnt really be very bright

Apparently its contagious, what do you think Dad the Doctor, who is already paying probally outrageous medical liability insurance would say about folding running any damn time much less what the xray software people would say. Anyway I had my say, you had yours. I am sooooo outa here.

Listen to these people, they know what they are talking about. You are setting these computers up for a business not for your personal folding farm.

For the amount of computers you are buying for a buisness you might want to consider an OEM like Dell. I mean sure DIY is great and will give you better performance but thats not what we are talking about here. Warranty, support, etc all has to be taken into account when doing something like this and doing individual part warranties will severely cut into your time and money so you might want to do a rundown on pricing from Dell especially ones that come with monitors.

My point was, you can't save any money building it yourself if you talk to a dell rep. We're a small company, and our dell rep typically knocks off 30% for a system configured using the dell website. You really can't beat that unless you need a specialized system (gaming, CAD, etc). And the system you configured isn't specialized at all, its just budget-oriented.

I'd use true image but yea I would get a VLK for windows to make images easy. You'd still need to coa stickers though so you would need to buy the VLK and the coas.

Personaly the dell route is a good one too. Get some nice(business) machines with full support. Make a master image off a fresh format and then blow it down to all of them. Figure that a onsite warranty is worth some cash. If you have the time to support these machines great but it helps to have someone to back you up. Also look at the rates the x-ray people will charge for support.

I used to do support for a couple of school districts. One of the technology directors put together a proposal comparing custom built systems vs buying machines from a vendor. In the long run, buying cheap Dell's with full on support will be better than what you can put together since you will be the support in teh future. However, if you intend on moving forward with this here are some suggestions.

- Do the E4300 instead of the E6300. That saves you $200 for mostly the same performance (with the current $10 per CPU price difference)
- Get an Intel 965g board as you have planned. Ignore everyone telling you to add a 3rd party board. You won't find a more stable board for stock running.
- Don't spend the extra money on PC2-6400. Plain old PC2-5300 will be just fine. Also it should be worthwhile to upgrade to 2gig of ram for future proofing. Corsair Value Select 2gb kits are only $50 more per pair. Some medical software takes a signifigant amount of memory and each revision will need more. (Upgraded statewide offices for Iowa Heart back in the day and for their software revisions they had to triple the memory on every machine)
- Only put a video card in those machines that MUST have them - like the medical software requires more than the onboard is capable of. The onboard video will be fine for everyone else. This will save you $60 per machine that doesn't absolutely need the hardware. If none of them require it that saves you $1200 across the machines.
- Why put optical drives in all of them? For the most part an optical drive will never be utilized. You can image the drives from one machine (or a network if you have access to network capable version of Ghost). Only put optical drives in a small number of them (like machines that will regularly get software changes via CD/DVD). This will again save you a lot of money in the long run. Once they are up and running you will rarely actually touch them with an optical disc. If something catastophic happens to the operating system you will more likely jsut image it anyway. Say you put drives in 5 of them, the other 15 save you $450.
- Be sure to add productivity software on the machines that need it and an antivirus application on all of them (I'd recommend Norton Corp since it updates the server and it pushes updates to your clients)
- Don't forget mouse/keyboards/monitors. Those will signifigantly add to the price (together).
- I also suggest getting a better PSU and believe you can never really go overboard for good solid dependable power.

Since you are building lots of machines. A little money saved on each machine goes a long way. I still agree with everyone else that ordering lowend business machines from Dell may be the better option, but the above makes sense (to me at least).

I used to do support for a couple of school districts. One of the technology directors put together a proposal comparing custom built systems vs buying machines from a vendor. In the long run, buying cheap Dell's with full on support will be better than what you can put together since you will be the support in teh future. However, if you intend on moving forward with this here are some suggestions.

