• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2, 3, and 4 GPU CrossfireX previews

Interesting. It seems that ATI is at least scaling better than Nvidia now. Hopefully this bodes well for them when they release the 4000 series.
 
I want those drivers. Anybody seen them leaked anywhere? I've got two x2's sitting here waiting for some love.
 
Anybody know if Nvidia is going to have 4GPU support out the door? Or will it be like ATI, one card for a bit, while 4 way is getting polished?
 
Yeah, thanks for the link. Others have reported that driver as not working with dual 3870x2's.

doesn't work. i've been looking EVERYWHERE for drivers, and have tried everything so far. i'll post here if/when i do find something.
 
... I expected better. In most games there is zero benefit to the extra money. Even at 2560 the boost isn't that big.
 
It's coming together soon. Don't worry. At 4 GPU the scaling is pretty nice at high res.
 
btw, i have seen a few posts on various forums/sites in the last day stating that catalyst 8.3 will be released on March 3 or 4.
says who?
That would be nice
 
You're using a fucking 8 year old OS, stop whining and upgrade.

HAHA

The new crossfireX and 3 Way SLI setups seem to benifit 2560x1600 more then anything else. I cant wait for prices to come down a bit so I can finaly enjoy my monitor in all of its glory.
 
How's the 8.47 RC1 release? Any CrossfireX?

i messed with it for an hour or so and was not able to install it. it has custom installer scripts for Onda motherboard based systems, and i didn't feel like messing with it more. i just ordered a QX9650 (and psu, ram, etc) and bought an asus x38 mobo, so i'm going to wait until i get the new system running to mess with xfirex. maybe the ATI drivers will be out by then.
 
You're using a fucking 8 year old OS, stop whining and upgrade.


So, is it your mommy or daddy that taught you the big adult words? :p

Tell you what, BUY me the f'ing copy of Vista, and I'll pretend to upgrade. Is that good enough for you, wee child?
 
Is there any (p)review that pits these Crossfire setups directly against nVidia SLI setups, with either 2 or 3 GPUs?
Because if I compare these results to other reviews (eg http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3183&p=3), even 2 8800 Ultras sometimes deliver higher framerates than the 4 ATi GPUs (especially in Crysis and UT3).
3 8800 Ultras seem faster across the board.
But since the results are taken from different reviews, I can't be 100% sure that the benchmarks are done under the same circumstances. The resolutions and settings seem to be the same.

Now I know the 8800 Ultra is far more expensive... but it's a pretty old card by now, and the new 8800GT and new GTS already get pretty close to its performance level at a fraction of the price. They just don't seem to scale that well with SLI (yet?).
So I wonder what the 9-series is going to bring us... I think in the end, who delivers the performance with the least GPUs will win, because there's an advantage in cost, power consumption and compatibility.
 
8800GT and 8800GTS don't support more than two GPUs in SLI. You have to get the GTX or Ultra to do 3-way.
 
8800GT and 8800GTS don't support more than two GPUs in SLI. You have to get the GTX or Ultra to do 3-way.

Yes, but that ofcourse is an artificial, arbitrary limit.
If nVidia wants to create low-budget 3-way SLI cards, it would take them little effort, as they already have the technology (who knows, perhaps it's just a driver limitation even on the 8800GT and GTS cards?).
Regardless, nVidia's 2-way SLI will fall somewhere in the performance range of 3-4 way CrossFire in general, so in that sense nVidia still holds the advantage of requiring less GPUs/cards for the same performance.
 
8800gt and 8800gts only supporting two cards in SLI is a hard limit. The cards only have one SLI connector.
 
3 8800GTS 512MBs would be a nice combo.

It's a shame the industry hasn't advanced beyond recycling old tech in multi gpu setups though.
 
8800gt and 8800gts only supporting two cards in SLI is a hard limit. The cards only have one SLI connector.

Still arbitrary, I suppose. These GPUs are actually newer than the ones on the 8800GTX and Ultra cards.
 
So, is it your mommy or daddy that taught you the big adult words? :p

Tell you what, BUY me the f'ing copy of Vista, and I'll pretend to upgrade. Is that good enough for you, wee child?

Firstly, I wasn't talking to you, since you weren't the one coming in here and whining about how you are entitled to 100% support for every peice of hardware and software on Earth for your 8-year-old OS. The vast majority of XP users realize they are using an old operating system and aren't going to get everything they want. I also have very little sympathy for people who spend $800 on video cards then complain that they cant afford a Vista license to make them run properly. That's just being cheap.

That said, being a mid twenties college student has its advantages in terms of discount operating systems. If you know anyone in college see if they'll buy you a copy.
 
I cant wait for ati come out with a damn driver(more mature one anyways) that way I can upgrade.
Nokia
 
Back
Top