~$1k Video Rig (Trying for best value)

sped

n00b
Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
2
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Amateur video editing (Premiere CS5), light gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included??
Around $1k, but no hard number
3) Where do you live?
San Francisco
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc.
CPU, RAM, M/B, Video card, SSD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
Lian Li Case, 520W Corsair PSU, Optical, 700GB Seagate 7200.10
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Have 23" Apple
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next couple weeks.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
Standard
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Windows 7 home 64 bit

So I was gonna go with the cookie cutter setup as follows:
Intel i7-2600k
2x4 GB ram
ASUS P8P67-M PRO
GTX 460
Corsair C300 120GB

Keeping in mind I'm just doing very amateur video stuff as a hobby, and light gaming, here are my questions:
what is the common bottleneck in this setup? Is there a significant performance increase with the 2600k vs 2500k? Would I be better off with a better video card for CS5?

I'm just trying to get bang for buck here and tried searching other threads but it's hard to isolate individual parts vs parts. Thanks a lot.
 
So I was gonna go with the cookie cutter setup as follows:
Intel i7-2600k
2x4 GB ram
ASUS P8P67-M PRO
GTX 460
Corsair C300 120GB

Keeping in mind I'm just doing very amateur video stuff as a hobby, and light gaming, here are my questions:
what is the common bottleneck in this setup? Is there a significant performance increase with the 2600k vs 2500k? Would I be better off with a better video card for CS5?

I'm just trying to get bang for buck here and tried searching other threads but it's hard to isolate individual parts vs parts. Thanks a lot.

The largest bottleneck will be that Seagate hard drive if you're using that as your project drive. I recommend getting this drive since it's 2-3 times faster than that Seagate:
$65 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

The 2600K is an excellent choice for this kind of usage.

GPU wise, you'll be fine with the GTX 460 1GB SE. Note the "SE" as that is the cheaper and gimped version of the regular GTX 460 1GB. However for your usage, the $160 GTX 460 1GB SE should be fine. No, it's not worht getting the regular GTX 460 1GB. Don't get the GTX 460 768MB as it does not have enough VRAM for Premiere Pro CS5.

Oh and if you haven't seen this already, you might want to do this hack in order to further speed up video editing:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1532552
 
Back
Top