2080 ti reliability

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
Just come into some end of year gift certs from work.

Are the 2080 ti's still blowing left and right like a hooker at a shriner's convention?

Last edited:
my evga 2080ti xc ultra developed artifacts after 3 days, adv RMA was new and been working great.

Just come into some end of year gift certs from work.

Are the 2080 ti's still blowing left and right like a hooker at a shriner's convention?

People's anecdotal stories aren't really going to give you a complete picture. This forum's been hammering on them left and right since the price announcement, so it's more of a running joke here than actual data.

I think you'll probably be fine. There is a problem, sure, but the majority of cards are working.

I bought 2 and had to do one RMA, but after getting the replacement and tweaking my system a bit, things have been solid for about a month.

I got the Zotac 2080ti and it's been great. No problem at all and way cooler than my 1080ti.

I asked a general question about the 2080ti a while back. Consensus was get a MSI Trio or EVGA FTW3 Ultra "Supposedly" these cards haven't had issues. Both are like $1300-1400 cards.

I'm waiting for the EVGA to hit stock on Newegg. Then I'll pounce.

I asked a general question about the 2080ti a while back. Consensus was get a MSI Trio or EVGA FTW3 Ultra "Supposedly" these cards haven't had issues. Both are like $1300-1400 cards.

Theres a big stock thread on evga's forum you can watch.. and also evga has a ebay store as well that they have stocked up at the same time as of evga's main store site.

I'll likely need to purchase though Amazon - I have only so many options on what kind of gift cert I get.

I appreciate all the information - I do understand the value and statistics of anecdotal evidence.

Anyone know if ones purchased recently are showing more reliability then 2080 ti's from the initial retail surge? I am hoping someone somewhere fixed something.

I'll be selling my 1080 ti cheap to a friend and do not want to go dig up my 980 ti or 680 if it blows out.

Thanks everyone!

The EVGA store goes in and out of stock every day. I purchased a FTW3 on Monday and all their other cards have been in stock.

We have an open line of credit through newegg at work, and 0% interested for 12 months. Figured I'd go that route. Thanks though!

I just recently had to RMA an FTW3. The memory temps closest to the PCIe were 96°, it produced color artifacts at anything above default clocks and when I did overclock it performed quite poorly. I spoke with a rep on the phone and they decided to RMA it. My only spiff with it was they charged me the full retail price of the card again for cross shipping. The new card doesn't produce artifacts and runs cooler (marginally; mid 80s) and overclocks ok. I can put +90 on the core and +700 on the memory without issues. Certainly not one of those cards that can do 2.1GHz.

The MSI is a very long card, be sure your case can fit the dang thing if you get one.

The MSI is a very long card, be sure your case can fit the dang thing if you get one.

Have a full sized Define S with a 360mm rad up top :) should be long enough!

Thanks for the heads, up too. I know most cards are triple slot, hadn't been looking at length through.

My MSI Duke 2080ti is still working fine, I just left it on for 5 days straight on top of a bunch of testing, currently about 3 weeks in. So knock on wood this one is stable.

Impatiently waiting on Kyle's findings :p

my evga 2080ti xc ultra developed artifacts after 3 days, adv RMA was new and been working great.

EVGA 2080TI Black ED, I have artifacts as well. Massive instability in games and I have a pair of support tickets submitted. I will do the adv RMA. I was thinking about a refund, but where's the fun in that?

If second time was the charm for you, perhaps, it will be for me as well.

Once you buy into these boards, at the 999+ level, you don't want to give up. You want the damn boards to work.

This great card is ruined by this problem. It's like a rumor going around town about someone.

Kyle bought 3 Ti FE cards, the very first ones released and had issues with a few of them but his cards ( exact models ) were declared to have issues directly from nVidia via a news release. So his issues are very specific, documented and isolated ( along with a handful of other buyers who bought this same exact model very early on. And they were promptly replaced from my understanding.

I'm on my 3rd 2080 Ti, and have had zero issues. I have one other friend that is on his 3rd as well, we both built and sold two systems each over the past several weeks and he and I have had personally, along with the buyers of those systems .... zero issues.

it should be noted that on all 3 cards, I gamed my ass off. And, they were all 3 overclocked via nVidia's scanner tool via Afterburner.

