1k-1.5k workstation build

DaConfusion

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
212
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

No gaming.

PC shall be used for Pro/E, Solidworks, 3D scanning, FEA, CFD, mathlab, mathcad for automotive engineering.

Expect attempts to load entire vehicle assemblies (rarely), primary use will be bracket/part design, vehicle packaging, and interface with 3D scanner.



2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?


With tax and shipping, absolute max is 1500, would be nice to get the final price to 1000.

3) Where do you live?


Houston, TX - New boss build!

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, memory, motherboard, video card, RAID 0 hard-drive setup, dvd burner, case, power supply, CPU fan


5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

No parts will be re-used.


6) Will you be overclocking?


Maybe... I would like to set the PC to have software OC per Sandy Bridge during high / peak loads if possible.

If cost is too high, OC is not important.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

A new monitor shall be purchased, ~200$ allocated for monitor (separate from 1-1.5k PC budget).


8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Order this week, willing to wait if better deals expected soon.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

Support for newer technologies, such as USB 3, SATA 6GBs. I am going to update this post with any interface requirements of the 3D scanner. I doubt it needs anything old such as serial or parallel port...


10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?


NO. I will need to purchase OEM windows7. I think Windows 7 Pro is sufficient

Here is a preliminary list I have put together, I am hoping you guys can revise this with cheaper or better options:


CPU
Core i7 2600K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor Intel
$279.99 $0.00 $0.00
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354587

Memory - I would like to revise this to ECC memory since this build is a pure workstation for long term use
Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
$81.98 $0.00 -$0.00 (combo deal with mobo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

Motherboard
P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 MSI
$179.99 $0.00 -$20.00 (combo deal with mobo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574&cm_re=msi_p67-_-13-130-574-_-Product


Video Card/GPU - I have seen the perks of soft-modding for CAD performance increase, I need a card that can be soft-modded. Not interested in used video cards.
Radeon HD 6950 2GB
XFX - ATI $274.99 -$30.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0


Primary HDD
Samsung 1TB F3 HD103SJ 1TB
$64.99 -$0.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533


Raid 0 HDD
1TB F3 HD103SJ 1TB
$64.99 -$0.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

DVD Burner
24X Burner - ASUS
$20.99 $0.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204


Case ATX
Mid-Tower HAF 912 Cooler Master
$59.99 $0.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233


Power Supply
750W EarthWatts Antec
$89.99 -$0.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026


CPU Fan
Hyper 212 i7 Sandy Bridge
$29.51
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/accessories/B002G1YPH0


Operating System
Windows7 x64 Professional OEM?
139$ via newEgg


Total $1,309.51
MIR -$50.00
Instant -$0.00
Shipping +$22.41
Final Total $1,281.92
Final total if NewEgg agrees not to charge shipping: $1259.51


Thank you for the help as always!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Memory - I would like to revise this to ECC memory since this build is a pure workstation for long term use
That not happening since the current SB Core i series CPUs do not take advantage of ECC RAM. You're gonna need Xeon CPUs for that. And that might be a slightly increase in cost due to the cost of ECC RAM and the cost of server class motherboards. Not to mention that overclocking is completely out of the question at that point.

Video Card/GPU - I have seen the perks of soft-modding for CAD performance increase, I need a card that can be soft-modded. Not interested in used video cards.
Ok where did you read that you could softmod current generation cards for CAD performance?


Case ATX
Mid-Tower HAF 912 Cooler Master
$59.99 $0.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
Personally I'd spend the extra $10 for this case:
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W ATX Case

Power Supply
750W EarthWatts Antec
$89.99 -$0.00 $0.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026
Not that good of a choice at all since its quality is slightly questionable. As such stick with the following:
$90 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU


Operating System
Windows7 x64 Professional OEM?
139$ via newEgg
Meh stick with that.
 
As far as I know the last card that softmod able was a nvidia 6800 something.

A little newer than that: The GTX 2xx series were the last cards I remember that could be softmodded rather well.
 
I thought people were hacking drivers and then using RivaTuner to install them?


Edit: Looks like the 6xxx series ATI cards do not even have an equivalent FirePro out. I guess softmod is out of the question.
 
