• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

1st oc help

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
2FA
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
17,086
SO I have had this system for a while, but only now am I pushing it a bit on the OC front:

mobo: P5B Deluxe wifi/AP.
CPU: Q6700 under a scythe Ninja all-copper edition, stock voltage (reported as 1.352v in CPUz under load)
ram: Crucial Ballistix DDR2800
Video: 2xATi 4850

I got it up to 3.3ghz (10*330) just by raising the fsb. Totally stable for 30min under OCCT. However, when I bump it up to 3.4 (10*340), I get a full system reboot in OCCT after like 30 seconds, and in GRID after about a minute or two of racing.

I assume that this is a symptom of an unstable OC, but not sure where to go from there... Is this a ram issue, or maybe the CPU needs more voltage? I know cpu heat is not an issue, as under load at 330mhz, I only hit the high 40's.
 
you have to isolate one thing at a time.
can you change the multiplier or not? i have no idea on that cpu..

if not, try bumping the cpu voltage a hare.. it that doesn't help, but the cpu voltage back, and bump the ram voltage, or loosen the timings..
 
Generally once you hit an FSB wall you raise the voltage a bit and see if it's stable. With your CPU, keep your ceiling at 1.5v. If CPU voltage doesn't get you anywhere, try raising the chipset voltage slightly as well. Also, take a look at the recommended voltage for your RAM at its rated speed, and set it to that in the BIOS.

Also, I recommend you take a look at the overclocking guide that's stickied in this forum, as it will most likely have all the information you could want on the subject.
 
Back
Top