~$2000 Build, Thoughts?

Artluo100

Limp Gawd
Wow.. It's been a while since I was actually active here. I used to browse these forums as a kid haha.

Anyway to start it off..

Monitor (2) Dell Ultrasharp U2412M - $639.98

CPU Intel i5 3570K - $196.64

Video Card eVGA GeForce GTX 670 - $399.99

Hard Drive Samsung 830 Series 256GB - $169.99

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - $134.54

PSU Corsair HX650 - $114.99

Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window - $109.99

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99

Mouse Logitech G700 - $74.99

Keyboard Coolermaster CM Storm Quickfire - $70.76

Ram (2) Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4GB - $89.98

Wireless Card TP-Link TL-WDN4800 - $42.99

Optical Sony Optiarc AD-7280S-0B - $24.98

Total Cost: $2,201.13 (Tax Included)

I tried my best to find deals whenever I could. Please let me know if you guys think this is build is good for the money.

I'm trying to game a bit and also overclock a bit as well. I'd like for the system to be quiet, but it doesn't have to be extremely quiet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I purchased the monitor, CPU, video card, hard-drive and motherboard already btw. As for storage I already have a 3TB Western Digital external.

I'm guessing it's useless to buy the extra compound? I figured the Noctua compound can keep it cooler. Or is it the same compound as the one on the cooler?

Same one IIRC.

I purchased the monitor, CPU, video card, hard-drive and motherboard already btw. As for storage I already have a 3TB Western Digital external.

Then is there really any point for you to ask for advice after you've bought most of the parts already? You bought the parts already so it really doesn't change anything whether or not we think that setup is good for the money unless you're willing to exchange/return the parts or you're just looking for a pat on the head.

Yeah I could return the parts.

I figure I get some input before I actually start opening the packages and ordering the rest of the build.

Is this a gaming rig or are you doing CPU intensive stuff? Because if it's just gaming you'd be better off with the i5 3570K and GTX 670. But you've bought the components already so...

Not really going to be doing much CPU intensive stuff.. but you're right. I'm definitely going to be doing some gaming, I'll think about going with the i5 3570K and returning the 3770K.

I'm considering swapping out the 660 Ti w/ a 670 2GB. It's about $30 more. My question is.. is the 4GB model worth a $160 jump? ($334.99 vs $459.99)

And also for the price of the CPU cooler, Noctua NH-D14, do you think it's worth the money or should I look into a cheap watercooling alternative? Antec Kuhler or Corsair H series for example.

I'm considering swapping out the 660 Ti w/ a 670 2GB. It's about $30 more. My question is.. is the 4GB model worth a $160 jump? ($334.99 vs $459.99)

And also for the price of the CPU cooler, Noctua NH-D14, do you think it's worth the money or should I look into a cheap watercooling alternative? Antec Kuhler or Corsair H series for example.

The d14 will be quieter, IMO.

If you are gaming on a single monitor, not worth it for the 4gb, unless you want to buy another monitor and try surround gaming. :)

Not really unless you're going to do Surround gaming as Hagrid noted.

If you're looking for really low noise, then go for the Noctua. If you're looking for a "WOW" factor in this PC, then go for the Kuhler or Hydros. In terms of cooling, they're roughly the same.
Not really going to be doing much CPU intensive stuff.. but you're right. I'm definitely going to be doing some gaming, I'll think about going with the i5 3570K and returning the 3770K.
Yeah for just gaming, you won't notice a difference between the 3770K or 3570K. So save yourself the $80 to $110 and go for the 3570K.

I'm going to switch to 3770K out for the 3570K and I'm going to bump up the GTX660Ti to a GTX670 (thanks for the tip, slh28).

As for the CPU cooler, I've decided to go with the Corsairs H80. Would've gone with the H100 but I heard it doesn't fit in the Fractal R4.

Will my Corsair HX650 PSU be good enough to power the system now that it has a GTX 670 and the Corsairs H80 watercooling system? If it does, will there be sufficient power to add another GTX670 in SLI later down the road?

Will my Corsair HX650 PSU be good enough to power the system now that it has a GTX 670 and the Corsairs H80 watercooling system? If it does, will there be sufficient power to add another GTX670 in SLI later down the road?

Yes to both questions.

Great. Thanks Danny.

BTW, the monitors and the SSD came in today. I'm pretty excited to build this rig! :D

44192_3664271210491_16836246_n.jpg

I ended up removing the Corsair H80 and adding the Noctua DH-D14 as I heard it's a better cooler.

And NewEgg has a deal where the HX750 is $114.99 after rebate which is $5 more than the HX650 at $109.99 after rebate, so I ended up swapping the HX650 out for the HX750.

If your looking for a HSF that's quiet and cools well at the same time I'd suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Not only does it cool well but it's very quiet and on top of that it's only $35 on Newegg.

I installed one in a NZXT Phantom case and even with the case having a ton of open vent holes we can't even hear the fan, and actually even during the bench build with it sitting on right in front of me on the mobo box I could barely hear it.

Also if a quiet system is important to you I would suggest you look for a videocard with an open cooler design such as the Asus DirectCU II cards as they tend to be quieter then cards that have full shrouds. As an added benifit the open coolers tend to cool the card better, but of course they dump heat into the case so proper ventilation is very important.

Back