• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2.8 to 4GHz

g33x0r

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
126
Hey all, I've seen some other threads on here where people have said they have reached 4GHz with a 2.8C. I'm planning on swapping out my current memory for some PC-4000 either Corsair or OCZ and wanted to know how feasible it was to reach 4GHz with my current system:

see sig or for lazy people:
Gigabyte 8IK1100 mobo
p4 2.8C @ 3.5 1.575v
4 x 256MB OCZ Platinum ED PC3200 (to be swapped out for new RAM 2x512MB PC-4000 either OCZ or Corsair)
BFG 6800GT @ 400, 1.11
Aspire 500W PSU

I know a lot of people don't like the Aspire PSU's but it has worked flawlessly for me so far. Obviously my CPU multiplier is 14 so I would have to run a FSB of 286 to hit 4GHz, just wondering if people think this is or isn't doable, and will I need to do any kind of modding to the mobo? What core CPU voltage have people running big OC's on the old northwood's had luck with, above 1.7? As of right now I'm not worried about cooling as I just put in a watercooling system and it hasn't went above 41C on full load since I put it in. This isn't great but should suffice for what I want to do, feel free to disagree, but please leave a reason why if you do so I understand why.

edit: right now I'm running a FSB of 250MHz
 
It's doubtful that you will hit 4Ghz with that chip at all. Possibly under phase change, but I wouldn't count on it being 24/7 stable. 3.7ish is a better goal to reach for.
 
MemoryInAGarden said:
It's doubtful that you will hit 4Ghz with that chip at all. Possibly under phase change, but I wouldn't count on it being 24/7 stable. 3.7ish is a better goal to reach for.

Truth, the 2.8C was never touted as one of the kings of overclock.
 
Ive got my 3.0 ghz watercooled and I cant get it to run stable past 3.4 i can run it for a while there, but when I start playing HL2 I shutdown.
 
ReconSniper said:
Ive got my 3.0 ghz watercooled and I cant get it to run stable past 3.4 i can run it for a while there, but when I start playing HL2 I shutdown.

I've been running stable @ 3.5 since last august, and until recently this was on air cooling.... I just figured if I bumped up the voltage to about 1.7 that it would be able to at least hit 3.7-8ish and maybe 4GHz
 
get some TCCD ram, OCZ is mostly known for their VX ram which will require a divider and over 3V to run with a high FSB.

TCCD shines at high FSB speeds, I believe Samsung or G.Skill makes some pretty good TCCD for not too much. Geil is cheaper I think, dunno if they make good TCCD though.
 
Russ said:
get some TCCD ram, OCZ is mostly known for their VX ram which will require a divider and over 3V to run with a high FSB.

TCCD shines at high FSB speeds, I believe Samsung or G.Skill makes some pretty good TCCD for not too much. Geil is cheaper I think, dunno if they make good TCCD though.

Depends, on Socket 478 he may be better off with UTT or WinBond chips, I certainly regret buying it, I had to later on return it... I have a link over at xtremesystems if you're interested.

Also, GeIL is one of the most underrated memory-makers in the business
 
I would greatly appreciate links for that memory info and/or where to get it, thanks guys!
 
I have a 2.8C that runs stable @ 3.8ghz, no longer have the hosting but I have a screeny if you want. I use Geil PC4000 I've had it stable up to 292fsb, but the 2.4c wouldnt go any higher. Using timmings 3 4 4 8@3.1V. It's feasible to run @ 4ghz on a 2.8 but not common. I run water now, and havent been able to achieve anything higher, even at a lan party last winter where the garage we were in dropped to 50ambient, load temps were 34C, still couldnt go higher.
 
2.8e is far more likely of hitting 4.0 with good cooling than 2.8c
 
VX and most Windbond UTT will make his system throw up. VX was not meant for intel. And what do you mean you need a divider? VX 4000 on AMD does 250 2,2,2 and with incresed volts ive seen 280+ at 2,2,2. So dont get VX get TCCD.
 
I got a few systems built but I can tell you this my 2.4c I have in one of my systems I have running on air cooling at 3.4ghz. 2.4c cpu is great for oc'ing bang for buck!
 
my buddy Stiffler has some Corsair PC-4000 Pro he's gonna let me try out to see if I can push it up higher before I go and buy anything, I'll have to check into that TCCD shiz, if that works I'm about to upgrade my watercooling from a regular Black Ice Extreme radiator to a Black Ice Extreme II, double the radiator should help out quite a bit I would think, I'll post some results of testing that Corsair when I do it
 
Its possible but doubtful on air........
you'll need the right board so you can get the voltage to your ram
 
vx is probably really good for p4s, the problem is modded mobos are needed, the reason is every voltage on the motherboard runs through the nb, each one of these voltages will improve overclocking preformance, this is the reason why people run agp so high on p4 boards
 
ReconSniper said:
hmm, maybe I should bump the voltage.

