• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2005FPW Flaw

wallabeex

n00b
Joined
Dec 26, 2005
Messages
32
I bought a 2005FPW when they went on sale back in October and was extremely happy to get it. Being a computer animator I need all the screen real-estate that I can get, and the monitor was good beyond words. No backlight bleeding, nothing.

However, I booted up Photoshop just the other day and realized something strange that I'd never noticed before. There's a hazy black "line" running down the left hand side of the screen that only seems to appear most clearly on the dark gray background of photoshop and occasionally on blues. Figuring it was dirt, I went and got some cleaner only to realize that it's not cleaning off.

Of course, now that I know it's there, I'm constantly looking for it. The line seems to also be accompanied by a small "aura" of what I can only describe as horizontal scanlines that move in an upward direction, though you've really got to look for those. The screen looks unbelievable while I do anything but work in Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects, I'm afraid that this will only get worse with time and I'll start noticing it more and more.

My biggest concern is what is causing it? I know that Dell accepts RMAs for backlight bleeding, but this doesn't seem to fit backlight bleeding or stuck pixels .. the LCD has been moved twice in it's lifetime, always in the box it was originally shipped in, and I've only just recently noticed it after it's been sitting in the same place for two months. I will say that slightly depressing the screen on the side with the black mark has a minorly noticable "give" that isn't present on the opposite side.

I'll try to get pictures, but being the poor college student that I am, I'm wondering what I should do. How long does an RMA take if I do choose to go that route? I'm in my final semester of college with a thesis that needs to be finished, so losing my widescreen for a month and a half wouldn't cut it. Thanks for any help!

-ben
 
wallabeex said:
I bought a 2005FPW when they went on sale back in October and was extremely happy to get it. Being a computer animator I need all the screen real-estate that I can get, and the monitor was good beyond words. No backlight bleeding, nothing.

However, I booted up Photoshop just the other day and realized something strange that I'd never noticed before. There's a hazy black "line" running down the left hand side of the screen that only seems to appear most clearly on the dark gray background of photoshop and occasionally on blues. Figuring it was dirt, I went and got some cleaner only to realize that it's not cleaning off.

Of course, now that I know it's there, I'm constantly looking for it. The line seems to also be accompanied by a small "aura" of what I can only describe as horizontal scanlines that move in an upward direction, though you've really got to look for those. The screen looks unbelievable while I do anything but work in Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects, I'm afraid that this will only get worse with time and I'll start noticing it more and more.

My biggest concern is what is causing it? I know that Dell accepts RMAs for backlight bleeding, but this doesn't seem to fit backlight bleeding or stuck pixels .. the LCD has been moved twice in it's lifetime, always in the box it was originally shipped in, and I've only just recently noticed it after it's been sitting in the same place for two months. I will say that slightly depressing the screen on the side with the black mark has a minorly noticable "give" that isn't present on the opposite side.

I'll try to get pictures, but being the poor college student that I am, I'm wondering what I should do. How long does an RMA take if I do choose to go that route? I'm in my final semester of college with a thesis that needs to be finished, so losing my widescreen for a month and a half wouldn't cut it. Thanks for any help!

-ben

If you can't afford to be without the monitor for at least 2 weeks for RMA, then limp along until you have the time to be parted with the monitor.
 
two weeks would be fine .. a month and a half would not. is this something dell would take an RMA over?
 
my past experience with dell rma, they send you the monitor, then you send the bad one back. So no down time at all. At most 1 week. but usually i get it next day or something because dell is in texas.

Just explain your situation and they will do an rma for you. If not just tell them you have dead pixel/backlight bleeding.
 
funny you mention it .. it ran through my head and i tried both earlier tonight, but i usually use DVI. both had the same results. also tried using my onboard video instead of the video card .. no difference. seems like something's physically wrong with the LCD. however, even as i type this i can't see the problem. when i pop back into illustrator it's as clear as day ..
 
so i was with some friends today and they suggested filling the entire screen with gray and seeing if there were any other problems with the lcd. we did so, and as it turns out there's another, less noticable gray line on the exact opposite side of the screen. there's also a gray mass at the top of the screen that's just as light, and i can see hazy images of my icons. i never used a screensaver as i thought you couldn't burn your desktop into an LCD .. anyone have any clue as to what's going on?
 
it maybe a type of burnin that can occur with LCD screens.. if you can see your icons its definately burnin

i've read of techniques you can do to get rid of it (exercising the pixels more or less)

here is a link with an apple method

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/lcds/remove-lcd-image-burnin-146469.php


Create an all-white screen in a graphics application such as AppleWorks or Photoshop, and save it as a JPEG file.

Use this as the image displayed by the screen saver.

Turn the display brightness down (but not off) to preserve backlight bulb life.


here is a link that seems others have had burn in with the 2005
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/displays/topic3311.html
 
Back
Top