1tb mechanical or 250 SSD?

lone wolf

Gawd
I have to replace the current 500gb hard drive in my wife's laptop. I can get a 1tb mechanical for $99 or a 250gb SSD for the same price. is the SSD worth going to? then just pick up a 500gb for an external?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For a laptop, I always recommend SSD for 4 reasons:
1. It's a mobile device and you likely don't need as much stuff installed.
2. SSD's are more durable, especially if you drop the device
3. Being a mobile device, you are more likely wanting instant-on capabilities which SSD's do so much better.
4. SSD's tend to be better on battery life.

#2 and #3 being the most important.

Definitely get the SSD. Although storage size is smaller, access speeds will be much faster. The overall "feel" of the laptop will see a 10x speed increase. If space is an issue, I recommend buying the SSD and also buying an external hard drive adapter. Put the old 500GB drive in the adapter and use it as an external drive for music/pictures/videos.

SSD all the way. Even a cheap 120GB would make a significant difference over a mechanical.

I recently bought a 250 (240) gb crucial mx200. Heres my thoughts; for laptop better to go ssd though my friends never encountered trouble with moving mechanical laptop drives, you just need to be careful. Second is space. I found that my personal storage needs easily axceed 120gb and 240gb ssd capacity. So a 1tb drive for me is better. In other words that is personal. If only for casual storage, ssd is better. And faster.

If you are storing any kind of media it is very easy to go over 250gb. But my main laptop has a 120gb drive and it suites me fine.

Some laptops get incredibly hot.
Check the max operating temp of the SSD and the max temp the drive bay gets to without the hard drive in it (if possible) but with the lid on.

Newer laptops with Windows 8 or 10 and SSD's hit the desktop in about 6 or 7 seconds from power off. It's pretty incredible.

But I agree with SSD all the way in mobile for all the reasons listed above. First thing I did on my new laptop was pull out the HDD and put in smaller SSD. Unless you think you're going to fill it up right away then go with SSD.

Another +1 for a SSD.

Is she storing 500 Mb on a laptop ?

If she is storing that much or more, yeah, I'd just pick up an external for her later.

SSD.
other advantages not yet mentioned: lower power consumption, no vibrations, no clicking noises

Back