• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2 or 2.1 speaker reccomendations pls...

PsycoGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2000
Messages
1,226
Here's the situation. The Wife and Son are using built-in speakers on their monitors. They suck... understatement... I want to get them both a set of 2.0 or 2.1 speakers that sound good but aren't overpriced. I was looking at these:

Creative i-trigue
Creative gigaworks
Logitech X-230

Some speakers I'm considering for myself as well:

Logitech Z-2300
Creative i-Trigue L3800
Altec Lansing MX5021

I am open to other suggestions, but keep in mind that I have a budget and Klipstech really doesn't fit into it too well. SNR is important to me, as well as sound quality, but the Wife and Son really can't tell the difference between a tuned audio setup and some string and paper cups... Also, I like the speakers I have now (see sig), but am getting tired of the hiss they always produce (low SNR). I want something better.
 
The hiss you're getting could be just due to bad power. My Monsoon PlanarMedia 14s always hissed, but after putting them on one of the regulated outputs of an AVR/UPS, it's gone away.

It's good practice to have your machine on an AVR/UPS anyway, might as well use it to filter your speakers' power, too!

That said, I have the X-230 and for the price they're quite excellent, and I have heard the MX5021 and quite enjoyed it (a friend has it and loves it) and have heard good things about the Z2300 (friends have it and love it). I've never seen or heard a good Creative speaker.
 
ElektronikSeraph said:
It's good practice to have your machine on an AVR/UPS anyway, might as well use it to filter your speakers' power, too!

My system has been on an AVR UPS for 5 years, actually two different ones. The speakers are plugged into a regulated outlet, but not a UPS outlet, but have been in the past. Makes no difference which outlet they are in. They have always had a bit of hiss. Back when I bought them they had an above average SNR, something like >75db. Now they are just barely average.

Thank you for the tip, even though I already knew it. I was in IT for 8 years and have been an advocate of regulated power from the get-go. Can't run servers and high-end networking equipment on outlets and extenson cords... :D

ElektronikSeraph said:
I've never seen or heard a good Creative speaker.

You never know... Things could have changed since I had my last set of them, about 4 years ago.
 
I would suggest:
Logitech X-230 for the wife and kid.
Altec Lansing MX5021 for yourself.
I would also suggest taking a trip to a local retail outlet to audition them before you buy them. ;)
 
Was planning that MisterX... Problem is that the last time I tried that at the local CC's and the BB, they were all pretty much non-functional displays. Not the speakers themselves, but the displays. The ones at the CC's didn't work at all, and the displays at BB worked half-assed at best. They got the Klipstech's working for me for about 30 seconds, then they crackled a bit and produced white noise. Other speaker sets just didn't work (no power or no sound). And the staff seemed disinterested the fact that I wanted to listen to a few different sets to compare them. Hell, they didn't even have anything decent to listen to... Poor customer service at best. If I go in again and they don't work I'm gonna get the manager to get them fixed on the spot, then after I'm done listening I'll say "Thank you very much, but your prices suck so I'm gonna go buy them off of Newegg."

Any reason you would choose the MX5021's over the Z-2300's?
 
altec lansing vs-4121s are a pretty nice cheap system, the new vs-4221 is the same thing i hear.
 
Any reason you would choose the MX5021's over the Z-2300's?

Better balance.
The sub on the Z2300's is a little to aggressive for my taste.
 
If I had the choice I'd go with the Altec Lansing MX5021's. I currently have a set of altec lansing 2.1's that aren't even made anymore and they still sound good. Not the greatest, as they have no tweater so there's a lack of higher end, but the midrange and sub work superb. I've owned them for the past 8 years (OMG has it really been THAT long???!!!) and never had a problem.

My second choice would be either of the logitechs you listed or these (which I just heard at a CC and they sounded great).
 
Mister X said:
Better balance.
The sub on the Z2300's is a little to aggressive for my taste.

Fair enough... I'll have to give them a listen. Mabe take my A2 with for a reliable sound source. Agressive base isn't a problem for me. My 641's sub shakes the whole house when I'm in the mood to crank it up.
 
what about the klipsch 2.1 system? You can get them on ebay for like $110 shiped...they'll blow all of those away.
 
Circuitbreaker8 said:
what about the klipsch 2.1 system? You can get them on ebay for like $110 shiped...they'll blow all of those away.

Quite frankly, I have listened to the Klipstech's and I'm not really impressed for the money. To me they sound a bit "flat". Loud, sure, but they don't seem to have a good mid-to-high sound to me. And if you really look at their specs, most of their systems are around 80db to 85db SNR rating. Way too low for something costing that much. They also don't publish the SNR... you have to dig to find it.

Also, in my post, second paragraph, I stated that Klipstech really isn't in my budget. Money wise, and for the above stated reason.
 
PsycoGeek said:
Quite frankly, I have listened to the Klipstech's and I'm not really impressed for the money. To me they sound a bit "flat". Loud, sure, but they don't seem to have a good mid-to-high sound to me. And if you really look at their specs, most of their systems are around 80db to 85db SNR rating. Way too low for something costing that much. They also don't publish the SNR... you have to dig to find it.

Also, in my post, second paragraph, I stated that Klipstech really isn't in my budget. Money wise, and for the above stated reason.

The Klipsch sound flat....never heard that one before. I had the Logitech Z-560 (4.1 400w) system before my Ultras and the difference was night and day. Logitech still doesn't even use a 2-way system :rolleyes: Have you listened to the Logitechs or Creatives? If you think the Klipsch sound "flat", I can't imagine what the other two sound like.
 
Circuitbreaker8 said:
The Klipsch sound flat....never heard that one before. I had the Logitech Z-560 (4.1 400w) system before my Ultras and the difference was night and day. Logitech still doesn't even use a 2-way system :rolleyes: Have you listened to the Logitechs or Creatives? If you think the Klipsch sound "flat", I can't imagine what the other two sound like.

