MelonSplitter
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 6, 2006
- Messages
- 1,141
I already have 1. Should I buy another for $100 or upgrade to what.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I think tri fire with another 4870 may be a better choice, I've read that scaling isn't too great when going to 4 cards.
Really? I didnt know I could do that.
There is simply no reason to do that.
4870x2 is a Dx9 card, capable of insane levels of AA at 2560x1600 in most Dx9 games not named Crysis.
Assuming optimal scaling, you would get double the frames, at double the heat.
But with a 4870x2 you are already having excellent frames in most games anyway, especially if you are on 19x12 resolutions.
And if you are at 25x16 and want better AA, the 1Gb per GPU simply wont cut.
So if you have the money, sell the 4870X2 ASAP and grab a 2Gb 6950, before AMD make only unlockable 6950.
The 2GB 6950 is a great card , more than capable of taking over the 4870X2, the unlock feature notwithstading.
Now, if you are a lucky guy with a 4x D-DVI 4870x2, like the ASUS one, well, keep it for business projects. it is a stock market player dream come true, capable of driving 4 30 inches monitors alone.
Take heed of the heat and power problem. Much was said about the heating effect on the ambient with fermi cards,
But SLI Fermis is 50 w less than Quad Fired 4870x2s. You will have to increase air conditioning in the PC room, unless you live in North Canada.![]()
Holy crap at the power usage though, is that furmark? This is what I scored, with a 3.7Ghz Q9550:
That CPU must be volted up pretty high then, because even at 110V your PSU isn't much less efficient than mine.