1950AGP or 1950(buy new mobo also)

AGP 1950($300) or Pcie 1950($200)+(upgrade motherboard)($65)


  • Total voters
    40

Aelfgeft

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
2,343
Never been a big fan of ECS motherboards, but regardless, I would wait. Assuming you have a 754 or 939 chipset, you might as well max out the system you have.

From my perspective, I figure if I make the best computer I can out of my current system, it can become a server or resale when I go to the next generation. In this case, it would be AM2 or C2D, DDR2, and PCI-E. I say make your current rig a monster and save up for a full new rig.
 

Lone_Star_Lynch

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
382
Not really worth going to socket 939 anymore. Like Aelfgeft said, beef up your current system as much as possible and then save up for an AM2 or C2D computer.
 

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Messages
2,952
I think you'd be better off getting the PCIe version of the video card and getting that (or another brand) cheap mobo. At least then you have a PCIe video card that will still be usable the next time you upgrade, and it'll be a lot easier to sell it in the future if you decide to.

Besides, the AGP version of that 1950pro costs more anyway so you're not really losing much money buying that mobo and video card combo.
 

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
29,728
Moving to PCIe costs less money. Plus you're moving from Via to NF4 chipset. No brainer.
 

mrmodman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
386
isnt the 1950pro pci-e $199 and a cheap mobo would only be 60 bucks or agp that would be 300???
 

Varmint

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
1,784
This one's a no brainer. The only argument for buying AGP is to avoid the time of a fresh install.

I did exactly that - went from Nforce 3 AGP to Nforce 4 PCI-E, and got a PCI-E video card.

And now my system has one more big upgrade left in it - a DX10 card next year, whereas an AGP system w/ x1950pro is maxed out.
 

GlimmerMan

Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
982
$100 more to continue using AGP? I'd go for the mobo upgrade. Even if you dont like ECS, you still have an additional $35 to get a better mobo with.
 

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
5,279
Upgrade your mobo and save yourself a pain in the ass later. As dumb as they are for doing it, AGP is being forcibly killed. Might as well jump off the sinking ship and get onto the new shiny one!
 

dej166

n00b
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
48
mrmodman said:
isnt the 1950pro pci-e $199 and a cheap mobo would only be 60 bucks or agp that would be 300???

depends on the card. if its the sapphire 1950pro at newegg for 199, I'm seeing bad reviews on that one (heatsink). the decent 1950pros are going for 220+. The $300 agp is the one at BestBuy. If you want to use BestBuy prices, the PCIE version of the 1950PRO is the same price as the AGP. In a month the X1950PROs for AGP will be fully out to the e-vendors, and its looking like they'll be under $250 for the 256mb and under $300 for the 512mb cards.
 

mrmodman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
386
well i know were are not in a mobo section but in my situation what would be a good motherboard for my price 50-70$ oh and i would like a higher overclockable board then what i have msik8tneo2
 

mt_100

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
342
I did the same debate and went with the mobo upgrade and PCI-e card. Got a ECS NForce 4 MB for $50 at Newegg and a Radeon X1900GT for $149.99 to save some money, total with shipping was $205 or something.

For that money now I have more graphics upgrade possibilities to extend my system again and I can pick up a stick of RAM for the price difference.
 

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Messages
5,116
ECS aren't the best, but with an nf4 ultra chipset it should be decent. They are usually reliable but not very good overclockers. That combined with a PCI-E videocard seems like a good move. An X1950 should be fine for at least the next year before DX10 really kicks off.
 

mt_100

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
342
I never OC so I am not worried about that to be honest. My experience with ECS has been that they are reliable and stable boards so I went for it.

Back to the OP's question I would seriously go for the cheaper MB upgrade and card than the extra money of the AGP card. The hassle of having to reinstall your system is there but it gives you the possibility of another cheaper upgrade down the road with a PCI-e card again.
 

nvpx

n00b
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
36
If I could get my hands on one of those HIS X1950 AGP dual-slot cards with external exhaust for around $250 (or less) and sell my X800XL for at least $75, I would be a very happy camper.

There is no way I could update everything and come close to what I have for $175. I think I could make due with that until PCI-E2/Quad stuff comes out.
 
Top