$2,500 RTX-5090 ( 60% faster than 4090 )

Even AIBs were led to believe that. Have you seen the size of their coolers? With the 4090 GPU only using about 1v and the amount of thermal headroom the cards have I’m convinced nvidia had a 4090ti in the pipeline, they just had no reason to release it.

Yeah this generation of AIB cards is absolutely ridiculous when it comes to the physical dimensions. So glad it's looking like next gen is going to dial that back.

I'd rather take the huge coolers vs the old 2 slot blowers. Remember the sound tone pitch those had? Literally vacuum cleaners roar lol.

Can kind of agree with that. Smaller fans on smaller heatsinks tend to have an extremely annoying high pitched noise to them. It's fine for old people and concert goers that have lost most of their hearing, but mine is pretty sensitive on the high end.

While it sucks for SFF builders, this gen was incredibly quiet all around. My Suprim X Liquid is basically silent. Sometimes that fan on the actual blower portion of the card is ever so slightly audible, and that's about it.

Can kind of agree with that. Smaller fans on smaller heatsinks tend to have an extremely annoying high pitched noise to them. It's fine for old people and concert goers that have lost most of their hearing, but mine is pretty sensitive on the high end.

While it sucks for SFF builders, this gen was incredibly quiet all around. My Suprim X Liquid is basically silent. Sometimes that fan on the actual blower portion of the card is ever so slightly audible, and that's about it.
Yea in fact if I leave mine on the stock Nvidia drivers default on some games the fans don't even turn on lol 😆 I think it's something like 55c or more when they activate that's sweet

I'd rather take the huge coolers vs the old 2 slot blowers. Remember the sound tone pitch those had? Literally vacuum cleaners roar lol.

Who said anything about going back to blower style coolers? Nobody likes those either, I just prefer a reasonable sized card with reasonable power draw these days vs some quad slot monster so I'm glad the 5090 is looking to be something along those lines. I mean just look at the size difference going from a 3090 vs 4090.

1718258808535.png

Who said anything about going back to blower style coolers? Nobody likes those either, I just prefer a reasonable sized card with reasonable power draw these days vs some quad slot monster so I'm glad the 5090 is looking to be something along those lines. I mean just look at the size difference going from a 3090 vs 4090.

View attachment 659561

Right, but while my EVGA 3080 Ti (which is in a similar power draw bracket, and same generation) is generally quiet enough, it's not "pretty much silent". So this is fully selfish and personal, but for me I actually prefer this generation. Those giant heatsinks mean extremely good thermals across the board (except for ASUS, who decided that some of their cards were just going to suck at making contact with the VRAM and/or VRM iirc) and the cards are all extremely silent. To me that matters more than size. Most cases can still accommodate them outside of SFF, and there's still a 1x PCIE slot or two free for any expansion needed.

If there was actually money savings to be had due to them being smaller, I would be on board... but if this gen ends up being 2.5k, yeah no way in heck am I going to see a smaller heatsink that they spent less money on as being a good thing.

View attachment 659561
Agreed. Attached is my 3080 pulled from an Alienware compared to my 4090 in addition to it being several inches longer, it’s also 50% thicker.

Attachments

• IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 0
Even AIBs were led to believe that. Have you seen the size of their coolers? With the 4090 GPU only using about 1v and the amount of thermal headroom the cards have I’m convinced nvidia had a 4090ti in the pipeline, they just had no reason to release it.
Supposedly they were working on some crazy 600W or higher Ada Titan card that got scrapped too.

Agreed. Attached is my 3080 pulled from an Alienware compared to my 4090 in addition to it being several inches longer, it’s also 50% thicker.
Wait till you see the 5090.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 9.32.16 AM.png

Last edited:
I hope they have giant heatsinks for super quiet operation and great thermals like the 4xxx series did. Heavenly. I bought a new case just for them.

One thing I like about my 3090 Founders is the cooler. It is huge, but it is quiet. The fans just don’t need to go very hard.

Smaller heatsinks are NEVER good.

That become a bit hard to word 2.4-2.7 time the performance, so around 140%-170% faster ?
Then the question becomes will I even notice the difference in the games I play or even care?

I rather prefer smaller efficient cards vice monsters that consume motherboard and case real-estate. Still, the 2 slot EVGA 3090 did not cool well and I ended up putting a water cooler on it, so whatever the solution, it needs to work and work well even if it has to be large.

