20.1" widescreen LCD $379 Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.
psyguard said:
Stats Page from Manufacturer:
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x20g_NagaIII.htm

Seems that they have a dvi to Component input converter for 1080i/1080p, as an optional dongle perhaps.
Looks interesting! I did a fleaBay search for "DVI to component cable" and turned up several hits, not sure if those would be the same kind of cable. If these did work, would make for interesting connection possibilities with Xbox360 or PS3 (esp. if this monitor truly can handle a 1080p PS3 signal). :p

Ditto, please share your thoughts if u have this. Looks really tempting. However it has that same strange aspect ratio (16x10) as the Dell FPs. Do games even support this? I know that Grand Theft Auto: Vice City does.

WOW, I'm surprised some of you are spreading misinformation.

The Dell has a 3 year warrantee not 1. The Dell has a 12ms response not 16. If you're going to compare products, at least use the real stats.

I have the 2005 and games play just fine. However I'm thinking of picking one of these up and giving it a spin anyway :D

Apallohadas said:
WOW, I'm surprised some of you are spreading misinformation.

The Dell has a 3 year warrantee not 1. The Dell has a 12ms response not 16. If you're going to compare products, at least use the real stats.

I have the 2005 and games play just fine. However I'm thinking of picking one of these up and giving it a spin anyway :D

not misinformation - just incomplete information:
Response Time 12ms typical (Grey to Grey) / 16ms typical (Black to White)

I would go with the black to white myself, but I have heard the 2005 was fine for gaming overall.

Just a quick vote for Costco's return policy - in a word, Phenomenal.

Before the change to 6 months for computers, my parents had a PC for almost 2 YEARS and ended up returning it with the receipt for a COMPLETE CASH refund.

I've personally returned an aiwa boombox 9 months later and gotten a full refund. And that was years ago - so the policy has always been great.

Better return policy than Wal-mart and that's hard to beat. I personally think Wal-mart should just add a "Rent-a-center" sign out front to help clarify their return policy. :)

waiting on our corp. dell rep to get back to me with pricing on a 2005 - if he can significantly beat this, i am buying a dell. otherwise... it's the sceptre for me.

only problem is now that my 9800pro running on my amd mobile (see sig) is going to be painful in newer games.

that's frustrating. at least before I had an excuse for running @ 1024.... :)

Darth Millennial said:
From the stats that I see it would work well for gaming.

How is that? There is no standard for latency and therefore the listed time doesn't mean it can play games good or not. It's just like the review I read on a Samsung display. The reviewers said they received the new Samsung LCD that was 8MS instaead of 18MS. They opened it up to see what electronics were different....same internal components....different method of rating.

BTW - We bought some LCD's which were made for someone by Sceptre....and the failure rate was horrible. They made a decent low price CRT but I sure as heck would stay away from their LCD's....RMA policies included. Check the warranty on the backlight too.

The good news here:

Some competition for the 2005FPW will tend to keep its price below $400.

Z(+)DIAC said:
This remind me, as much as I loathe and despise Wal-Mart, I have to say that I'm impressed with their return policy.

On the other hand I still question why so many people love the store? It's not like most of their items are such a steal compared to similar offerings from other competitors.

Costco is not a part of Walmart! I don''t believe they are owned by anyone.

Sam's Club is the warehouse store owned by Walmart. Sam's Club return policy is almost as good as Costco.

Brian Elfert

Arrgggg. Why did they not include HDCP on that DVI connection?

In related news, the Inquirer is reporting that Vista will be released in August for those who care.

wonkman said:

In related news, the Inquirer is reporting that Vista will be released in August for those who care.
Won't Vista require a special chip in monitors to output HD video?

wonkman said:

no HDCP -- Big deal if it doesn't actually improve the quality who cares, the added layer of complexity is yet to be proven an asset. We aren't talking about low speed data where there is time to buffer and recover this is too high speed... I'm far from convinced

Great find on the monitor btw.

too bad. i just bought my dell 2005fpw for 370shipped from dell.com on special promotion code offered at the forum of fatwallet. many got it for 360 but i had tax and stuff

Joe Fristoe said:
How is that? There is no standard for latency and therefore the listed time doesn't mean it can play games good or not. It's just like the review I read on a Samsung display. The reviewers said they received the new Samsung LCD that was 8MS instaead of 18MS. They opened it up to see what electronics were different....same internal components....different method of rating.

Anything over 20ms white to black is unusable for gaming due to blur. There are two standards for measuring latency, one is "grey to grey" and one is "white to black" -- it's important to know which is used to rate the screen.

BTW - We bought some LCD's which were made for someone by Sceptre....and the failure rate was horrible. They made a decent low price CRT but I sure as heck would stay away from their LCD's....RMA policies included. Check the warranty on the backlight too.

I smell FUD. Who were they made for, how many did you buy, what was the exact failure rate, where did you buy them from? As previously asserted, COSTCO's return policy is phenomenal, and if it doesn't work for any reason you can return it no questions asked for a refund.

