2 Titans or 2 GTX 690's for SLI

Island

Gawd
I know that A lot of you guys are thinking the same thing I am after reading the reviews that just came out on the Titan. I got up so early this morning after making a jumbo pot of coffee and after waiting for so many weeks.....and I am sadly unimpressed as most of you I bet also are

Reading Hilbert's review over at Guru3d...He kept saying that it was not really fair to compare the titan and 690, as the titan should really be focused as what it is...a single gpu, so it should be looked at with the 680/7970

That being said...I myself, along with the rest of you, I know kept looking at the 690gtx graph bar always being slightly higher then the Titan's and thinking WTF?! For the price, I really can't justify. It's sad because I really want to like and buy the Titan. on my Dell 30", 2 Titans in SLI would really rock, BUT...For the price, 2 690 gtx's would just rip...

Hilbert keeps saying...with the 690 you will get a little more "Boom-Boom-pow"
I guess we will have to see where prices are going to be once the card hits the shelves...I don't really want to pay more for a card if it will do less performance...It just does not make sense...The 6gb frame buffer does have me perplexed though, and Hilbert says that in the future with newer games, it will make a difference.....What is the general consensus here?

2 690's = 4 way sli. Scaling will be horrible. Go with 2 Titans if you really need that kind of power.

IMHO I look at it like this.I always had SLI x2 for the past few gens going back to GTX280.Followed by 285,480,and 580 all SLI. I longed for a single card that would be close to or above the top of the line card in SLI..Lo and behold the 690 arrived for $1k. Roughly the same price of 680 SLI and around the same performance in one slot. I was sold and ordered @ launch.Now with Titan,its $1k,single slot and slower than 690..For me,Ill pass. I think they missed the mark on this.If it handily smoked 690 @ $1k,I would have seriously considered the upgrade but as it stands,Ill be enjoying my 690 until 1 card beats it..

To answer OP,Im thinking if you have 1k in hand..690 may be the way to go for single slot fastest card.Looking to spend 2k,Titan may be the way to go as 2 690s could get wonky.

At your resolution with the single monitor, 2 x 7970's/670/680 wont push it to the max?

If you have the money to burn, then I vote for 2 x titans.

Thanks for the replies fellas...Man..I don't know...I just read the [H] review...... Kyle and Brent really seem to like the Titan....It is a great single GPU...."Build it and they will come" does ring true, as Kyle said....

Brent's last comment; kind of ironic-
I would personally rather run GeForce GTX 2-way SLI TITAN rather than a GeForce GTX 690 in my primary gaming machine. The GeForce GTX TITAN, as cliché as it sounds, is a TITAN among video cards.

I did find a website that reviewed two 690gtx's in SLI....As far as quad sli being a crap shoot...the benchmarks impressed the shit outta me.....Check it out...Jesus. Just makes things that much more difficult....I bet I will buy 2 Titan's though...I'm just a sucker for new tech and "Bleeding-edge gaming!"

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2975/nvidia-geforce-gtx-690-sli-review-ridiculously-powerful

11cglg5.jpg

Last edited:
At your resolution with the single monitor, 2 x 7970's/670/680 wont push it to the max?

If you have the money to burn, then I vote for 2 x titans.

Well, I am still running 2 580's but I am a "graphics whore" and I have to have everything cranked(as probably all of us on this forum) and I don't see 2 680's/2 7970's/or a single 690 doing that, and I would just be setting myself up for disappointment...I like playing ultra, and with the newest games...I probably would be better of with the Titan....

Well, I am still running 2 580's but I am a "graphics whore" and I have to have everything cranked(as probably all of us on this forum) and I don't see 2 680's/2 7970's/or a single 690 doing that, and I would just be setting myself up for disappointment...I like playing ultra, and with the newest games...I probably would be better of with the Titan....

At least with the titans, you can always add another if 2 isnt enough?

titans and water cool them :)

and if you need a 3rd.. you can add it l8r.

Yeah I thought it wasn't fair to compare titan with the 690 until we saw how bad 3x scaling usually is with it. My two use cases for titan was the hardcore FPS'er looking for fastest single gpu card or the multimonitor vega style user who will buy four. I didn't expect anyone to bother with "just two". I expected it to scale at least as well as the 680 did. Until they sort that then 680/690 quad sli should be compared to titan dual sli because anything more than dual SLI seems like a waste in 90% of cases. So far it looks like 690s win unless you know you need the vram in which case maybe titan takes over (but you could still get 4 680s with 4gb for a similar price if you have the motherboard for it)

The more reviews I read, and the more I think about it....I think I will bite and splurge on 2 Titans..I built my rig in April 2011 and I am putting together a new Ivy 3770k watercooled rig to replace this one...

I figure I might as well go for broke...I will end up buying 2 for this new system.... My current sandy and 580's can go downstairs and I can use it with my Sharp 80 as I always wanted to see how gaming looked on that screen. Can't wait for the 28th...

The more reviews I read, and the more I think about it....I think I will bite and splurge on 2 Titans..I built my rig in April 2011 and I am putting together a new Ivy 3770k watercooled rig to replace this one...

I figure I might as well go for broke...I will end up buying 2 for this new system.... My current sandy and 580's can go downstairs and I can use it with my Sharp 80 as I always wanted to see how gaming looked on that screen. Can't wait for the 28th...
If your going to splurge a nice 3930K would work better! ;)

Although I might wait for haswell, since that is a new socket? Going from the 2600K to 3770K isnt going to yield much.