- Do the E4300 instead of the E6300. That saves you $200 for mostly the same performance (with the current $10 per CPU price difference)
- Get an Intel 965g board as you have planned. Ignore everyone telling you to add a 3rd party board. You won't find a more stable board for stock running.
- Don't spend the extra money on PC2-6400. Plain old PC2-5300 will be just fine. Also it should be worthwhile to upgrade to 2gig of ram for future proofing. Corsair Value Select 2gb kits are only $50 more per pair. Some medical software takes a signifigant amount of memory and each revision will need more. (Upgraded statewide offices for Iowa Heart back in the day and for their software revisions they had to triple the memory on every machine)
- Only put a video card in those machines that MUST have them - like the medical software requires more than the onboard is capable of. The onboard video will be fine for everyone else. This will save you $60 per machine that doesn't absolutely need the hardware. If none of them require it that saves you $1200 across the machines.
- Why put optical drives in all of them? For the most part an optical drive will never be utilized. You can image the drives from one machine (or a network if you have access to network capable version of Ghost). Only put optical drives in a small number of them (like machines that will regularly get software changes via CD/DVD). This will again save you a lot of money in the long run. Once they are up and running you will rarely actually touch them with an optical disc. If something catastophic happens to the operating system you will more likely jsut image it anyway. Say you put drives in 5 of them, the other 15 save you $450.
- Be sure to add productivity software on the machines that need it and an antivirus application on all of them (I'd recommend Norton Corp since it updates the server and it pushes updates to your clients)
- Don't forget mouse/keyboards/monitors. Those will signifigantly add to the price (together).
- I also suggest getting a better PSU and believe you can never really go overboard for good solid dependable power.

Since you are building lots of machines. A little money saved on each machine goes a long way. I still agree with everyone else that ordering lowend business machines from Dell may be the better option, but the above makes sense (to me at least).

Personaly I always try to put an optical drive in a machine unless having one is a security issue but yea you could save some cash by getting a usb drive or 2 and using them instead. Most of the time we push new software to machines we copy the install files to the server for later anyway. Video card thing is a toss up. If the software can use the video cards then put them in. If not then yea stick with onboard. I'd ditch the floppy drives as well. Get a usb floppy drive for booting off of if needbe. For the keyboards and mice I'd get a cheap ms or logitech combo. Hate crappy mise so these will be more but nice setups.

The symantec corp is a good recmendation but I would look into nod32 corporate as well. Lot of people have had very good luck with it.

Being a PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) administrator for a local hospital that does about 60,000 exams and stores 1.5 million + images a year, I am very familiar with medical grade imaging. In order to do diagnostic reads you must be FDA 510(k) certified and this cost dollars.

You will want at least one Radiology viewing station equipped with a good DICOM compliant monitor.

We use these in our clinical areas....

http://www.planar.com/products/medical_displays_solutions/dome_ex_color/dome_ex4c.cfm

CDW has decent prices on them....

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1062272

They come with a DICOM calibrated controller that must be used with the monitor. They will work for most imaging studies but if you are doing digital mammography and some MRI stuff you will need some good 5 mega pixel display (We have some in the Radiology reading room and the ER that cost $25,000)

I know this seams high, but you are dealing with a persons health and liability issues will arise so be smart and do not "cheap out" on the reading station.

As for the exam rooms, any good quality 1600 x 1200 display will do

Oh, I use Dell for all our PC's. Much easier to just call them with your gold support and have NO hassle when a replacement part is needed (this will happen).

Send me a PM if you need more help.

I did place the order for my parts. Though not with all the parts that I listed above. I did
make changes

Here is just a copyed and pasted doc that I wrote up to show the office manager.
(still being worked on)

Dental Room’s
Each denial room (8x) will get a brand new custom computer listed below.