Since Nvidia never mentioned a release date for the 50 series, I do not consider a 2025 launch a delay since Nvidia never committed to a firm date. When in 2025 becomes the next question. I rather Nvidia release when they have a sufficient number of cards so they don't run out in 10 minutes and one ends up wasting time trying to get one for several months. For once, a proper launch would be nice without the hype and inflationary tactics.

Then the question becomes will I even notice the difference in the games I play or even care?
Yes, but you don't mention what games you play. If you're playing a game that is struggling to maintain 60 FPS then it's a big difference. Lets say you're averaging 50 FPS. 50 * 2.7 = 135 FPS. You're now all of a sudden able to play at a locked 120 Hz or 144 Hz with VRR. Even if you're already getting great performance in the games you play that means you can increase the details, the resolution, stop using DLSS, or all three.

I rather prefer smaller efficient cards vice monsters that consume motherboard and case real-estate. Still, the 2 slot EVGA 3090 did not cool well and I ended up putting a water cooler on it, so whatever the solution, it needs to work and work well even if it has to be large.

Since Nvidia never mentioned a release date for the 50 series, I do not consider a 2025 launch a delay since Nvidia never committed to a firm date. When in 2025 becomes the next question. I rather Nvidia release when they have a sufficient number of cards so they don't run out in 10 minutes and one ends up wasting time trying to get one for several months. For once, a proper launch would be nice without the hype and inflationary tactics.

If you cannot notice a DOUBLE performance uplift then I don't know what to tell you really. Going from a 3090 to a 5090 will probably increase performance by double or more. Now whether or not you care about that, well only you can answer that.

I don’t think there is any question 3090 owners at 4K are due for an upgrade, although I could ride it out longer if I really had to. Really good run though.

I’d be surprised if 5090 had those kinds of legs as at a certain point we’ll start getting games cross developed for new consoles.

I don’t think there is any question 3090 owners at 4K are due for an upgrade, although I could ride it out longer if I really had to. Really good run though.
I agree that it has been a good run. Still waitling patiently for that 5090. I must say this 3090 is still going strong for me. Going to be moved into my gaming TV PC.

I agree that it has been a good run. Still waitling patiently for that 5090. I must say this 3090 is still going strong for me. Going to be moved into my gaming TV PC.
I think 3090 is the best card ever, frankly. I don’t remember ever getting so much out of a card. Four years? That is crazy bang for the buck. It even does well at 4K. It also allowed me to skip the 4000 series and wait for 5090. Of course, that is also a reflection of slow game development.

I think the 5090 will get truly tested by GTA VI and the next Battlefield game.

I’d be surprised if 5090 had those kinds of legs as at a certain point we’ll start getting games cross developed for new consoles.
My old 3090 did pretty decent at 4K but required DLSS in a lot of games to provide a 120+ FPS experience. When I moved to the 4090, it was night and day for me. At most I use DLAA (DLSS 1:1) now and I don't think I have run a single game using DLSS scaling with it and almost always maintain 120+ FPS (generally locked at 144).

There is always a good balance for cooling performance and physical size. I'm thinking you can build something smaller than the 4090 coolers that will still be quiet most of the time. I have to assume the 4090 coolers, while great, had diminishing returns and were generally overkill. Being a 5090 where cost is often not much concern, I suppose some of the AIBs can decide to make a super large no compromise in terms of performance cooler design.

I do understand the disdain for louder noise. I went from a ASUS 4070 Dual to a Zotac 4070 Super Trinity due to noise. Even when the room is 90-92F the Zotac does not get that loud. I can hear it, but it isn't bothersome at all and quite unnoticeable. The ASUS on the other hand would become annoying with temperatures of 75-78. It would get obnoxious (to me) once it got into the 80s.

Last edited:
I think 3090 is the best card ever, frankly. I don’t remember ever getting so much out of a card. Four years? That is crazy bang for the buck. It even does well at 4K. It also allowed me to skip the 4000 series and wait for 5090. Of course, that is also a reflection of slow game development.

I think the 5090 will get truly tested by GTA VI and the next Battlefield game.

GTA6 yes but Battlefield I doubt it. Those games have been pretty easy to run and it should be given the multiplayer nature of it, unless the next iteration has some massive overhaul to the Frostbite engine or something.