I went to Costco and bought it. Zero dead pixels and nice bright screen. Since their website says you can use their DVI to component converter cable, I mainly bought it to be a poor man's HDTV. There's only one problem with that. I couldn't find anywhere on their website to purchase the cable. I called and they said the cable isn't for sale yet but supposedly will be in a "month or so." Even if it is, you'll have to call them direct to get it, which means you have to keep calling to see if it's available.

I searched for a couple hours last night and couldn't find any generic cable that would do this. All I kept finding was the ATI converter cable for PC to HDTV. I hope someone can find a cable for this as this was the main reason I bought it.

Kevin

Costco in Chandler, AZ didn't have them and had never even heard of the brand. Since the forums were down and I couldn't verify this, I figured it was only an online deal after all. However I saw this:

VA2012wb widescreen 20.1" LCD
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/aseries/va2012wb/

for $399. Figured its specs matched the Dells and I've been happy with Viewsonic in the past, so I snagged it instead. Thought it was a pretty good deal as well.

belfert said:

Sam's Club is the warehouse store owned by Walmart. Sam's Club return policy is almost as good as Costco.

Brian Elfert

Costco owns Kirkland.
Their so big they don't need advertisments, they have the most cash flow than any other store. They only accept chec/cash/american express.

However, Unlike Walmart killing small businesses, costco is designed to support small businesses.

I'll give this one a spin. Review coming in a week or 2

Costco owns their own Kirkland Signature brand, but it is not a seperate store chain. It's named after the city where they opened their first store (Kirkland, WA).

Sam's Club's return policy is nothing compared to Costco's... on top of that they try to sell you "service agreements" like Best Buy does.

Costco is hands down the best retailer... a manager from Fry's came in the other day and even admitted it! Although his wife does work for Costco...

On top of all that... generally the Costco people know a lot more about their products than their competitors :D.

belfert said:

Brian Elfert

Note: I am and have been fully aware that Costco has no affiliation nor is it a part of Wal-Mart. I also was aware that Sams Club however is a part of Wal-Mart. The reason I mentioend Wal-Mart was in reflection to their return policies, as it is equal, if not better to Costco's.

Jubby Salhi

"The lack of accuracy in transient states is not really bothersome.

On the other hand, the video experience was fairly mediocre. A lot of noise was visible in scenes where there was smoke or certain color gradients, like a sunset for example. It was unpleasant to watch"

tomshardware

be weary of the 8ms lcd's for anything other than gaming

:eek:

Oh crap dude! You had better run. You quoted Tom's Hardware on the [H]!

:eek:

*ps to all others....don't turn this into a soapbox. Stick to the deal.

kohan69 said:
However, Unlike Walmart killing small businesses, costco is designed to support small businesses.

teehee. You compared Wal-Mart and Costco. teehee.

So..What is the better deal if I intend to use it for regular work, such as Word, video editing, gaming, watching movies, HD-TV??
VA2012wb widescreen 20.1" LCD for $400
or
that Sceptre for $379?

I went to my local Costco (Fullerton, CA) and they had VA2012wb 20" for $399 and VA1912wb 19" for $300

I wish I could find some reviews on the 20" model.

These seem like really good prices for fast LCDs!

As I continue to use the Sceptre, I can say that 2D looks great. Text is crisp and clear. For gaming, however, I'm having a problem. I'm getting what I believe to be some kind of tearing. No matter what resolution I try, no matter high or low, when I move in a game the ground textures stutter and I see black lines appear and disappear alot. This does not happen on my Dell 2001FP at 1600x1200. It stumps me because it does it at every resolution.

As stated, I picked up the viewsonic and after several days of gaming it seems to work great at several different resolutions. Its of course most crisp at 1680x1050 (EVE is sweet at that res!), but its by no means crappy at the others. Then again, I'm not as picky as I used to be about image quality. I prefer just to have fun. :p

i got the dell 2005 for 438 - same res, more inputs, 3 year full warranty and free shipping through our business' account @ dell.

i thought about the sceptre but the more i thought about it the more i figured 50 or 80 bucks more for a brand i KNEW to be good with service I had a relationship with was worth it.

I just got the ViewSonic 19" WS LCD today.

I will be hooking it up tomorrow and taking pics after work. :D

My 20" model is due to arrive today based upon the tracking information. Once I get a chance to unpack and test it I will post my opinion.

flwolf said:
As I continue to use the Sceptre, I can say that 2D looks great. Text is crisp and clear. For gaming, however, I'm having a problem. I'm getting what I believe to be some kind of tearing. No matter what resolution I try, no matter high or low, when I move in a game the ground textures stutter and I see black lines appear and disappear alot. This does not happen on my Dell 2001FP at 1600x1200. It stumps me because it does it at every resolution.
vsync is your friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back