2007 Macbook Rebirth

ledcriss

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone. I have a very unique question that I would love to know the answer to. I have a 2007 MacBook, I absolutely love this thing. We all know by now that these can honestly no longer be used because they are so old. They don't receive updates, etc. BUT can you redo the computer? I am meaning like new Motherboard etc? It doesn't even have to be Apple anymore..... I wouldn't mind it being a windows computer. I just want to use it because I have always enjoyed this specific MacBook. The keys are great, etc. Any help would be amazing. Thank you all

it's very rare for any laptop brand to have upgradable motherboards, much less an Apple laptop. Except for maybe putting in a little more ram or a bigger hard-drive, you're stuck with what you've got.

I have one of those old MacBook Pro's. It was given to me a few months ago. Seems to work great, just has a bad battery, and I upgraded the ram to 4GB, came with 2GB.
I also put El Capitan on it, had Lion I think on it.
21557580_1639731609379140_1719155028081841701_n.jpg

21462399_1639731816045786_6885540082397949256_n.jpg

I have one of those old MacBook Pro's.
Sounds like he's talking about the "MacBook" which is the white one? Not sure which he means. The white ones are pretty much useless now, I don't even think they can use El Cap.

I also have a 2007 MacBook Pro that I 'rescued' from being thrown out at work just due to age. I dropped a 180GB SSD in it, it's fine for light browsing and IRC. I had the 17" 2.4ghz C2D model back when they were still being sold, so this is a bit of a nostalgia laptop (if like ~10 years ago can be considered nostalgic).

Where there is a will there is a way. Sure you could put in a PC motherboard, make new cutouts for the I/O ports, maybe even 3d print a decent housing for it, but you would still have to make a custom connection and possibly driver set to get the keyboard and trackpad to work, you would also have to do a new LCD or fabricate a custom LCD controller that would work with your new motherboard...by the time you are done you might as well just get a job as an engineer at apple, dell, HP, or something because you would have basically custom built your own laptop by hand.

Unless you have the time, skills, and tools, it is not worth it. As the great Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. once said "It belongs in a museum."

Personally, I'd just replace the battery with a third party (couple of screws), add in the max amount of RAM, throw an SSD in there. Reinstall OSX to the latest supported version.

All in around $150. It'll be plenty quick for day to day tasks and even perform "okay" in some games.

Sounds like he's talking about the "MacBook" which is the white one? Not sure which he means. The white ones are pretty much useless now, I don't even think they can use El Cap.

I think the last batch of white Macbooks had Nvidia graphics which will work with El Cap.

Back