20.1" widescreen LCD $379 Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco return policy is awesome.
I returned a year old well used set of golf clubs with my reciept and got cash in hand. I was asked why i was returning them and I said I switched sports.
True statement I dumped pu@@y a@@ golf and went back to paintballing.
Anyway Costco is good to go for returns on most everything except for laptops and desktops from what I have read of their policys.

I returned the Secptre and went to Best Buy and bought the 21" Gateway. No tearing and no stuttering. Looks like either the Spectre was bad or it just doesn't work well while gaming.

I am in the same boat as alot of people.. If I am getting Widescreen im getting at least 20 inch and good specs..doing heavy research on this deal...the viewsonic..and of course..praying to God somehow an amazing deal on the 2405 happends and my bank account grows buy 750$.

solotech said:
I returned a year old well used set of golf clubs with my reciept and got cash in hand. I was asked why i was returning them and I said I switched sports.
Anyway Costco is good to go for returns on most everything except for laptops and desktops from what I have read of their policys.

Jesus Christ, you must be Jewish.

solotech said:
They are incredible,
My Boss returned a over 1 year old TIVO set up, Paid $400 for it and received 2 $100 rebates, So AR $200
It broke down last month, He called the manufacture etc, they said it was out of warranty, Called Costco, They said bring it in with receipt.
Walked out with $400
Do the math! He used it for just over a year and made $200 bucks! WTF

solotech said:

people like you are what is going to get costco to revise (restrict) their return policy :rolleyes:

Feileung said:
True, Jesus Christ was Jewish. But do you think he reads [H]ard forums?

hey its a popular forum, and if your really going to be omniscient.....

:p

Starfox said:
Jesus Christ, you must be Jewish.

nah laddy he's a pennypinching Scot like me :p

generally speaking employing sterotypes will inevitably piss someone off
the written word lacks inflection and other nonverbal context
without those people will assume the worse
even when insult is not meant

and of course we take cultural \ racial bashing very seriously

compslckr said:
also, this is the adapter they show on their site for the hdtv thing
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/images/AV%20Cable%2020comp.jpg

how would you use that to hook an xbox 360 up to this lcd?
They do not have that cable for sale yet. I called and asked about it when I bought the monitor. No cable exists yet that will do that. They say it will be a month or two before they have it. If it does become available, you'll have to call them and ask for it. They won't list it on their website for sale.

Kevin

You know the whole deal about HDCP, monitors and Vista...
Is HDCP monitor support only important if you buy a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD optical drive to play those DVDs? Regular DVDs will work in all their glory right?

I noticed that the 20.1 screen from costco does 1680 x 1050, can I still play games at 1600X1200 on it?

In other words, is the 1680 x 1050 the mas resolution or not, if it isn't then what is?

I saw this in the store today. Looked shorter than the other displays... (or wider than it should) I'm thinking if it does do 16x12, it will look odd.

psyguard said:
I am pretty sure the ATI branded one is for dvi output to component output. I don't believe that it can take component and change it to dvi...

it would fit right on the DVI connection on the monitor and work perfectly... :D

Reason why I am asking is because I am new to PC gaming, I plan on getting a 7800gtx (when the price comes down a little bit) and I was just curious if the screen did 1600x1200. What is the resolution that comes before that?

How can monitors with a max. resolution of 1680 x 1050 show 1080 hi-def if the maximum pixels in the height diminsion is only 1050?

using 20" sceptre at work - it's 3 months old - it's been pretty good . it's brighter than the 17" Viewsonic LCDs were used to, but not as good as the 19" Viewsonics we've got. Sorry I don't member the model #s'

Bad news - the sceptre has developed a vertical line that is DEAD it's frozen at a 50% gray level. This is on a 3 month old unit, although it gets handled a LOT, its retail, customer's move it around each minute

Hulk said:
Reason why I am asking is because I am new to PC gaming, I plan on getting a 7800gtx (when the price comes down a little bit) and I was just curious if the screen did 1600x1200. What is the resolution that comes before that?

All modern games support whatever resolutions are supported by your video card. Any game that runs on the Quake3 engine (Quake3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) can use a custom video mode by setting r_customwidth (ie, 1680) and r_customheight (ie, 1050) and r_mode (to -1).

There are many resolutions that are lower than 1600x1200 depending on your video card. Right now I've got a Dell 2005FPW (essentially the same specs as this widescreen LCD) running on a Geforce4 Ti4200, and the resolutions available to me in Windows are: 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x1024, 1600x900, and 1680x1050 (which is what I run at).

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Is this supposed to be sarcastic?
I thought you could not return anything to Costco...
Edit:

okay..
Can I return it to any Costco store if I buy it online?

Not intended to come off as sarcastic at all. I will sometimes be willing to pay more at costco for something, just because of their return policy.What's nice I usually don't have to sacrafice when it comes to savings. :)

I just picked up one the Sceptres from my Costco. I love it for the price. I have some pictures. They are all located at:

http://www.niravstudio.com/sceptre/

The exposure settings on my camera arent the best, but it should give you some idea. The contrast is unbelievable. The brightness is fantastic. I love it.

Best of all, its from Costco; so I don't have to worry about it dieing out on me in 3 months. We love Costco!

