1tb drive review!!!

wow 32mb cache, $399 isn't all that bad especially if you have a huge movie collection and use a SFF case for your htpc.

A bigger news story would be 300GB drives going below the $100 barrier.

Damn thing is basically nipping at the heels of the Raptor 150 across the board, geezus. Amazing performance for a 7200 rpm drive, simply incredible.

To quote the article:

"In fact, it took the industry almost 35 years to reach the 1GB level, another 14 years to reach 500GB, and now with perpendicular recording technology, only two years to reach 1TB."

Makes me wonder just what's in store for the next 2 years, or the next 14, or 35 for that matter. Whatever happens, it'll damned sure be interesting. :)

Damn thing is basically nipping at the heels of the Raptor 150 across the board, geezus. Amazing performance for a 7200 rpm drive, simply incredible.

To quote the article:

"In fact, it took the industry almost 35 years to reach the 1GB level, another 14 years to reach 500GB, and now with perpendicular recording technology, only two years to reach 1TB."

Makes me wonder just what's in store for the next 2 years, or the next 14, or 35 for that matter. Whatever happens, it'll damned sure be interesting. :)

Say hello to M-RAM. At the densities it's capable of, you could fit over a petabyte on one hard drive platter.

I can do a lot of shaking.

I had been debating about a new hard drive for a while now, and the 750s have dropped to like 250$ or so on ebay depending on when you catch them.

But with this performance, it may be worth waiting for one of these.

$399 retail and $349 oem.

I can't wait for these to hit the shelfs.

when seagate release their 1TB drive, i will get a Seagate/Hitachi 750/800GB drive.

should be very affordable.

Hitachi Deathstar 7K1000: Terabyte Storage arrives on the Desktop

Few people trust low-capacity Deskstars. Don't think I'd be trusting a 1TB one. Very promising technology though.

Few people trust low-capacity Deskstars. Don't think I'd be trusting a 1TB one. Very promising technology though.

You know this isn't an issue anymore right?

I don't get why people still believes this.

120gxps and later drives are just as reliable as any other brand, in fact look at the reliability rating for the 180 gxp on sr, it rates higher than >90% of all other models. i'd trust my data to a hitachi as much as a wd or seagate

hard drive capacity has been increasing at a rate of about 40% per year for the last 20 years... exponential growth is pretty powerful :D expect the capacity to double every 2 years.

You know this isn't an issue anymore right?

I don't get why people still believes this

agreed. the drives stopped dieing long ago, about time the FUD did too.

"I don't get why people still believes this."

Lots of people lost data. I'm pretty sure that was a big motivating factor for IBM selling the business. It is an old story now. It's akin to people saying that ATI has crappy drivers.

"I don't get why people still believes this."

Lots of people lost data. I'm pretty sure that was a big motivating factor for IBM selling the business. It is an old story now. It's akin to people saying that ATI has crappy drivers.

So would you buy a Kia? I mean, it's time we laid the FUD to rest about the Kia...they don't make crappy cars anymore, right?

Oh wait....

So would you buy a Kia? I mean, it's time we laid the FUD to rest about the Kia...they don't make crappy cars anymore, right?

Oh wait....

Umm...try again. The hitachi drives have been performing just fine.

Why do only hear complaints about the old deskstars? Why do I never hear complaints about the new deskstars. Why is it when I ask about the old deskstars and people who said they were bad never typcially owned one?

Everyone knows that KIA claims to be good but we know they aren't. However, IBM drives used to be among the best till they had that bad run/design. Please keep yoru comparisons on equal levels. The new drives are just fun and running quite well.

If you can get a OEM drive at $349, and according to the performance via this review which is nearly on par with a raptor, that is one hell of a buy.

Why do only hear complaints about the old deskstars? Why do I never hear complaints about the new deskstars. Why is it when I ask about the old deskstars and people who said they were bad never typcially owned one?

Everyone knows that KIA claims to be good but we know they aren't. However, IBM drives used to be among the best till they had that bad run/design. Please keep yoru comparisons on equal levels. The new drives are just fun and running quite well.

You missed my point.

I did, too, to be honest. What was it? The Kia analogy was confusing.

It was supposed to be confusing.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not the Hitachi's are fine now, they still have that stigma attached to it. I mean, thousands of guys across the country are openly gay now, but does that mean you are going to take one in the brown eye? Not me. I'll stick to other hard drives thank you (and straight sex).

It was supposed to be confusing.

Anyway, regardless of whether or not the Hitachi's are fine now, they still have that stigma attached to it. I mean, thousands of guys across the country are openly gay now, but does that mean you are going to take one in the brown eye? Not me. I'll stick to other hard drives thank you (and straight sex).

I'm not sure this analogy (pardon the pun) is working better...

Although I'd never buy anything but a GM Diesel, the last review I read on Kia, "A better vehicle than you think".

The Deathstar drives pushed me to Seagate, a better drive anyhow, no looking back......

do someone actually need 1Tb, u know for "regular" everyday use ?

rhetorical question, pr0n was the answer :D

do someone actually need 1Tb, u know for "regular" everyday use ?

This is the [H], we'll find a reason and/or we don't need one. The existance of such a product justifies needing to have it...and do something to make it more powerful :D

lol, agreed.

my 40GB 60GXP drive ran for years and years, i eventually sold it and i believe it still runs fine even now.

looking at my stats:
reliability_Mar_07.PNG

It seems that the IBM drives were not doing too poorly. I believe that the 45GB 75GXP just died, but I am considering to revive it using a low-level format. I guess that I am the samsung killer, then again it could be that the crappy Dell SC420 PSU and the high case temps killed them.

Back