System Specks:
-CPU: e6300 1.86GHz Duel Core CPU ($185)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115005

-Motherboard: Intel BOXDG965WHMKR ($119.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813121052

-Ram: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($109)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145566

-Hard Drive: 80g Western Digital SATA 7200rpm (($43)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822135106

-Video Card: eVGA 7300gs 256mb ($59.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130270

-Power Supply: XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ($51.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817189005

-DVD ROM: Sony DVD-ROM ($18.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827101131

-Floppy Drive: NEC Floppy Drive ($6.25)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16821152005

-Computer Case/Speakers: ($na)
(not yet selected for final purchase)

Each Dental Room will also have a ceiling mounted monitor arm that will be provided by
Patterson Dental. The Keyboard and Mouse unit will be

-Keyboard/Mouse: ADESSO WKB-4000US 2-Tone 88 Normal Keys USB RF
Wireless Mini Keyboard Mouse. ($94.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16823166047

The Monitor will be the SAMSUNG 940BX 19” LCD monitors with a recommended
resolution of 1280x1024, a contrast ratio of 1000:1, and is VESA 75mm compliant. Also
due to the arm length and cord length needed for the LCD monitors a 15 foot cord will be
used, listed below the make and url of monitor.

-Monitor: SAMSUNG 940BX 19” LCD ($249.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824001080
-DVI Cable: Link Deport DVI 15ft monitor cable ($11.29)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16812189049

This system provides 50% to 65% better performance over the standard recommended
system that Patterson Dental provides. The total cost of each core pc will cost about
~$590ea. With the additional monitors, keyboard, and mouse the full deal will come out to
$950.48ea

When Compared to Patterson Dental each core system from Patterson Dental cost
$1700ea. With monitor ($480) keyboard and mouse ($40) each pc from them cost
$2220ea. A total savings of $1270ea.

Here is their budge build-
Intel Pentium D 940 3.2 GHZ Processor w/800 Mhz FSB; Intel D945GTPLKR Micro ATX DDR2 Motherboard w/LAN; 80 GB 7200 RPM
Seagate Hard Drive; 512 MB DDR2 RAM; Windows XP Professional; DVD Rom; 3.5 Floppy Drive; ONBOARD SOUND CARD WITH NO
GAME PORT; NVIDIA GEFORCE6200 PCI-EXPRESS (NO VIDEO CAPTURE CAPABILITIES) ; Intel 10/100/1000 NIC; Case; Shipping,
SW & HW Installation, and 1 year on-site service are included.

I am fully aware that I could have gone with a cheaper cpu, forgot about the floppy and gotten a usb one, and gone many other wants on what parts to get. There are many ways
to go about this. Though I wanted to post this to see what some people had to say and I
am happy with some of your suggestions.

The monitor had to be at 1280x1024 resolution. Do you think that this was a good pic for a monitor?

What do you think of this keyboard/mouse? It would be one hell of a great keyboard/mouse combo for my dad
easy to use and etc.

thanks

You are better off with an OEM like Dell with its warranty and service plan. I know its been said plenty of times, but its gotta be echoed. The no hassle parts replacement from Dell will save you money from downtime and less headaches.

yeah, dell's ftw. Our company uses them it makes my job easier. Gluck with your builds, I wouldn't want to ge treated their though :p

You are better off with an OEM like Dell with its warranty and service plan. I know its been said plenty of times, but its gotta be echoed. The no hassle parts replacement from Dell will save you money from downtime and less headaches.

unless you are blind, he already made part of the order.
as far as the keyboard and monitor, I think having a touchpad as a mouse could become a pain in the ass to use. But everything looks good. I'm actually going to be doing almost the same setup you are in the summer with my dad's office (smaller). The only thing I would have changed was for the video cards, getting passive heatsinks to lower sound in the oppertories.
I'm gonna guess your dad is either an orthodontist or an endodontist due to such a large number of computers needed :D

good luck and i'll check back on your updates. ;)

~Arules

edit: Dont listen to any of this Dell bullshit. Heck, we were considering Patterson Dental as well, and their computers are infact CUSTOM not shit dells :D

edit2: I have a question for the original topic starter, do you know if they told you that you must setup a domain with static IP address for the server and run workstations with a network boot to server? thanks :)

VERY true....and you can also get in LEGAL trouble, using work machines as a personal software cruncher....when dealing with insurance companies and paying customers, you go and install some software that possibly interferes with work related tasks, and guess what, you are in line for a hell of a lawsuit. I don't think your dad wants that.

