1920x1200 two 1.5GB 580's or one 3GB 580?

What solution would you choose?

• Two 1.5GB GTX 580's

Votes: 50 58.8%
  • One 3GB GTX 580

Votes: 35 41.2%

• Total voters

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
So I am being really indecisive here as I am just about to pull the trigger on a new build, and am not sure if I should go with two 1.5GB GTX 580's or one 3GB GTX 580. My monitor's native resolution is 1920x1200 (24 inch), and I'd like to be able to turn on as much eye candy as possible with AA/AF. This build is based off of a 2011 socket. One solution is cheaper than the other, but would it be better?

3gb is worthless at 1920x1200.

2gb would be justifiable in very rare cases, so 2 x 1.5gb GTX 580s are the best choice.

With today's VRAM hungry games I'd go with the 3GB 580. It'll be plenty for that resolution and if you ever need more power you can always add another.

By going the 1.5GB route you'll have more power but the eye candy will be limited by your available VRAM. Take BF3 for instance, this game would play flawlessly with a single 3GB but with 2 1.5GB cards, you'd have to limit your AA/MSAA as this is where VRAM plays a significant role in these types of games.

Not sure what specific cards you are looking at but I'd recommend looking at the EVGA 3GB 580 Classifieds card found here. Hell, with it only being $50 more than the 1.5GB, why limit yourself....get two of the 3GB for only $100 more!

go for the 3g 580gtx, and save the cash towards a 30" then you can get another 3g and bam! best of both worlds!

The advice in this thread is awful. 3 GB of vRAM for 1080? Seriously? A 3GB 580 is completely a waste of money unless you have 2 or 3 of them and unless you're playing at 1080p x 3 or above.

Even at that res, the number of games that actually USE more than 1.5 GB of vRAM (key word is used, not just happen to fill up), can be counted on two or three fingers. And I can tell you from experience that in the rare cases that you're choking on vRAM at 1080p x 3, you're running out of horsepower anyway, even with three 580s, so adding RAM isn't going to help.

Two 1.5 GB 580s would be 90% faster than a single 3 GB 580 for his use and for 99% of other people too.

lol at the ignorant folks suggesting a single 3gb gtx580. you will never see the difference between a single 3gb or single 1.5gb gtx580. of course gtx580 1.5gb SLI would slaughter a single 3gb gtx580.

lol at the ignorant folks suggesting a single 3gb gtx580. you will never see the difference between a single 3gb or single 1.5gb gtx580. of course gtx580 1.5gb SLI would slaughter a single 3gb gtx580.

Couldn't agree more. Hell I'm driving 3x 1080P with 1.5 GB 580s and only in the most demanding games at the highest settings is it an issue, and it's just not going to be on a single 1080P or abouts screen.

Yes, the 3GB cards are better but unless you plan or want to go over 1920x1200 the dual 1.5 GBs are going to crush the 3GB in games with proper SLI support.

The advice in this thread is awful. 3 GB of vRAM for 1080? Seriously? A 3GB 580 is completely a waste of money unless you have 2 or 3 of them and unless you're playing at 1080p x 3 or above.

Even at that res, the number of games that actually USE more than 1.5 GB of vRAM (key word is used, not just happen to fill up), can be counted on two or three fingers. And I can tell you from experience that in the rare cases that you're choking on vRAM at 1080p x 3, you're running out of horsepower anyway, even with three 580s, so adding RAM isn't going to help.

Two 1.5 GB 580s would be 90% faster than a single 3 GB 580 for his use and for 99% of other people too.

It's not a 1080p monitor. It's 1920x1200, not 1920x1080. I don't know where you saw that.

Couldn't agree more. Hell I'm driving 3x 1080P with 1.5 GB 580s and only in the most demanding games at the highest settings is it an issue, and it's just not going to be on a single 1080P or abouts screen.

Yes, the 3GB cards are better but unless you plan or want to go over 1920x1200 the dual 1.5 GBs are going to crush the 3GB in games with proper SLI support.

