2 pack 1.5TB Seagate @ Dell $199 + free 2nd day shipping

Received mine today, less than 48 hours since placing the order. About to throw them into my whs.

I ordered a set of two about 3 weeks ago and one of them is bad. I called Dell and they say that I have to call Seagate for an exchange. This is unlike Newegg in which if the drive is bad, you can call them for a refund.

So good luck to all who ordered.

I ordered a set of two about 3 weeks ago and one of them is bad. I called Dell and they say that I have to call Seagate for an exchange. This is unlike Newegg in which if the drive is bad, you can call them for a refund.

So good luck to all who ordered.

This had me worried, so before I went in for 2 I checked Dell's return policy.

Terms of Sale

..snip..

You must notify Dell within 21 days of the date of your invoice or acknowledgement if you believe any part of your purchase is missing, wrong or damaged.

Dell gives you 21 days ( al beit short), but that should be enough to know if a HDD is DOA. And Iwouldn't imagine Newegg or any other retailer's time frame would be too long after this.

Return Policies

..snip..

Exceptions to Dell's 21-Day Return Period:
  • New PowerEdge, PowerConnect, and PowerVault products purchased directly from Dell may be returned within 30 days from the date on the packing slip or invoice.
  • New Vostro, OptiPlex, Latitude, and Dell Precision systems purchased directly from divisions designated by Dell as Commercial or Public may be returned within 30 days from the date on the packing slip or invoice.
  • Application software and operating systems that have been installed by Dell may be returned only if installed on a returnable system, and only if you return that system within the applicable return period.
  • Dell EqualLogic and EqualLogic -branded products, Dell|EMC and EMC -branded products, PowerVault ML6000 tape libraries, non-Dell-branded enterprise products, enterprise software, and customized hardware or software products may not be returned at any time. Software licenses purchased under any type of volume license agreement may be returned only with the express approval of the publisher, which in many circumstances will not be granted.
  • Software licenses purchased under any type of volume license agreement may be returned only with the express approval of the publisher, which in many circumstances will not be granted.
  • <LI class=point_normal>New PowerEdge, PowerConnect, and PowerVault products purchased directly from Dell may be returned within 30 days from the date on the packing slip or invoice. <LI class=point_normal>New Vostro, OptiPlex, Latitude, and Dell Precision systems purchased directly from divisions designated by Dell as Commercial or Public may be returned within 30 days from the date on the packing slip or invoice. <LI class=point_normal>Application software and operating systems that have been installed by Dell may be returned only if installed on a returnable system, and only if you return that system within the applicable return period. <LI class=point_normal>Dell EqualLogic and EqualLogic -branded products, Dell|EMC and EMC -branded products, PowerVault ML6000 tape libraries, non-Dell-branded enterprise products, enterprise software, and customized hardware or software products may not be returned at any time. Software licenses purchased under any type of volume license agreement may be returned only with the express approval of the publisher, which in many circumstances will not be granted.
  • Software licenses purchased under any type of volume license agreement may be returned only with the express approval of the publisher, which in many circumstances will not be granted.

No mention of hard drives as an exception to the 21 days.

..snip..

How to Return a Product: Before returning a product, you must first contact Dell customer service and obtain a Credit Return Authorization (CRA) number before the end of the applicable return period. Dell will not accept returns without a CRA number. To find the appropriate phone number or to send an e-mail to customer service to request a CRA number, go to www.dell.com/contact, or see the "Contacting Dell" or "Getting Help" section of your customer documentation. NOTE: You must ship the product to Dell within5 days of the date that Dell issues the Credit Return Authorization number as follows:
  • <LI class=point_normal>Ship back all products you are seeking to return to Dell and for which you received a CRA number. For partial returns, your credit may be less than the invoice or individual component price due to bundled or promotional pricing or any unadvertised discounts or concessions. <LI class=point_normal>Return the products in their original packaging, in as-new condition, along with any media, documentation, and any other items that were included in your original shipment.
  • Ship the products at your expense, and insure the shipment or accept the risk of loss or damage during shipment.
Upon receipt of your return, Dell will issue a credit or a refund of the purchase price paid, less shipping and handling and any applicable restocking fees subject to this policy.

