[H]ard|Gawd
So i've bought a new computer with the following specs:
evga x58 sli
i7 920
12 gig ram
2 xfx radeon HD 4890s
1.5 TB hdd
windows 7 profession 64bit

i've run into numerous problems, maybe some of you can assist me in figuring out what to do.

1. Every couple of restarts, my computer will go to a BSOD, say I have a display driver issue. I'll try to boot into safe mode, reinstall the drivers then on reboot, i either get the BSOD again or i get to the windows start up page and it freezes. To get around that, i've done 5 clean installs of Windows 7 and it's very very annoying. I have yet to experience it on this install but who knows.

2. I am running the newest Cat drivers (9.11). My games are running terribly. In particular, Modern Warfare 2. I turn it on, its fine at the menus, the second it gets into rendering in game graphics the graphics card (i think the primary display one) begins to click and then slows down and clicks some more, but slower. Moving my mouse over the menu is jumpy and laggy. The second I move my view to the sky where it doesn't need to render much, the video card clicking speeds up incredibly fast but my menus run flawlessly. I've reinstalled the game twice now, the drivers thrice and to no avail.

3. The video card sees so heavy activity when I am just surfing the internet. When I scroll
up and down 5 times back and forth, the fan speed increases and my activity in the ATI overdrive panel soars to 97%....

Does any one know whats wrong? I'm ready to sell these video cards and go to nvidia.

I would try removing the primary 4890 and see how it runs on the 2nd card (possible faulty card), you could also try installing windows on a different hdd just to rule out any issues with the drive.

I've run xfire 4870 + 4890 on system in sig and it ran really good - even with just 1 card so there is definately something causing those issues, you just need to find out what.

I've tried each card separately, they both have the same problem. They are both brand new. I haven't OC'd anything on my system.

Before the first 2 sets of BSOD I was playing MW2 without problem. Now it runs like garbage. Could there be a problem with the primary PCI-E slot?
GPUz reports that I am running at 16x on both cards.

Borrow a card off a friend and see if it does the same, you can also try the cards in the 2nd slot.

I read another thread on [H] where apparantly some xfx 4890's are running slow like 8800gt speed, but you said yours was working fine at first so a bit strange.

Edit: Also i would strongly suggest trying a different hdd because the slow performance/bsod's could definately be related to a dying hdd - especially since it was working fine.

What PSU are you using?
That was my guess also.

P.S. I think the term CFX was used first to mean adding a card to a 4870, like a 4850 to allow performance gain.
Two same cards is called CF.

I would think that PSU would be plenty. I'd check supplied voltages with a monitoring program.

I'd also try running 6gigs of memory swapping out the three sticks to see if stable.

I finally got the two cards to work together. The card that I had as the primary is now in the secondary spot just for rendering. It definitely has a problem since it makes a horrendous noise but crossfire is working. I am going to call XFX or Newegg tomorrow and see if they will ship me a new one, the cards brand new so I don't see why they wont.

Back to CoD. Thanks for the help

Back