2 x GTX 460 <> 2x Output

Ensign.Fodder

[H]ard|Gawd
Help!

I have dual GTX 460's (SLI bridge is installed but SLI in control panel is disabled) and the second one seems to be unable to run even at stock speeds, but instead runs at 405Mhz no matter what I set (using MSI Afterburner) it. Is it throttling internally? Temps are around 35-40 C but lower then the other 460 that is clocking up. Folding performance is scaling down as expected with the lower core speed.

Did I get a POS card (FS-FT forum) or what?

Thanks

sounds like its stuck in 2d mode. google that, i know theres fixes to that but I dont remember right now.

its not throttling internally, its that theres nothing triggering the 3D clock mode. with SLI disabled make sure the second card is set as the physX card. it should lock the card in 3D mode. otherwise enable SLI. Nvidia fixed SLI cuda support with the 260.xx and newer drivers so you would just run 2 clients like normal and still be able to leave the card in SLI.

i would definitely blame the drivers before blaming the card as the issue.

its not throttling internally, its that theres nothing triggering the 3D clock mode. with SLI disabled make sure the second card is set as the physX card. it should lock the card in 3D mode. otherwise enable SLI. Nvidia fixed SLI cuda support with the 260.xx and newer drivers so you would just run 2 clients like normal and still be able to leave the card in SLI.

i would definitely blame the drivers before blaming the card as the issue.

Enabling SLI has helped but now I am getting a lot of kernel driver crash/resets when I try and push the OC's at all near levels that the single card did without problem.

Will swap PSU for better model maybe?

This may sound dumb but I was having a similar issue with a GTX260 I moved to a new box. It showed 2D speed clocks until I started folding on it then the frequency returned to what it should have been.

This may sound dumb but I was having a similar issue with a GTX260 I moved to a new box. It showed 2D speed clocks until I started folding on it then the frequency returned to what it should have been.
thats because you were seeing 2D clocks(single display) when the card was idle. his problem is slightly different.

Enabling SLI has helped but now I am getting a lot of kernel driver crash/resets when I try and push the OC's at all near levels that the single card did without problem.

Will swap PSU for better model maybe?

what psu and are you on linux?

what psu and are you on linux?

Windows 7 and a Cooler Master 750.

I think I need to check the command line settings, I know one is forced to GPU 0 and the other to GPU 1, but when I do an NVFLASH I see the on board GPU as zero and so on.

At work now but thanks for the help.

shouldn't matter what NVFLASH shows. the gpu numbers should be based on how the nvidia drivers see it. in my case its upside down.. bottom card is gpu0 top is gpu1.. bloody annoying when i'm trying to remember which client i'm closing and when looking at the graph on evga precision since gpu2 is my primary card on there.

psu shouldn't have any issues. though i'd blame the drivers over anything else. but i don't know since i still use the 258.96 drivers and don't have an SLI bridge installed.

shouldn't matter what NVFLASH shows. the gpu numbers should be based on how the nvidia drivers see it.

In NV control panel I see only two cards (both GTX 460's) so that was a dead end.

psu shouldn't have any issues. though i'd blame the drivers over anything else. but i don't know since i still use the 258.96 drivers and don't have an SLI bridge installed.

I am just going to have to be at home to get anywhere on this one - is there a good "sticky" on multi-GPU folding on nVidia?

Thanks!

I had Fermi cards do that to me. Bascially, I had to back off the overclocks little by little until they stopped doing it. Doesn't sound like your cards are getting too hot (75C+ is too hot for my Fermi's). In MSI afterburner, make sure you lock in 3d voltages if you have not already. Which reminds me, did you try upping your voltage a little on that card? Sorry, that's all I can think of right now. I can tell you that I've been there and it is frustrating.

In MSI afterburner, make sure you lock in 3d voltages if you have not already.

I had not but between enabling SLI, setting PhysiX to auto, and this it seems to have done the trick - two cards are ~ one card X 2.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

up the voltage on the cards. i did and fixed a ton of problems i was having with my 460's.

Some of my 460's same brand come with different bioses and have different stock voltages. i just link them together in afterburner and set the voltate a little higher and fixed all my instability issues.

up the voltage on the cards. i did and fixed a ton of problems i was having with my 460's.

Some of my 460's same brand come with different bioses and have different stock voltages. i just link them together in afterburner and set the voltate a little higher and fixed all my instability issues.

Running at 975mV like a champ now.

Thanks!

Back