Note: Before you return the product to Dell, make sure to back-up any data on the hard drive(s) and on any other storage device in the product. Remove any and all confidential, proprietary, and personal information as well as removable media such as floppy disks, CDs, and PC Cards. Dell is not responsible for any confidential, proprietary, or personal information; lost or corrupted data; or damaged or lost removable media that may be included with your return.

Here that make direct mention of HDD's. I included the 'how to return' just in case.

so.. IF2

Good deal, but garbage drives. I'm on my second now which just started to make clicking sounds. Going to RMA for my 3rd. I wish I got 2 1tb drives and raided them.

Jumped on this. Needed more storage. Hope the drive is reliable.

I now have 8 of these drives and not a single one has given me any problems. 6 of them are in a RAID configuration and 2 are JBOD config. If you've gotten two bad ones in a row, the common denominator is you, not the drives. Check your crappy power supply or something.

I now have 8 of these drives and not a single one has given me any problems. 6 of them are in a RAID configuration and 2 are JBOD config. If you've gotten two bad ones in a row, the common denominator is you, not the drives. Check your crappy power supply or something.

umm, its not me. read the reviews. both were from the same batch which may be why and corsair is far from crappy. do your homework.

Wait, so let me get this straight. You are "on my second now, going to RMA for my 3rd." This implies that you have already RMA'd at least one. Then, with this message, you are claiming that you somehow received a second drive from an RMA FROM THE SAME BATCH AS THE FIRST? I'm going to call total BS on that. Presumably you purchased the first drive from a store (either online or at a B&M store) then RMA'd it ... so that would have taken at least a week. If you RMA'd it with Seagate then there is no possible way you got the same batch. If you RMA'd it with the store you purchased it from, instead of returning it, again, to get the same batch would be akin to winning the lottery unless you purchased it from an online store with an incredibly low turnover.

And how am I suppose to do my homework about your power supply, exactly? Again, the common denominator here is YOU and broken drives. I agree, if they are from the same batch, then that is likely, but with everything you've said so far, it sounds like BS. Do you care to modify your story before calling the drives garbage?

The drives work very well. I have three and they all run fine. The first drive seemed ok on my 780i motherboard until I filled it about half way and then I got the frozen desktop issue whenever I tried to read from it. A firmware flash resolved that problem and it worked just fine from then on. The two I purchased from Dell were defect free and passed all tests. They are happily storing hi def content on my Windows Home Server.

Wait, so let me get this straight. You are "on my second now, going to RMA for my 3rd." This implies that you have already RMA'd at least one. Then, with this message, you are claiming that you somehow received a second drive from an RMA FROM THE SAME BATCH AS THE FIRST? I'm going to call total BS on that. Presumably you purchased the first drive from a store (either online or at a B&M store) then RMA'd it ... so that would have taken at least a week. If you RMA'd it with Seagate then there is no possible way you got the same batch. If you RMA'd it with the store you purchased it from, instead of returning it, again, to get the same batch would be akin to winning the lottery unless you purchased it from an online store with an incredibly low turnover.

And how am I suppose to do my homework about your power supply, exactly? Again, the common denominator here is YOU and broken drives. I agree, if they are from the same batch, then that is likely, but with everything you've said so far, it sounds like BS. Do you care to modify your story before calling the drives garbage?

Well, you're right about the RMA, it was an exchange so I did misuse the term..but now I will be RMA'ing through seagate since the return period is over. About the power supply, it's in my sig, so a simple glance would have taken care of that. Instead, you come across as an asshole, which is fine, I can handle that. I know not ALL the drives are bad, so perhaps you got some of the good ones, but that's no reason to bash me and my experience. Fact of the matter is these drives have a high failure rate...higher than most, so stop getting angry and once again, do your homework (Google is a good place to start). A little research should bring you to the same conclusion. Is this a bad deal? No, but it's luck of the draw, so be prepared.