To the OP: Personally, I think you doing this "for your dad" is a mistake, you are not a company that can provide support for a task like this, what are you going to do when nurse xzy calls and has software issues, or the machine crashes and loses a few hundred critical x-rays, etc. There is a reason why companies like Dell get a large portion of business related computer system setups. They have the manpower, technical expertise, etc., to handle these issues, and they WILL happen. In the end, I doubt you are saving ANY money at all....

What do you think of this keyboard/mouse? It would be one hell of a great keyboard/mouse combo for my dad
easy to use and etc.

I think it is expensive and is going to be worthless to a lot of them. Using a touchpad in latex gloves sucks. I'm thinking a lot of the time the doctors will still have the gloves on no?

I think it is expensive and is going to be worthless to a lot of them. Using a touchpad in latex gloves sucks. I'm thinking a lot of the time the doctors will still have the gloves on no?

i agree. A standard mouse or wireless mouse would be a better and smarter option in this setup ;)

i agree - use an OEM.

have you calculated the sheer labor costs of building this equipment? that alone is a week's worth of labor for a single person - and quite costly! so now you need to make a reasonable rate on the systems themselves and the labor.

additionally, supporting all the hardware after the fact is a _huge_ responsibility - let a corp do it. you have to calculate the future labor costs of support - voila! now $1700/ea is a steal!

get yourself some nice install and consultation fees, and let someone else do the nasty stuff.

Two summers ago, I did a huge build project like this. I think when it was all said and done, I ended up assembling and setting up 25 workstations, and 6 servers. Yes, it was a pain in the ass; yes, it can be done. My advice to you is:
  • Buy a case that has easy cable management - Antec Sonatas are great.
  • USE GOOD POWER SUPPLIES!!! Rosewill = BAD, BAD, BAD!
  • Ditch the floppy drive, they are no longer needed.
  • Get 2 gigs of ram, you will appreciate it now, and later when it comes time for Vista.
  • Use as few components as possible - onboard video, audio, and LAN is your friend.
  • You qualify for a Windows volume license - get one, it will make your life a billion times easier when it comes time to set up software on these machines, and will probably be cheaper.
  • Norton Ghost is your friend. ;)
  • Get some Aspirin and Tylenol - your whole body will ache after being bent over a box for eight hours straight.
Have fun. It can be tough, but it can be done.

I'm glad to see someone do something like this. If you can save pops about 20,000 then why not do it? How long does that dell support last anyways? At the most he will have to replace all in all three-six machines in three years and most of the parts will be covered by their original warranty. I would love to take on a project like that so what if it takes a week and ooooo you have to spend 1 day every couple months trouble shooting a problem no way is it worth that much money.

parts warranties are typically 1 year. so, if you replace 6 machines in 3 years - you're paying a lot of money out of pocket. for the parts that are failed, you might have to do an advance RMA - which may include rush-buying parts locally out of your pocket.

generally these types of orders come with a lot of support phone calls and such. unless they have a _clear_ understanding they will be charged for each call - they will call you incessantly.

what happens when your life changes and you aren't around in 18 months when the server fails and the company is losing hundreds of dollars each hour the box is down?

i guarantee if you called dell with realistic hardware requirements, they would be able to build a package cheaper than you could do it (including labor). even recently when someone wanted a PC from me for their home - the best price i could build it myself was less than $50 cheaper than the local computer store; that didn't include my labor.

in the past, dealing with businesses and such i had my own way of doing things. generally, there was very little $$ to be made in hardware. $20 now for $200 in headaches. so, i found the parts for the clients; i told them where to buy them. i then told them i would install/support/whatever, but they had absolutely no warranty with me. they understood that by using their own credit card. if i screwed up a config, i paid for it. if the hardware collapsed, they bought new and paid me to install it again.

I'm glad to see someone do something like this. If you can save pops about 20,000 then why not do it? How long does that dell support last anyways? At the most he will have to replace all in all three-six machines in three years and most of the parts will be covered by their original warranty. I would love to take on a project like that so what if it takes a week and ooooo you have to spend 1 day every couple months trouble shooting a problem no way is it worth that much money.
The savings over the dental specialist provider is $20,000. Dell would probably make this cheaper, or at the same price.

Back