The issues are extremely isolated and have long been fixed. However I do suspect there are still some buyers out there that could be unaware of the issues that have some of these cards. Bad news travels fast and when it arrives, bad actors will have usually hyped the issues well beyond actual fact for whatever depraved personal reasons they might have. Meaning, take all the bad news about these cards with a rather large handful of salt. The internet loves to sensationalize news. Remember this.

nVidia is the best you can buy point blank. AMD may never catch up the the level of performance nVidia has now and or will achieve in the future. Buy the 2080 Ti with confidence and take comfort in the fact that you will own the best of the absolute best.

Last edited:
Kyle bought 3 Ti FE cards, the very first ones released and had issues with a few of them but his cards ( exact models ) were declared to have issues directly from nVidia via a news release. So his issues are very specific, documented and isolated ( along with a handful of other buyers who bought this same exact model very early on. And they were promptly replaced from my understanding.

I'm on my 3rd 2080 Ti, and have had zero issues. I have one other friend that is on his 3rd as well, we both built and sold two systems each over the past several weeks and he and I have had personally, along with the buyers of those systems .... zero issues.

it should be noted that on all 3 cards, I gamed my ass off. And, they were all 3 overclocked via nVidia's scanner tool via Afterburner.

The issues are extremely isolated and have long been fixed. However I do suspect there are still some buyers out there that could be unaware of the issues that have some of these cards. Bad news travels fast and when it arrives, bad actors will have usually hyped the issues well beyond actual fact for whatever depraved personal reasons they might have. Meaning, take all the bad news about these cards with a rather large handful of salt. The internet loves to sensationalize news. Remember this.

nVidia is the best you can buy point blank. AMD may never catch up the the level of performance nVidia has now and or will achieve in the future. Buy the 2080 Ti with confidence and take comfort in the fact that you will own the best of the absolute best.

The space invaders and failure to post with the cards might have been fixed. However, I just RMA'ed a 2080Ti and it was completely unstable in games and had a massive artifacting issue whenever the board hit 78c+. So, perhaps, the issue has been fixed in later batches of the silicon. However, even the card I purchased on November 26th was affected by whatever shitty QC Nvidia used before releasing these boards. Artifacting & instability is, apparently, one of the largest issues with this series of cards. Mine is a Non-FE, late release card.

Isolated my ass... Nvidia, however, is the best we can get. No arguments there.

Received the advanced RMA today. It's flickering just like the first one. Only a matter of time before this one shits the bed... Last card did the exact same thing. This is NOT what I would call isolated.

Few people here on multiple failed cards, one guy was on 4/4 from memory across two different PCs and posted proof of purchase to back it up. He sold his old board/cpu/etc and built a new one and it still fucked out with the RMA cards, totally shit story really.

Have a Zotac AMP 2080Ti, and zero problems so far. (About 2 weeks of use) Did get it about 6-8 weeks after release so hopefully didn't get a bad one. Time will tell.... Or not.

Last edited:
Few people here on multiple failed cards, one guy was on 4/4 from memory across two different PCs and posted proof of purchase to back it up. He sold his old board/cpu/etc and built a new one and it still fucked out with the RMA cards, totally shit story really.
Honestly, the last thing people should worry about is their computer this generation of Nvidia cards. I have seen something similar on a couple other forums. People assuming it was their hardware, not Nvidia. I've only seen about two instances where people's power supplies weren't up to the task of feeding the RTX. The rest has been all Nvidia issues.

I don't know what the actual failure rate is, however, I'm on my second card with issues. It's definitely not the 0.01% Nvidia touted and I find it hard to believe they can call this "test escapes" this late in the release. Unless, of course, they're still pushing these things out without testing... Because they know they're flawed at a 20+% level

Pulling percentage numbers it your ass again?
Perhaps you should actually read the forums and find the information Kyle posted about the figures of failures reported by AIB card manufacturers. I was initially basing my guess off the figures reported here, which are above 20% and the fact I'm on my second card and it's artifacting and flickering just like the first that I RMA'ed.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Perhaps you should actually read the forums and find the information Kyle posted about the figures of failures reported by AIB card manufacturers. I was initially basing my guess off the figures reported here, which are above 20% and the fact I'm on my second card and it's artifacting and flickering just like the first that I RMA'ed.
Funny how the [h] user who saw a pile Of dead RMA2080Si at best buy also heard a 25% failure rate before Kyle heard same from his AIB sources.. Just that 0.01% and all..

Back