One more thing, how long have you owned your drives? Both of the drives suffer from the "Click of death" that Seagate is known for. One after 3 weeks, the other after 4 months.

Last edited:
got mine last week, latest firmware, RAID 5 (4 drives) working well.... I need a hardware RAID card now (not the 2300 rocketraid I have now)

My wife is up in Oregon for another week so I went ahead and jumped on the deal this time and saved myself 20 bucks in taxes :) Now all I have to do is hope the "2 day delivery" makes it to her before Friday.

Well, you're right about the RMA, it was an exchange so I did misuse the term..but now I will be RMA'ing through seagate since the return period is over. About the power supply, it's in my sig, so a simple glance would have taken care of that. Instead, you come across as an asshole, which is fine, I can handle that. I know not ALL the drives are bad, so perhaps you got some of the good ones, but that's no reason to bash me and my experience. Fact of the matter is these drives have a high failure rate...higher than most, so stop getting angry and once again, do your homework (Google is a good place to start). A little research should bring you to the same conclusion. Is this a bad deal? No, but it's luck of the draw, so be prepared.

One more thing, how long have you owned your drives? Both of the drives suffer from the "Click of death" that Seagate is known for. One after 3 weeks, the other after 4 months.

I have sigs turned off. Never really saw the point in them - Especially when most people have huge sigs that are larger than most of their posts. I wasn't aware you even had a sig.

So anyway, if you returned it and got another at a store then I can understand getting the same batch and seeing two bad drives. However, my original point is the drives are not garbage - bad drives are incredibly rare when compared to the amount of drives shipped. Higher than normal failure rate? Yeah, 6+ months ago - I don't see a higher than normal failure rate recently, so the kinks they've had were worked out back when there was the firmware issue.

I'm just tired of people dragging out the same old sob stories about problems from ancient history (in computer terms), then painting a whole line as "garbage" because of anecdotal evidence, when the empirical evidence suggest otherwise, as is the case here. So yes, I called BS on your statement that the drives are garbage. They aren't - they are excellent value for the money in terms of space. The 2 TB drives are twice as much as this with only 500 more GB. The 1 TB drives are only $20 cheaper, so the 1.5 TB drives in this thread represent the best value for the money in terms of storage space and the performance is no slouch either. It's not the fastest, for sure, but it's not atrocious either. These drives are anything but "garbage."

I have 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1's in my machine right now doing RAID 0 and I love them. However, I'm running low on storage. Are these drives as good of performers as those? The reason I ask is that someone in this thread mentioned they suck as OS drives. I just wanted some additional opinions. Thanks!

I'm just tired of people dragging out the same old sob stories about problems from ancient history (in computer terms), then painting a whole line as "garbage" because of anecdotal evidence, when the empirical evidence suggest otherwise, as is the case here.

I don't see how something that essentially just happened is ancient history.

He explained the reasons he considers it ancient history in his post.

Ok how's this... disregarding something that just happened a couple of months ago makes absolutely no sense.
Except that something didn't just happen "a couple months ago" because the faulty firmware was resolved six months ago. Those older drives are no longer being sold by Dell or any other reputable source, but if it makes you feel more comfortable not buying them then don't.

words words words... the drives were rushed, bottom line. there is more to them beyond firmware (both mine had corrected firmware). The firmware addressed random lockups and stuttering, not clicking. If your drive clicks, it is f***ed. if you wanna get butthurt because you bought one and got a great deal, go right ahead! i bought one, i'm dealing with it. no biggie. Luckily I have a few spare 500's that I backed all my data onto so no loss on my part. if it takes me 5 drives to get a good one, fine. as long as I do get one. after this though, I would just never RELY on this drive. raid0 seems like a timebomb to me.

words words words... the drives were rushed, bottom line. there is more to them beyond firmware (both mine had corrected firmware). The firmware addressed random lockups and stuttering, not clicking. If your drive clicks, it is f***ed. if you wanna get butthurt because you bought one and got a great deal, go right ahead! i bought one, i'm dealing with it. no biggie. Luckily I have a few spare 500's that I backed all my data onto so no loss on my part. if it takes me 5 drives to get a good one, fine. as long as I do get one. after this though, I would just never RELY on this drive. raid0 seems like a timebomb to me.

