2.4c > 2.6c ?

Unit-0

Limp Gawd
I don't understand what the fuss is about on the Intel 2.4C. It seems to me the only difference between a 2.4C and a 2.6C is the 2.6C having a better value due to just $5 more expensive than the 2.4C, but having 200mhz over 2.4C and 13x multiplier instead of 12x.

Would someone explain to me why 2.4C "seems" better, even though the math says different?

Please don't say it's better because it costs nearly as much. Mushkin PC3200 is more expensive than Mushkin PC3500 just because of hype =\

2.4C offers much better bandwidth when overclocked to the same speeds or greater. Just needs kickass ram to get there.

Wait hold on.. what do you mean by "much better bandwidth"?

As I understand it, the bandwidth for both CPUs is calculated by:

800 Mhz FSB * 32-bit pipeline (4 bytes) = 3.2 GB/s

which is consequently the same as PC3200 RAM's:

200 Mhz * dual channel * DDR * 32-bit pipeline = 3.2 GB/s

So, does 2.4C "run better" somehow beyond the math specs or work some weird voodoo that earns itself such a reputation, or am I missing something?

Yes, they used to be like $20 apart, then the 2.4C rose in price while the 2.6C stayed the same, then lately the 2.6C dropped a few dollars.

the extra bandwidth comes from the fact that the cpu can get a higher fsb to multiplier ratio compared to the 2.6c because it starts out with the same fsb and a lower multiplier I believe.

~Adam

Originally posted by CleanSlate
the extra bandwidth comes from the fact that the cpu can get a higher fsb to multiplier ratio compared to the 2.6c because it starts out with the same fsb and a lower multiplier I believe.

~Adam

correct.

They also tend to oc higher.

Originally posted by OrionNT
They also tend to oc higher.

right.

people with good 2.4C o/c's: thousands
people with good 2.6C o/c's: few

CPUdatabase shows 2.6C to be slightly better, but good 2.6c's are rather hard to find, from my experience.

Back