This thread isn't here for you to criticize my taste. If you can't post anything usefull, don't post. Moderator notified.
 
I myself have used the mx5021's for about a year and a half, and i must say they are worthwhile. Sure, i hadsome white noise, but i blame the power in my building. I recently upgraded to the klipsch 5.1 ultras (god bless my poor soul hehe) but I do miss the altec's a bit as they were a much smaller footprint hehehe.

but in any event, if you can find them, get the mx5021's i doubt you will be disappointed. Just dont expect to be cranking your bass like the bass hog that logitechs are LOL. well, logitech 2.1's arent that bad, but compared to my prior set, the logitech z-560 which had boomy bass, it was a pleasant transition.

the altec's produce a clean bass, and not over powered or muddy. Its tighter, and is rich. I listen to a lot of classical music and string bass heavy jazz, and man do they sing ;-)

Well, thats my two cents worth. cheers!!
 
PsycoGeek said:
This thread isn't here for you to criticize my taste. If you can't post anything usefull, don't post. Moderator notified.

The Klipsch sound flat....never heard that one before. I had the Logitech Z-560 (4.1 400w) system before my Ultras and the difference was night and day. Logitech still doesn't even use a 2-way system Have you listened to the Logitechs or Creatives? If you think the Klipsch sound "flat", I can't imagine what the other two sound like.


1. The Klipsch sound flat....never heard that one before. --Its true, 99% of the people here will back me up on that....especially when you're comparing them to Logitechs.

2. I had the Logitech Z-560 (4.1 400w) system before my Ultras and the difference was night and day --Personal opinion, i've experienced both.

3. Logitech still doesn't even use a 2-way system--Fact.

4. Have you listened to the Logitechs or Creatives? --Question

5. If you think the Klipsch sound "flat", I can't imagine what the other two sound like. --The truth, if you think the klipsch sound "flat", how are speakers with no tweeters supposed to sound.

-----------------
OH NOES LETS CALL THE MODS
:rolleyes:
 
I have an older version of the creative i-trigue 2.1...the 3500 or something like that. I bought it because it has the highest bass wattage i could find in that price range, 80 Watts i believe. I love those speakers. The subwoofer hits hard, but is adjustable using the wired-remote, i think i piss off my downstairs neighbors quite often playing FPSs. I suggest the creative 2.1 system. The mid and high range sounds are very clear and crisp for this price range. The only complaint i have is when i want to use headphones, the headphone jack in the wired- volume remote produces a lot of background fuzz. But then again, my speaker system is 2 years old. Maybe they fixed that problem in the newer models.

Oh, and music sounds great through them too! :D
 
If you were to choose from Logitech and Altec I say go with Logitech. You can equalize the settings and make it sound to your liking. And another the Klipsch arent as good as people make them seem. Yeah they have 2-way speakers but the sub on the 2.1 whistles when you start to crank the volume up. And you cant put the volume as loud or they start to distort, and its to the person's liking some people dont like how Klipsch sound but like how Logitech sounds. Its personal preference.
 
I am about to order the Z-2300 after listening to them at comp. usa. They had a ton of speakers working and a second after I pressed "the red button to hear stuff" I fell in love with the sounds being produced by the logitechs. They sounded good even from the crappy source that they were being fed. They have a powerfull subwoofer and the set sounds very nice at low volumes. With the Klipsch, they started to shine at higher volumes. I have not heard the Altec's but will recommend the Logitech Z-2300's easily.
 
BMWlover said:
With the Klipsch, they started to shine at higher volumes.

My point about the Klipstechs, what little I was able to listen to them. At the volume levels I listen at, they sound flat to me.

Thanks for the input... I'm gonna try to get to BB and CC this weekend for another try at listening to a bunch of speakers.
 
well these speakers are pretty much teh bomb with 800 watts of power and they are sure affordable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836131013

on a more serious note ive got the klipsch 2.1 and recomend them but if you feel like being cheap the logitech 2.1 is ok but for the same price this would be better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836150032
and for a few more bux you can get this which is leaps better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836150028
 
firered4 said:
If you were to choose from Logitech and Altec I say go with Logitech. You can equalize the settings and make it sound to your liking. And another the Klipsch arent as good as people make them seem. Yeah they have 2-way speakers but the sub on the 2.1 whistles when you start to crank the volume up. And you cant put the volume as loud or they start to distort, and its to the person's liking some people dont like how Klipsch sound but like how Logitech sounds. Its personal preference.

I have the Klipsch 2.1's and the bass doesn't whistle nor do they distort at loud volume. But for detailed sound I prefer my Monsoon Planar speakers. If you like lots of thump in your music and DVD viewing then the Klipsch are better.
 
Best Buy has the 2.1 klipsch on sale for $99 instore I would get that and run like a bandit.
 
dukie said:
I myself have used the mx5021's for about a year and a half, and i must say they are worthwhile. Sure, i hadsome white noise, but i blame the power in my building. I recently upgraded to the klipsch 5.1 ultras (god bless my poor soul hehe) but I do miss the altec's a bit as they were a much smaller footprint hehehe.

but in any event, if you can find them, get the mx5021's i doubt you will be disappointed. Just dont expect to be cranking your bass like the bass hog that logitechs are LOL. well, logitech 2.1's arent that bad, but compared to my prior set, the logitech z-560 which had boomy bass, it was a pleasant transition.

the altec's produce a clean bass, and not over powered or muddy. Its tighter, and is rich. I listen to a lot of classical music and string bass heavy jazz, and man do they sing ;-)

Well, thats my two cents worth. cheers!!

dukie... YGPM.
 
Back
Top