• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2 sound cards in one machine?

justin82

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
404
Hello, I have a DFI SLI-DR, current for linux I use an audigy 2zs. I would like to dual boot with windows to play games so I can use my XFi card once again. would it freak windows out if I were to use one of the following cases.

1. XFi and Audigy2 but in windows only install xfi driver
2 XFi and onboard sound, with again only the xfi driver installed in windows with the other cards sound drivers installed in linux?

I wasnt sure whether to put this in either linux or audio so I put it here b/c I figured you audio pple would be more likely to know what then consequencs of having two cards in your computer would be. If its in the wrong place pls move it. Thx for your time
 
To be honest, I didn't bother reading your post. But why would you want to run 2 sound cards in the same machine, why?
 
Monkey_feces said:
To be honest, I didn't bother reading your post. But why would you want to run 2 sound cards in the same machine, why?

well if you did read it.. then you would know he is trying to run linux.. you would have read that there are drivers for the A2ZS but not the X-Fi.. hence the need for 2 soundcards.

OP: I would think you could install both sets of drivers in Windows and set the default soundcard to your X-Fi. Or you could just not install the A2ZS drivers.
 
I would just spend $$ and make a cheap computer just for linux. you can get the parts cheap.
 
Monkey_feces said:
To be honest, I didn't bother reading your post. But why would you want to run 2 sound cards in the same machine, why?
Lots of people who do, for quite a few reasons ;)

Running two myself, even had three running for shits and giggles, but eventually disabled the onboard.
 
I know you can run the Audigy 2 ZS and an EMU0404 together in windows with no problem, the trick is to install the Audigy 2 first(I think, been over a year :( ) and then install the EMU0404 but choose not to overwrite when prompted.

Now the EMU0404 and the X-fi are similar, so I assume the same proccess would work with the X-Fi and Audigy 2.

I ran the EMU with the Audigy 2 ZS for almost a year with no hassles.

Another thing you could do is just diable the Audigy 2 in windows so it uses no resources, that shouldn't have an effect on linux
 
Monkey_feces said:
To be honest, I didn't bother reading your post. But why would you want to run 2 sound cards in the same machine, why?

Well the reason I ran 2 soundcars, the Audigy 2 ZS and the EMU0404 was to use the higher quality DAC on the EMU0404 bu connecting the digital out on the ZS to the digital in on the EMU.

This way I got the great games support of the Audigy 2 ZS, but higher quality thanks to the DAC on the emu?

Comprende? ;)
 
Thanks for all the replies, I threw an old SB 5.1 card in I use for linux now, and windows uses the XFi. Although I did install the driver for the 5.1 so that later I can hookd my POD into it rather then having to unplug my mic on my XFi everytime I wanna record something.
 
Back
Top