It is just words, words, words. You are making a claim with nothing but your own personal anecdotal evidence to back it up. Everyone else here is providing anecdotal evidence that is contrary to yours. So on the basis of anecdotal evidence, you are wrong.

The empirical evidence, from the thousands of drives shipped throughout the world and the 1 - 3% (which is perfectly normal for a line of drives) failure rate also shows that you are wrong. Either way you look at it, you are spreading FUD and BS. The drives are not garbage as a line of drives. They are an excellent value for the money. If you want to get all butthurt because everyone is calling on your BS, go right ahead! But don't bust out in a thread with bad data and expect everyone to just accept it.

Except that something didn't just happen "a couple months ago" because the faulty firmware was resolved six months ago. Those older drives are no longer being sold by Dell or any other reputable source, but if it makes you feel more comfortable not buying them then don't.

And if you feel comfortable with the value then buy them... Just realize that the only reason they are such a great buy is because so many other people do not trust them.

And how many tries did it take for them to get the firmware issue resolved? Even the fix was bricking drives. If you want to bury your head in the sand then by all means do so. But don't act like Seagate didn't have a debacle on their hands with both the initial problem and their attempt to fix it.

It is just words, words, words. You are making a claim with nothing but your own personal anecdotal evidence to back it up. Everyone else here is providing anecdotal evidence that is contrary to yours. So on the basis of anecdotal evidence, you are wrong.

The empirical evidence, from the thousands of drives shipped throughout the world and the 1 - 3% (which is perfectly normal for a line of drives) failure rate also shows that you are wrong. Either way you look at it, you are spreading FUD and BS. The drives are not garbage as a line of drives. They are an excellent value for the money. If you want to get all butthurt because everyone is calling on your BS, go right ahead! But don't bust out in a thread with bad data and expect everyone to just accept it.

Show me a stat that says its 1-3% and i'll eat my words. I believe it is more.

Show me a stat that says its 1-3% and i'll eat my words. I believe it is more.

Show me a stat that it is more than 1-3%.

The fact of the matter is that neither side here have any documented proof of the extent of this issue.

I've had 2 of these drives running since late last year (which came from Dell with the firmware that had no issues) and have had no issues at all.

I'm sure some have had issues with these drives, and I'm sure that some haven't had any issues with these drives.

Whenever I hear or see people argue about hard drive failure rates, I always point to this study Google did: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...DyYMmOnmVqfnx1udw&sig2=1S6gHmkFjvrv3kV-L9Y-Rg

To save you some reading, here is the part I think is worth reading:

The observed range of AFRs (see Figure 2) varies from 1.7%, for drives that were in their first year of operation, to over 8.6%, observed in the 3-year old population. The higher baseline AFR for 3 and 4 year old drives is more strongly influenced by the underlying reliability
of the particular models in that vintage than by disk drive aging effects.

So, as is typical when discussing any statistics, it's all in how you spin it. For example, you could say: "For the thousands of hard drives Google uses, they see only a 1.7% failure rate in the first year." Or, someone on the other side of the argument could say: "Within a typical 3 year warranty time span, Google sees a 8.6% failure rate".

I'll let ya'll continue to discuss, I just thought I'd throw some real data into the fray. I have no opinion either way because I'm not qualified enough to discuss failure rates with anything beyond my own anecdotal evidence which in a conversation like this is useless.

Back