Nirav, how is it for gaming? Im thinking about getting one but I really need it to play games. Let me know, thanks.

If you lose the box do you still get the warranty ?

How a bout a pic of the box ? :D

syukton said:
All modern games support whatever resolutions are supported by your video card. Any game that runs on the Quake3 engine (Quake3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory) can use a custom video mode by setting r_customwidth (ie, 1680) and r_customheight (ie, 1050) and r_mode (to -1).
Not quite. Supporting the monitor's resolution and supporting widescreen are two very different things. Not all that many games truly support widescreen. For example, BF2 is a recent example of one that doesn't. The EA forums are full of people complaining about it too.

The game might run at the widescreen resolution, but the field of view is still at 4:3, meaning the image is stretched wide, resulting in a squashed appearance. Only games that truly support a 16:9 FOV will properly appear on a widescreen, meaning that you will see a wider area of the game than someone with a 4:3 FOV.

And to the other person who asked: no, this monitor nor the Dell 2005FPW will display 1600x1200 -- it's a 1680x1050 monitor, which is why I avoided it. 1600x1200 is a crucial resolution for me, so I'm not willing to give up the 150 vertical pixels. I bought a 2001FPW to get 1600x1200 and when the 2405's (1920x1200) drop below $750 again I intend to grab one of them.

You know the whole deal about HDCP, monitors and Vista...
Is HDCP monitor support only important if you buy a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD optical drive to play those DVDs? Regular DVDs will work in all their glory right?

Bump Bump Bump :eek:

Just a quick point, the 20.1 Viewsonic I picked up does do 1600x1200. Unless I'm misunderstanding what is meant.

OldPueblo said:
Just a quick point, the 20.1 Viewsonic I picked up does do 1600x1200. Unless I'm misunderstanding what is meant.
That's normal if yours is a 4:3 display at 20" (i.e. not widescreen 16:9 or 16:10 format). The widescreens we're discussing (the Sceptre in the OP and the Dell 2005FPW) are 1680x1050 panels.

It is a widescreen, does 1680x1050 tops. I posted about it a little earlier. HL2, Quake4, Quake 2, Serious Sam 2, and Doom3 all give me either a 1600x1200 or 1600x900 or both options. Now it could just be that the games all natively support widescreen, I don't know. BF2 topped out at 1400x1050 for resolution.

OldPueblo said:
It is a widescreen, does 1680x1050 tops. I posted about it a little earlier. HL2, Quake4, Quake 2, Serious Sam 2, and Doom3 all give me either a 1600x1200 or 1600x900 or both options. Now it could just be that the games all natively support widescreen, I don't know. BF2 topped out at 1400x1050 for resolution.
If its native resolution is 1680x1050, then it's impossible to display 1600x1200. Either it or the software is dropping or scaling the 150 vertical pixels. No LCD can display more than its native resolution.

And as mentioned earlier, just because the game allows a resolution, does not mean it supports widescreen. I can't speak to all of those games you mention as I haven't attempted to play them at widescreen res, but to truly support widescreen means the game has to be coded to enable the wider FOV over the normal 4:3 resolutions -- otherwise it's just stretching the FOV to fit the wider resolution, resulting in a squashed appearance.

You are correct, but I think he was literally simply asking if it could DO it. Not whether or not its native or stretched, etc.

How do you like the 20.1" ViewSonic? Screenshots would be great.- Thanks (The $400 one at Costco right?)

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
How do you like the 20.1" ViewSonic? Screenshots would be great.- Thanks (The $400 one at Costco right?)

Yeah. I'll take some pics tomorrow, so far I've had no problems with it and have enjoyed it.

Just a quick note for those considering buying that ATI "adapter" to connect component to this monitor (or any other DVI monitor, for that matter)... it is not really an adapter. It just gives you the ability to tap into ATI cards' component outputs. Think of it like the component dongle on 6-series nvidia cards, just hidden in the DVI connector. It won't work as a straight converter.

anyone play CS:S on this screen yet? im a clan member and i want a widescreen since source engine has native 16:10 and 16:9 support (doesnt stretch horizontal or shrink vertical, but increases FOV). im interested in ghosting and banding, my l90d+ has no ghosting but since its 6bit the banding get obvious sometimes.

Malatov said:
Not quite. Supporting the monitor's resolution and supporting widescreen are two very different things. Not all that many games truly support widescreen. For example, BF2 is a recent example of one that doesn't. The EA forums are full of people complaining about it too.

The game might run at the widescreen resolution, but the field of view is still at 4:3, meaning the image is stretched wide, resulting in a squashed appearance. Only games that truly support a 16:9 FOV will properly appear on a widescreen, meaning that you will see a wider area of the game than someone with a 4:3 FOV.

And to the other person who asked: no, this monitor nor the Dell 2005FPW will display 1600x1200 -- it's a 1680x1050 monitor, which is why I avoided it. 1600x1200 is a crucial resolution for me, so I'm not willing to give up the 150 vertical pixels. I bought a 2001FPW to get 1600x1200 and when the 2405's (1920x1200) drop below $750 again I intend to grab one of them.

How are you gonna run many games at 1600x1200 with a 6600GT?

Im tempted to jump on this even though I have a 2005FPW in a box waiting for a replacement.

Anyone know how it measures up to a 2005FPW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back