2 NICs, Bridged. Extra Bandwith or waste of a NIC?

Wow. This is about the vaguest post I've ever seen here. I don't even know what I am supposed to say yay or nay to. I guess I'll say nay and let you figure out which part of the question I am answering. :p

jpmkm said:
Wow. This is about the vaguest post I've ever seen here. I don't even know what I am supposed to say yay or nay to. I guess I'll say nay and let you figure out which part of the question I am answering. :p
whats so difficult to understand?

scientificTHEgreat said:
whats so difficult to understand?
What he is asking and what he hopes to accomlish. He provides no information as to what equipment or what software he is using. In the title he says 'extra bandwidth or wasted nic' and then he wanted us to reply 'yay' or 'nay'. Which one is yay and which one is nay?

I have my two nics plugged into different subnets on my network. I have only one enabled at a time. The one I usually use runs on my green zone. That uses my home server for DNS, exchange, etc and has to go through a couple of switches. So whenever I am working on my server offline, I lose Internet. I have also had a switch freeze on me. My other nic is directly plugged into its own dedicated nic on the firewall through a single crossover cable. So all I have to do is enable it and I have a direct line out. But I only did this because my mobo came with 2 built on nics.

Kritter said:
yay or nay?

Bridging in windows would be to extend an existing connection to another interface, then another node on the LAN. Added bandwidth isn't part of the discussion when your talking about NIC bridging so Nay.

What your asking about, combining two NIC's would be called bonding, or teaming. Bridging is say, when you have a wired computer connected to a switch and you also have a wireless NIC in that machine. You'd then run the wireless card in Ad Hoc, connecting to another machine with a wireless card. A laptop for instance that you didn't want tethered to the wired infrastructure, the switch.

jpmkm said:
What he is asking and what he hopes to accomlish. He provides no information as to what equipment or what software he is using. In the title he says 'extra bandwidth or wasted nic' and then he wanted us to reply 'yay' or 'nay'. Which one is yay and which one is nay?
i guess im on the same wave length as him then because i understood the question from the title

basically hes asking if he bridges the two NICs is he going to see a boost in bandwidth...or is it just a waste of an extra NIC

Right, the problem is, based on the limited information he gave, is he doesn't understand what bridging is or he wouldn't have asked about bandwidth.

As has been said above, if we're talking about normal NIC's here and Windows Bridging then nay... because that's not what it's designed for.

However, if these were Broadcom or Intel NIC's that supported either the BACS or PROset teaming, you could setup a load balancing team but then again your switch has to have the ability to support that so, considering this is probably a home setup, the answer is still nay.

Back