Yeah I thought it wasn't fair to compare titan with the 690 until we saw how bad 3x scaling usually is with it. My two use cases for titan was the hardcore FPS'er looking for fastest single gpu card or the multimonitor vega style user who will buy four. I didn't expect anyone to bother with "just two". I expected it to scale at least as well as the 680 did. Until they sort that then 680/690 quad sli should be compared to titan dual sli because anything more than dual SLI seems like a waste in 90% of cases. So far it looks like 690s win unless you know you need the vram in which case maybe titan takes over (but you could still get 4 680s with 4gb for a similar price if you have the motherboard for it)

I have two 680's and briefly considered going to a Titan just get the single card benefits. After the benchmarks, that doesn't really seem worth it either.

I just don't see the point of these cards beyond what you've mentioned. If they were $750-800 I would do it.

You guys that have to have the latest and greatest but are thinking about getting GTX 690 could possibly get 1 GTX 690 and 1 Titan and SLI them. SLI may work for this combination.

You guys that have to have the latest and greatest but are thinking about getting GTX 690 could possibly get 1 GTX 690 and 1 Titan and SLI them. SLI may work for this combination.

No, they are not the same family of processor.

You'd be better off getting 4x SLI or 4x xfire rather than spending 2k on two titans, which would still be cheaper.

You'd be better off getting 4x SLI or 4x xfire rather than spending 2k on two titans, which would still be cheaper.

Quad SLI/CF do not scale as well as SLI and you're opening a whole other world of trouble with drivers when you go quad GPU. Not to mention not many motherboards support quad SLI/CF and the power requirements/heat produced are much greater as well.

I don't think there is *any* question that two titan's SLIed would be a better choice.

Why?

Well, it's simple.

You've only got 2GB VRAM per each GPU with the 690 quad-SLI setup.

If you are SLI-ing Titan's or 690's you obviously are running a high resolution setup, and that 2GB framebuffer is already inadequate.

SLI Titans. It's a far better choice and will use less power anyways.

No, they are not the same family of processor.

I thought they were similar based on [H]OCP review.

The GeForce GTX TITAN, first of all, is not NVIDIA's next generation of GPUs as we would expect follows the GeForce 600 series into the 700 series. Instead, GeForce GTX TITAN sits apart from the GTX 600 series, but is very much based on the Kepler architecture.

Worth taking a close look at if it is possible.

GTX 560 ti 448 could be SLId with GTX 570 and most recently HD7870 XT can be crossfired with HD7950/HD7970.....

I thought they were similar based on [H]OCP review.

Worth taking a close look at if it is possible.

GTX 560 ti 448 could be SLId with GTX 570 and most recently HD7870 XT can be crossfired with HD7950/HD7970.....

The GTX 560 ti 448 and GTX 570 are both GF110.

The HD 7870 XT and 7950/7970 are Tahiti.

The GTX 690 is GK104 while the Titan is GK110.

xfire scales just fine with the current drivers available.
besides that, 2k for 2 gpu's. lol. :rolleyes:

The GTX 560 ti 448 and GTX 570 are both GF110.

The HD 7870 XT and 7950/7970 are Tahiti.

The GTX 690 is GK104 while the Titan is GK110.

Thanks for the explanation. Understood.

Looks like SLI will only work with another Titan.

You can post pics of shit like that all day, there are plenty of people who have xfire/sli and don't experience any microstudder. :rolleyes:

You can post pics of shit like that all day, there are plenty of people who have xfire/sli and don't experience any microstudder. :rolleyes:

They experience it, they just don't care or notice it. Same thing with an off-color tint on an uncalibrated television ;).

They experience it, they just don't care or notice it. Same thing with an off-color tint on an uncalibrated television ;).

I have to ask, are you using the force to know that everybody in the world has it, or using cerebro? :D

I'll probably get a Titan when they come out.

I'm running a single 680 (5760x1080) and a Titan would give me a lot more power without going SLI.

I'm wondering if this card would let me turn on super sampling in Guild Wars 2 - I'm guessing that the memory bandwidth would really help.

I'll probably get a Titan when they come out.

I'm running a single 680 (5760x1080) and a Titan would give me a lot more power without going SLI.

I'm wondering if this card would let me turn on super sampling in Guild Wars 2 - I'm guessing that the memory bandwidth would really help.
Going from a 680 to a Titan? It will be a bit better, but for your resolution you want SLI/CFX.
Another 680 would give you a huge boost.

It comes down to $1000 for ~10-20% gain?

More like logic and common sense. :p

If that is using logic and common sense, then that is scary and hope they dont have a job where you need logic and common sense. :D

It's obvious logic. I'm scared that YOU don't understand that, actually. If something is objectively and measurably X, just because person 1 looks at it doesn't make it different than what it is because person 2 is looking instead. Simple, basic logic. And yes, I'm a developer... good thing, too, apparrently :)!

It's obvious logic. I'm scared that YOU don't understand that, actually. If something is objectively and measurably X, just because person 1 looks at it doesn't make it different than what it is because person 2 is looking instead. Simple, basic logic. And yes, I'm a developer... good thing, too, apparrently :)!
I guess I dont have obvious logic, nor do I have the infinite knowledge of how every person in the world perceives things. I just suck!

You are a developer, but are you a good one? Your all knowing about everyone, seems to me that is a no.

I guess I dont have obvious logic, nor do I have the infinite knowledge of how every person in the world perceives things. I just suck!

You are a developer, but are you a good one? Your all knowing about everyone, seems to me that is a no.

I even explained how the argument you just regurgitated is irrelevant to the conversation... and you still glossed right back over it. :rolleyes: And, my all knowing what did what to who now? :p

Back