GTA6 yes but Battlefield I doubt it. Those games have been pretty easy to run and it should be given the multiplayer nature of it, unless the next iteration has some massive overhaul to the Frostbite engine or something.
Eh, Battlefield 4 was hard to run at 4k with my GTX 970 sli back in the day. It's a breeze nowadays though :p. I imagine ultra settings with raytracing will be tough still at 4k for the next Battlefield.

I think I'm coming to the end of "modern pc" gaming after 30 years in the hobby. This trend of possible 2500.00 gpu's combined with "modern games" that really don't target my age bracket is forcing me to reevaluate my priorities. At least I have thousands upon thousands of past pc, arcade and retro console games to ensure that I will always be a "gamer"; just not a so called "modern gamer" with the stomach to pay for 2500.00 video cards to play games that no longer speak to me........
This.

Very few modern games are really interesting to me at all. For the ones I am interested in, I dont even really have time to play them.

This.

Very few modern games are really interesting to me at all. For the ones I am interested in, I dont even really have time to play them.
I tend to agree. I buy expensive gpus but not for gaming. For that I mostly just play consoles.

I sure hope this rumored $2500 price for the upcoming RTX-5090 isn't correct?

Said to be 60% to 70% faster than the current RTX-4090;

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/geforce-rtx-5090-performance
They are not called NGreedia for nothing.

They found that people would tolerate a $1200 price point for a "halo card" then they found out that a $1600 price point sold out. Nvidia will keep pushing prices as long as they can sell hardware.

In fact they would rather sell their silicon to AI buyers who pay even higher prices so they have even more incentive to bleed the whales dry who want to buy a 5090 on day 1.

Let's say the 5090 is 60% faster than the 4090. Nvida will reason: well $1600 X 1.6 = $2560. You are getting a bargain to pay ONLY $2,500 for a 5090!

Jensen is infamous for the following piece of "logic":

1718517351488.png

$500 is my maximum gpu price and I like to skip generations. Went from 1080ti I had for 4+ years and got a 4070, that seems like a decent uptick. $1500 and up can go eff itself

$500 is my maximum gpu price and I like to skip generations. Went from 1080ti I had for 4+ years and got a 4070, that seems like a decent uptick. $1500 and up can go eff itself
some of us are even worse. i went from a GTX 970 to a 6700XT only last year. i agree with you on max price. i like my computers, but i also like my money going elsewhere too. things like not having debt...

some of us are even worse. i went from a GTX 970 to a 6700XT only last year. i agree with you on max price. i like my computers, but i also like my money going elsewhere too. things like not having debt...
I went from a 970 to a second hand 1080 I got for cheap to a 3090 I got for super cheap as well.

The market began running away from me sometime around 2006 I think, maybe a bit after that. I stopped upgrading as often because prices kept creeping up higher and higher... eventually they got to a point where I stuck with a highly overclocked corei5 and a GTX970 for 5+ years. Before that, the advancements were so often and so significant that I upgraded CPUs/GPUs at least once a year because the jumps were so exciting. In the early days of the TNT2, Voodoo cards, and the eventual bombshell that I perceived the Geforce3 as being at the time... there was always something to be excited about.

I went from a 970 to a second hand 1080 I got for cheap to a 3090 I got for super cheap as well.

The market began running away from me sometime around 2006 I think, maybe a bit after that. I stopped upgrading as often because prices kept creeping up higher and higher... eventually they got to a point where I stuck with a highly overclocked corei5 and a GTX970 for 5+ years. Before that, the advancements were so often and so significant that I upgraded CPUs/GPUs at least once a year because the jumps were so exciting. In the early days of the TNT2, Voodoo cards, and the eventual bombshell that I perceived the Geforce3 as being at the time... there was always something to be excited about.
so true, every new gen back then wasn't just faster. it introduced new things that we had never seen before. like DX8 pixel lighting, AA, etc. sure we have RT now but to be honest it doesn't excite me much with the performance hit. maybe i'm just old like you lol.

the voodoo 3 was a big deal for me at the time. my dad kept buying ATi cards back then and they were pretty bad. rage 2c, 8mb rage pro turbo....just junk. i finally got the V3 for a birthday gift. what a difference that made!

i think i must have had a nearly identical system...i5 6600k (heavily overclocked) and the 970. i think i got 7 years out of it and then gave it away to the brother in law. he's still using it to this day!

Back