200 buck best?

invalid_

Limp Gawd
Ok I am a video n00b. I am getting a new card this week, PCI-E and need to know he best card for roughly 200 USD. Multi purpose. Gaming, Web design, Video/Tv.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I totally agree with Lord, I would get the XFX version it has some extreme clocks, and If I remember what I read right, it damn near ties the 6800GT, or even suprasses it in some areas. Both the eVGA and XFX version's have lifetime warranty's.

XFX 6800GS

If you can spend just a bit more go for the Sapphire X800 GTO2, it can be turned into a X850XT with ease.

Dew said:
If you can spend just a bit more go for the Sapphire X800 GTO2, it can be turned into a X850XT with ease.
Some people like warranties and SM3.0.

Dew said:

Aren't those typically about $80 more than the 6800GS? They have a really high markup.

Dew said:

I wish people would stop recommending the X800GTO2..
Its still pushing the $300 point... which right now will get you a "TRUE" X850XT now...

The O.P. asked for a $200 card, not a $300 card..

I'll probably get flamed for this but...is the 6800GS AGP at all? I have looked around and can't find an answer.

thezfunk said:
I'll probably get flamed for this but...is the 6800GS AGP at all? I have looked around and can't find an answer.
not yet, dunno if ever. i havent seen one yet.

NV42 is a PCIe native chip, which means it would need a bridge chip to work with AGP systems, similar to that which NV43 (6600) uses.

invalid_ said:
Ok I am a video n00b. I am getting a new card this week, PCI-E and need to know he best card for roughly 200 USD. Multi purpose. Gaming, Web design, Video/Tv.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Another point in favor of the 6800GS is that it has a working Purevideo decoder - the older (hotter, larger) 6800 chips did not. This hits your "Video/TV" point quite strongly.

ATI's Purevideo features similar capabilities, but is only available on their X1K cards (IE., NOT the X800s). nVidia's Purevideo works on any GeForce 6-series or 7-series cards.

I'll...second? Third? Fourth? ...the 6800GS suggestion. Best buy at that price point now.

DarkLegacy said:
6800GS ftw. An easy Choice. Sli anyone??? =).

-DarkLegacy

The 6800GS is probably the best $200 choice right now. It performs on par with the 6800GT and costs $100 less.

I wouldn't do 2 GS's in sli though. It's a waste of $400 that could be put toward a better performing 7800GTX.

why do people still recomend x800gto^2? The avg price is now more than $240+ ...

orangeaccord said:
The 6800GS is probably the best $200 choice right now. It performs on par with the 6800GT and costs $100 less.

I wouldn't do 2 GS's in sli though. It's a waste of $400 that could be put toward a better performing 7800GTX.

The only thing a SIngle 7800GTX has over SLI 6800GS' is Power COnsumption.

Impaqt said:
The only thing a SIngle 7800GTX has over SLI 6800GS' is Power COnsumption.
and, you know, performance

yes, there are a few areas where teh GS will edge out the GTX. not many though. most of the time SLI'd GS's were behind or tied with the 7800GT according to a benchmark another user trying to say the GS's were better linked me too.

Anyone know a good spot to get a 6800GS? Newegg and Zipzoomfly are on backorder.

EgyptBoy20 said:
LOL...lets not get into SM 3. There is absolutley no reason to have it what so ever today.

Why would you say that when games NOW use it and games in the future use it? Why would you not look to the future when building a PC?

there is one thing 2x 6800gs will do and a 7800GTX can never do: run 4 screens :)

yeah... but only one will work in SLI mode, and i doubt anyone running dual GS SLI will be running quad monitors... 4 screens with midrange gaming cards? sounds like something to do with workstation cards, not gaming cards..

thezfunk said:
Why would you say that when games NOW use it and games in the future use it? Why would you not look to the future when building a PC?
Because if someone gets a last gen card that has SM3 (6800GT, GS, etc.), it will perform horrible when SM 3 is actually utilized.

6800gs

im stuck between that and the 7800gt, dont know which to chose :rolleyes:

Mark up another vote for the 6800GS. I was thinking of getting one until I heard about the 7800GS.

Does anyone know what's with the 6800GX or GTX or Something to that matter?

mrbigshot said:
sm3 is faster than sm2. when enabled your framerates go up

Yeah, but you get no extra features, and the shader speed on ATI cards is superior to that of Nvidia on that generation cards, so it's a total non-issue. The fact that people even bring it up mystifies me. I'd still definitely recommend the 6800GS now that the connect3d cards seem to not be modding successfully, that is unless you can find a cheap x800gto2. Then by all means go for that, but good luck finding one for $200 now.

And BTW: for furture reference, there are 500,000,000,000,000 threads on "what is the best video card for $200" STOP ASKING IT, ITS A FORUM, were you learn NEW things.

there is a search button!

The last time I checked things in hardware change constantly. So an older thread with 200 best isn't always going to be up to date and therefore there is nothing wrong with asking again.

lockheed2266 said:
And BTW: for furture reference, there are 500,000,000,000,000 threads on "what is the best video card for $200" STOP ASKING IT, ITS A FORUM, were you learn NEW things.

there is a search button!

QFT!!

there's a few every week. So you just need to look at the most recent.

Back