• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1st CPU lap attempt: is this right so far?

ann0yanc3

Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Messages
515
I started out with an E8400, pictured below:

unlapped1.jpg


It took me a little over an hour to accomplish the following using 220 grit sandpaper:

lapped1.jpg


lapped2.jpg


If you look closely at the lapped pictures, you'll see that there are 2 noticeable spots near one of the edges. Is this ok? Should I proceed to the next grit?

Thanks.
 
From what I can tell, everything is fine. Just keep going and make sure you keep it flat.
 
sand on a piece of glass or a board, something completely flat. count the strokes, only going one direction, no circles or anything. go to 100 and rotate the sanding pattern 90 degrees, repeat until there's no silver left on the heatspreader, progressing to higher and higher grits. I usually start at 200 grit, and go to 2000.
 
i'm using a granite countertop. seems to be flat. i started out counting and rotating, then i did circles both ways, then rotate, repeat. then i did the same with 8's, then back again.

gonna start with the 400 grit.
 
Please please please go find the glass out of a picture frame (not plastic, must be glass) and carry on. As soon as you get a uniform scratch pattern over the entire surface you can move to the next grit. Good job so far and now that is is fairly uniform it will go faster.
 
I've never lapped, and I was never sure of the procedure on how doing it either, but this video seems to do a pretty good job/ get you in the right direction.
 
2500 grit results!

lapped3.jpg


not a mirror shine (i don't have polish), but it's reflective!

lapped4.jpg


lapped5.jpg
 
For the final finish I have used Mothers (auto parts store) Mag polish and I can tell you is is outstanding.
 
Don't polish! The benefit comes from having a smaller grain and flatter surface to meet with the heatsink! Shiny is not good unless you are polish FREE! :)

Looks kick ass I will say.
 
This brings back fond lapping memories...

Yeah, I also second not polishing. I doubt you will see much improvement over 1000 grit but keep us informed of the temps after you're done.
 
Those two little spots of nickle on the outside edges won't affect anything. If they were anywhere near the middle you'd probably want to keep sanding.

Looks good. DON'T POLISH IT! The Polish leaves a residue. Besides, polishing provides no added benefit and you'll never see it anyways once it's in.
 
DON'T POLISH IT! The Polish leaves a residue.

This. Polishing compound is not thermally conductive, so polishing your CPU will actually have a negative effect on thermal transfer. I strongly recommend you clean off as much polishing compound as you possibly can before you install the chip.
 
Back
Top