2017: The Suckiest Year for PC

Nihilus1

Limp Gawd
Just my opinion - 2017 has to be the biggest letdown of all time.
Here is a list:

Crazy Ram prices
Insane used GPU prices
Vega letdowns... well long wait anyway
SKL-X sidestep in perf. from Broad-E
RGB as the biggest feature
Z370 needed for Coffeelake

Agree, disagree? Any I missed?

Last edited:
Starcraft is now FREE to play. Yeah, totally a shitty year for PC errr wait what?

Updated.
Ryzen/TR is a huge plus.
There is no doubt a 7900x would cost $1500 instead.

So yeah, not all bad. I mean cmon, Starcraft! LoL

2016 was worse
6700k not a large improvement, no competition
980TI has no real competition and AMD cards are all being bought by miners still
And games? The division crashed and burned. No man's sky was all lies. Steam got all fucked up with shit ratings and bullshit games. Pokemon go got mismanaged to fuck.. mirrors edge sequel was shit. H1z1 just felt like it went nowhere..

I dunno man, 2016 was kinda shit.

Reactions: _l_
like this
Coffee Lake needing new Z370 chipset (which is a rebadged Z270) instead of a bios update on Z170/Z270 boards.
By that standard every year sucked since SLot1>FCPGA/PPGA adapters.

Here is a list:

Crazy Ram prices
Insane used GPU prices

We had crazy HDD prices, now we have crazy RAM prices, this too will pass.
Mining (cryptocurrency) is a sham, and it's wrong on so many levels, not just for gamers, but that's a much bigger issue than PC.
Introducing the Geforce FX from AMD
Well Skylake-X might be a sidestep in pefromance, but in prices it's a bump down we haven't seen in years from intel. This is actually big for the people not on the absolute bleeding edge (which is the brunt of the enthusiasts)
What RGB? Do you mean HDR?
As I said Intel has been forcing people on new platforms for at least 15 years this is not characteristic for this year alone. And if AMD keeps up with the success of Ryzen we might be seeing Intel having to ditch more of their anti-consumer practices.

Here is a list:

Crazy Ram prices
Insane used GPU prices

+
MS declaring support for quite recent CPUs will be stopped.

Yep but still crappy. I guess I should have clarified that the focus was on hardware not software as some are mentioning games.
Since forever, the trend has been you can buy a more powerful pc for less money than the year before, except maybe 2017.

Not a bad year IMO, but could be better. If it's not your cup of tea just stay with what you have and save up money to buy more stuff later.

If you want to upgrade an older PC. then things could far better pricing wise on ram, gpu and SSD, but if you look beyond this.

You actually have a choice between Intel and AMD now.

Intel is finally pushing more than 4 cores for mainstream motherboards.

Monitors continue to evolve, I do not know which year we should give credit here,
but remember in the beginning of 2015 the thing to look for was single stream 4k, now we have
high refresh rate IPS, Freesync and G-Sync, curved panels, and HDR.
There has been a lot of progress for monitors in the past couple of years and we should be happy 2017 shows no signs of slowing down.

No great games launched recently, so now I have time to play some of the games I have hoarded over the last couple of steam sales.

And don't forget :)

Starcraft is now FREE to play. Yeah, totally a shitty year for PC errr wait what?

Back