1tb drive review!!!

I had one of those bad IBMs, it was a 20GB in my mom's Dell that died after two years of use. Replaced it with a Seagate 120 that blew up four years later. Have bought Western Digital drives ever since.

It was supposed to be confusing.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not the Hitachi's are fine now, they still have that stigma attached to it. I mean, thousands of guys across the country are openly gay now, but does that mean you are going to take one in the brown eye? Not me. I'll stick to other hard drives thank you (and straight sex).
You just gimped yourself. I'll stick with WD though. I have been buying them for 10 years and haven't been let down yet. No reason to change.

I'll take four and keep them empty.:)

No illegal High def content for me.

I'll take 8 and put every single DVD and CD I own as an ISO on the array and just mount them in the media center PC for full DVD and CD quality video and audio.

MP3s suck goat balls on Paradigm speakers. They're fine for shitty headphones and PC speakers, but when I put MP3s on real speakers my ears bleed.

I'll take 8 and put every single DVD and CD I own as an ISO on the array and just mount them in the media center PC for full DVD and CD quality video and audio.

MP3s suck goat balls on Paradigm speakers. They're fine for shitty headphones and PC speakers, but when I put MP3s on real speakers my ears bleed.

Thats more than 1000 DVD's. Do you really have that many movies?

Thats more than 1000 DVD's. Do you really have that many movies?

I have somewhere between 300 and 400 dvds. I don't keep track. I can fit all of the CDs I own on 2TB easily as ISOs. 8 drives would only give me 6TB (1 for parity and 1 hot spare), so that leaves 4TB for DVDs. At 9GB apiece if I do have 400 that's 3.6TB. My storage would be full within one week.

But I would have the coolest jukebox on the planet.

I had one of those bad IBMs, it was a 20GB in my mom's Dell that died after two years of use. Replaced it with a Seagate 120 that blew up four years later. Have bought Western Digital drives ever since.
So when your Western Digital drive dies, will you buy a Samsung or something? :confused:

Can anyone imagine a 1TB Raptor?

I can't either. :p
yeah, I heard they're going to call it the Teradactyl :p

Nonsense on the MP3 rant.

Having all your media online is really sweet though.
I have 3TB using 500GB drives for that purpose.

Nonsense on the MP3 rant.

Actually, he is quite right. MP3s are fine for the average computer speakers, but hook them up to a stereo system via HTPC, and listen to how truly bad they sound. Lossless WMA FTW!

Killer drive, but I don't think I'll be getting this. Once these come out and drive 750GB prices down, I think I'll pick up four of them for my HTPC. :D

I have somewhere between 300 and 400 dvds. I don't keep track. I can fit all of the CDs I own on 2TB easily as ISOs. 8 drives would only give me 6TB (1 for parity and 1 hot spare), so that leaves 4TB for DVDs. At 9GB apiece if I do have 400 that's 3.6TB. My storage would be full within one week.

But I would have the coolest jukebox on the planet.

I'd like to see you rip and store/categorize that many in a week :p

It's actually quite simple and automated with the My Movies MCE plugin.

Glad to see these are finally available, but the price....:eek: Come on 750GBs, come down in price! I need my storage!!! I figured out how truly small my 1TB array was when I started downloading my DVD collection in HD....ouch. I'm already almost out of space. :(

It's actually quite simple and automated with the My Movies MCE plugin.

Glad to see these are finally available, but the price....:eek: Come on 750GBs, come down in price! I need my storage!!! I figured out how truly small my 1TB array was when I started downloading my DVD collection in HD....ouch. I'm already almost out of space. :(

You tried this? It may be simple, but those simple things are time consuming, especially if you have such large volumes. Also, he may not be using Media Center my movies.

The 750's are cheap and the 500's are dirt cheap. I expect the 750's to hit $199 in the next 4 weeks.

Hehe yeah it's more like a lifetime project. I equate storing all of my media digitally the same as going paperless in my office. It's a noble goal, but not one that will ever be completed.

I managed to get everything loaded digital, I cringe when I see papers. My coworkers are perplexed by my goals and such, so they are obviously annoyed by the whole paperless movement.

But yes, it's a long goal and it takes a lot of time, all my media and everything is on hard disks, it takes a lot of time to sort and organize them, especially when you are dealing with many drives and many categories.

I just ordered my first 1TB drive off Newegg.. Very very cool, planning on 8 of them in raid 5 for tvshow raid array:) I hope that the long term drive lifetime is as good as the speeds in the reviews.... A few people seem to have had them for a couple of months, if so please reply with what you have learned about them......

You tried this? It may be simple, but those simple things are time consuming, especially if you have such large volumes. Also, he may not be using Media Center my movies.

The 750's are cheap and the 500's are dirt cheap. I expect the 750's to hit $199 in the next 4 weeks.

how right you were. Maybe not really 4 weeks, but the 750 Seagate is available at that price now.

I was thinking about going with 750GB drives because of the price but then i thought of this: in a year or so, when i need more space, i am going to have to replace all my drives instaed of just adding more 1TB drives in my Raid 5 array and i can either loose the money and time, or just money now, so i choose to spend more now, to spend less time later.... Also i am going to build a 3x750GB backup system at friend/neighbor just down the block and sync my data (ie, tvshows), so i will have off site backup, plus he and his wife watch most the tv that i have, so it gives them 24/7 access to it as well....

I was thinking about going with 750GB drives because of the price but then i thought of this: in a year or so, when i need more space, i am going to have to replace all my drives instaed of just adding more 1TB drives in my Raid 5 array and i can either loose the money and time, or just money now, so i choose to spend more now, to spend less time later.... Also i am going to build a 3x750GB backup system at friend/neighbor just down the block and sync my data (ie, tvshows), so i will have off site backup, plus he and his wife watch most the tv that i have, so it gives them 24/7 access to it as well....

Yea but at this rate, in another year you will want 2TB drives....

I only have the 400GB WD, because at the time of purchase the 500GB was two times as expensive. I'm glad I did not waste the money now, because it would cost the same to buy 2 new 500GB drives and keep my 400GB, as the getting a 500GB would have instead.

Whats funny is my old work won't even replace the 32 Gb drive we do huge software builds on. Like GB's of source code. Cheap bastards!

do someone actually need 1Tb, u know for "regular" everyday use ?

Time to upgrade my server! 250s and 320s are so small nowadays and my DVD collection has filled them all up.

I guess that would be regular everyday use since I watch alot of movies.

Back