2.5g issues, Do I need a switch?

bastage

Pics of your wife?
Title isnt exactly what the question is..

I am having issues with random drops while connected via ethernet. Going to try to step through whats going on in order

Base setup is Cat 5e going to a DLink DGS-1024D

Everything was good with no issues using onboard intel gigabit ethernet.
25' cables used for this run
Built a new rig with onboard Realtek 2.5g (gigabyte aorus pro ax mitx) - this is where I started having random ethernet drops - Windows reflecting no cable connected - Switching to WiFi was fine, but of course slower.
Swapped ports on the switch - no change
Switched Cat 5e cables - no change
None of the other devices hardwired or wifi having an issue with this.
Daughter wanted a gaming rig & will only be using WiFi - woot reason to upgrade
Built another new rig this time with onboard Intel 2.5g (asus rog strix b550-i mitx) - same issue
Forced the ethernet to 1gb - same issue

So at this point 2 computers with 2 different adapters & thus drivers with 2 different cables in 2 different ports having the same issue. The only hardware that was used in both the old & new systems was the rx6800 gpu so I reasonably positive its not a hardware issue in the PC. Software wise a fresh install of windows & nothing management wise installed.

So I am at this point moving down the stream to figure out what the hell is causing this. So before I go buying a switch to add in conjunction with the current one does anyone have any other idea's of what I should try before I order one of the like 4 possible unmanaged switch's that are available (leaning towards the trendnet 8 port if I do since in addition to my desktop my NAS has a 2.5g & my girlfriend is about to get a B560 based system that has 2.5 as well so that would give me a bit of room for future use while still leaving all the 1gb stuff attached to the DLink I have now).

I can’t comment directly as I don’t have this chipset but sounds like many others have your issues.

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/9873/aorus-realtek-network-adapter-problem?page=6

Having your switch in my basement, I know it’s quite old and limited. It could be source of the problem but your issues are quite similar to the ones mentioned in thread I linked. Mix of driver, firmware and OS settings - the usual song and dance of bleeding edge tech.

I can’t comment directly as I don’t have this chipset but sounds like many others have your issues.

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/9873/aorus-realtek-network-adapter-problem?page=6

Having your switch in my basement, I know it’s quite old and limited. It could be source of the problem but your issues are quite similar to the ones mentioned in thread I linked. Mix of driver, firmware and OS settings - the usual song and dance of bleeding edge tech.

yeah I know that switch has some miles on it. The link you have isn’t even to the chipset I’m using now but the issue is identical between the Intel and realtek.

yeah I know that switch has some miles on it. The link you have isn’t even to the chipset I’m using now but the issue is identical between the Intel and realtek.
I mainly passed that link along as it had various "try hope and pray" tasks.

One step I would try in your equation, if you can, is plug directly into your router other network appliance just to test to see if behavior continues. I have my suspicions on the switch being the cause as I think it would negotiate what it think its needs or just flat out be down. Especially hard coded to 1G in Windows. The more I read on these 2.5g cards the more experimentation seems to be running their deployment at the desktop class level.

I mainly passed that link along as it had various "try hope and pray" tasks.

One step I would try in your equation, if you can, is plug directly into your router other network appliance just to test to see if behavior continues. I have my suspicions on the switch being the cause as I think it would negotiate what it think its needs or just flat out be down. Especially hard coded to 1G in Windows. The more I read on these 2.5g cards the more experimentation seems to be running their deployment at the desktop class level.
Yea I went ahead & ordered a 2.5gbit switch today. Its quite the task to run anything new even in the same room with the cable management I have everywhere. So I am hopefully going to have it all done at once. Already gotta pull shit apart because I got a new mouse & had to run a new displayport cable to resolve a flicker issue on my 1440p monitor (sit stand desk with my system off to the left & the switch/router/modem behind me though some surface mount wire mold). So I will give it all a shot this weekend & hopefully have everything ran & working correctly.

Back