Last edited:
A little newer than that: The GTX 2xx series were the last cards I remember that could be softmodded rather well.
No they can't. I have never seen this, ever. Go check out the threads in the Guru3d.com forums. It seems every few weeks someone asks about this and gets told it's not possible. The last cards that modded properly were certain 6800 series cards. Some G80 cards could be partially modded, but the mods didn't work in all apps, and even when it did "work", the cards were a fraction of the speed of a real quadro.

Read here: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539&pgno=9

Note an 8800GTX with mods was only half the speed of a Quadro 570, which is about the same hardware as an 8600GT. Well, it is slower really, but the same gpu.


I thought people were hacking drivers and then using RivaTuner to install them?


Edit: Looks like the 6xxx series ATI cards do not even have an equivalent FirePro out. I guess softmod is out of the question.
Some softmods I have seen are a pain to say the least, and I have seen some that work to increase specviewperf scores, but they don't increase performance in real apps.

Also note Rivatuner is old and there hasn't been a new version in years, so it doesn't work with new driver versions anyway. I just wanted to put a stop to all these mod stories.
If you need real professional performance, you need a real professional card.
If you are on a budget I suggest at least the FirePro V4800. It's the same hardware as a 5670, so nothing too powerful, but it's good in pro benchmarks and isn't too expensive. I have nothing against the Quadro cards, but some of the FirePro cards are a better value now it seems. Just don't waste hours and real money thinking some soft of mod will work for you.
 
Hmm... I'm not really into Solidworks etc but this might be an alternative solution for an entry machine

CPU
If you want to use ECC you need a Xeon CPU, given that this computer is going to be used for CAD etc a Xeon E3-1225 might be what you're looking for since it's aimed for this kind of applications including the graphics core.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115088
219 USD

Articles of interest (yes, it's not as fast as a dedicated video card but it might be enough and you have always the ability to upgrade).
http://www.solidworkscommunity.com/print_article.php?cpfeatureid=57492
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e3-c206-workstation,2933-6.html

Memory
If you want ECC you need something else than the G.Skill
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139262
120 USD

Motherboard and OS bundle
If you want to use the integrated graphics you don't have much of a choice as it is right now
Asus P8B WS is the only motherboard available afaik, solid controllers at least.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.651676.13-131-725
355 USD

HDDs
Is the RAID for the OS? You might want to reconsider it since there have been numerous reviews/tests/* that have shown RAID 0 being close to no performance boost at all using desktop apps.

Case
Probably fine, doesn't look that great IMHO

PSU
I have very good experience with Seasonic and looking a reviews the seems to be general consensus. This one is acutally quite cheap (69 w/ MIR) and made by Seasonic according to HardOCP.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7207014&cm_re=xfx_650w-_-17-207-014-_-Product

Skip the aftermarket CPU cooler, it wont help much unless you have a very good reason.
//Danne
 
Hmm... I'm not really into Solidworks etc but this might be an alternative solution for an entry machine

CPU
If you want to use ECC you need a Xeon CPU, given that this computer is going to be used for CAD etc a Xeon E3-1225 might be what you're looking for since it's aimed for this kind of applications including the graphics core.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115088
219 USD

Articles of interest (yes, it's not as fast as a dedicated video card but it might be enough and you have always the ability to upgrade).
http://www.solidworkscommunity.com/print_article.php?cpfeatureid=57492
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e3-c206-workstation,2933-6.html

Memory
If you want ECC you need something else than the G.Skill
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139262
120 USD

Motherboard and OS bundle
If you want to use the integrated graphics you don't have much of a choice as it is right now
Asus P8B WS is the only motherboard available afaik, solid controllers at least.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.651676.13-131-725
355 USD

HDDs
Is the RAID for the OS? You might want to reconsider it since there have been numerous reviews/tests/* that have shown RAID 0 being close to no performance boost at all using desktop apps.

Case
Probably fine, doesn't look that great IMHO

PSU
I have very good experience with Seasonic and looking a reviews the seems to be general consensus. This one is acutally quite cheap (69 w/ MIR) and made by Seasonic according to HardOCP.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7207014&cm_re=xfx_650w-_-17-207-014-_-Product

Skip the aftermarket CPU cooler, it wont help much unless you have a very good reason.
//Danne

Thank you for the alternative Xeon. I will look into it. The RAID is to have a back-up hard-drive, no intent for performance, only data backup. I may have misspoken on the RAID number.
 
Back
Top