Firstly, what PSU do you have? having a crap PSU will effect o/c severely. Antec Smartpower isnt good btw, just incase you have one.

Secondly, what voltage are you running/are you thinking of running? a 3.0c can take 1.65 without damaging the chip (actually like 1.7 cause sudden northwood death syndrome starts after 1.7).

Lastly, Asus motherboards are shit for holding voltage. The P4C and P4P both had bad problems when it came to 'droop'. Read up online about some mods and you can volt-mod your motherboard. With a 3.0C you should at least get 3.5 - 3.8 on water unless you got some really really bad luck in chip buyin, which i doubt. On air (im using a high-speed panaflo, not my tornado) i couldnt get 3.6 stable but after the volt-mod it holds 3.6 in Prime95 without a single hitch.

So basically, get good PSU, bump voltage to around 1.6 - 1.65 and check for 'droop' in asus-probe when you run something like prime95 or rthdribl and if its quite alot (like 0.05 - 0.08) then think about a volt-mod or an Abit IC7-G motherboard lol. I'm never buying anything Asus again cause of their crap motherboard voltages.
 
i would set a divider and see how high the chip can go before spending alot of money on ram.
 
ryuji said:
vx is probably really good for p4s, the problem is modded mobos are needed, the reason is every voltage on the motherboard runs through the nb, each one of these voltages will improve overclocking preformance, this is the reason why people run agp so high on p4 boards

Couldnt be more wrong. VX is awful on P4 or any Intel for that matter, iv talked to my contacts at OCZ, and they all said the same. Voltage is not the problem.
 
i was saying it on the principle that its bh-5's replacment, bh-5 is real good for p4s
 
the FSB won't be the problem

# 1 problem will be the chip, not many Northwoods will do 4Ghz. (unless you got a vapochill)

# 2 problem will be that most memory doesn't like to run that high with out a lot of juice. That can be fixed easily by using the ratios, but for some reason people think its going to kill their performance. WHICH IT DOES NOT. In fact it can help it even at the same FSB, b/c you can usually use tighter timings which gives you better real world performance, AND it usually lets you reach a lot higher FSB = higher CPU clock.
 
ziddey said:
what is vx??

A brand of OCZ memory. They use winbond CH-5 chips I believe. There is a value vx that uses UTT chips (untested) that have not been speed binned. I have mine at 230 MHz 2-2-2-5 timings at 3.2 volts on my Abit AS8 with 3.4 prescott.
 
ryuji said:
i was saying it on the principle that its bh-5's replacment, bh-5 is real good for p4s

bh5 will do it, but dont look to ch5 and utt to do it.
 
The board and memory in this review is probably your best chance at hitting 4.0.
Epox 4PDA2+ and OCZ pc4000 Gold
http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?rev_id=172&page=1&action=reviews

With them, I had my 2.8C @ 3.71 with the stock Intel cooler, vCore @ 1.625 and vDimm @ 2.8. There was room to go, but the temp was getting beyond what I felt was safe. I haven't taken the time to push it again since I got a new cpu cooler.

Of course it's luck of the draw, as to how high the 2.8 you get will go.
 
OCZ pc4000 gold would probably be awsome for your rig, because you wont max it out.
 
well I tested my system with Stiffler's RAM which was Corsair PC-4000 XMS Pro (the lighted stuff hehe) and I was able to POST @ 3.86 (275FSB) but nothing higher and was able to get into windows run with no problems @ 3.78GHz (270FSB) I had to bump up the core voltage to 1.68 to get 3.78 stable in windows. So basically if I want to spend some money on some PC-4000 RAM it'll let me go from 3.5 which is was stable at before to 3.78 which isn't a huge jump so I'll probably wait until I have some money to blow before I buy new RAM just for that extra 278MHz. When I was running 2 instaces of command line F@H the temp got up to 44C at the highest and was around 35-37C idle. I have some screenshots also, I'll have to post those later, they're not on this comp.

I have yet to run the tests as long as some of the hardcore peeps on here before they would call anything stable but when I get my PC back upstairs I'll do more testing (it's downstairs hooke up to my tv so I can watch enterprise eps :) )
 
buy the mushkin pc4400, its $230 and it uses tccd and brain powered pcb, the chips are same stepping as the g-skill ones that are pretty guarenteed to do 300+ mhz
 
lithium726 said:
i would set a divider and see how high the chip can go before spending alot of money on ram.

I've never had much luck running dividers with Intel machines. With A64's they are great because you can max out the chip with tight timings, but my ASUS P4P wouldn't post with anything other than 1:1 ratio :(.
 
Back
Top