Hmmm, so for staying at 1920x1200 then the 2x 1.5GB should suit me? I don't plan on getting a bigger monitor or doing any type of surround setup anytime soon. The only future 'upgrade' I can see myself making is getting a second monitor for putting other stuff on while I game, or getting a 27 inch display at 2560x1440. 30 inch is a bit much for me.

Hmmm, so for staying at 1920x1200 then the 2x 1.5GB should suit me?

Absolutely. I bought my 3 580s on launch day and the whole VRAM issues is WAY overblown. Of course 3GB is better than 1.5GB but 2 1.5GB 580s will yield MUCH better performance than a single 3GB 580 in virtually all situations at that resolution. I looked into the matter at the beginning of the year when the first 3GB 580s started coming out. Yes, the 3GB cards would yield better performance for me in some situations but at 3x 1080P you start hitting performance issues unrelated to VRAM with eye candy all anyway.

You're WAY better off with 2 1.5GB 580s in terms of performance at that resolution and most anyone that knows anything about it will agree.

2 x 580s is way overkill for 1920x1200 - why don't you just get SLI 570s (or even 560 Tis) or 6950s? Put the extra money into an SSD.

2 x 580s is way overkill for 1920x1200 - why don't you just get SLI 570s (or even 560 Tis) or 6950s? Put the extra money into an SSD.

In most situations it is, but there games are coming out that can push 2 580 pretty hard and with S3D (though I know that doesn't apply to the OP) can easily use the power.

In most situations it is, but there games are coming out that can push 2 580 pretty hard and with S3D (though I know that doesn't apply to the OP) can easily use the power.

Maybe, but for $900 they better be some kick-ass games (it's easy to recommend spending other people's money). And I agree that 3D, multi-monitor, or even a 120Hz monitor makes a difference, bu doesn't seem like those apply here.

This is the first logical post in this thread.
You don't need 3GB for 1200p. Period.
BF3 @ maxed settings used around 1.2GB out of 1.5GB (GTX580) at 1200p.

Besides, even if you're going for the 3GB 580, why pay 600$ for that card when the 3GB 7950 will be out in a month for 350$?

Besides, even if you're going for the 3GB 580, why pay 600$ for that card when the 3GB 7950 will be out in a month for 350$?

This is a good point, you should probably wait at this point unless you're in a hurry. But there's no guarantees that the 7000s will HARD launch next month. I honestly don't think they will and if they do the supply is probably going to be tighter than a virgin.

It's not a 1080p monitor. It's 1920x1200, not 1920x1080. I don't know where you saw that.

Hmmm, so for staying at 1920x1200 then the 2x 1.5GB should suit me? I don't plan on getting a bigger monitor or doing any type of surround setup anytime soon. The only future 'upgrade' I can see myself making is getting a second monitor for putting other stuff on while I game, or getting a 27 inch display at 2560x1440. 30 inch is a bit much for me.
1080p is basically the same. Why get hung up on it? As far as vram, 3gb is completely useless at this point in time for 6mp or below, including of course 4mp like 2560x1600. You run out of horsepower before vram. Hell, bf3 maxed with no msaa and medium fxaa stays within my 1.28gb vram on gtx 570 sli at 2560x1600. So does crysis 2 dx11 ultra.

Same thing, FPS change by maybe 1-3 at most between to two(Maybe even 5 if your lucky).

Seriously though, this forum is getting so hyped up on this OMG I NEED TONS OF VRAM...the current cards are pretty weak compared to the amount of VRAM. A GTX 580 will usually run out of horsepower before running out of Vram. And if it does run out of Vram, the one with 3gb will be getting maybe 20FPS, which is unplayable for almost every game.

this.

People are definitely sperging out about vram lately, however there's a lot a lot equally stupid like shit "a 560ti can max out 1080p don't get anything better!!!".

However, one thing to consider with the 580s. If one is dead set on getting two GTX 580s this late in their life, you might want to consider just getting two 3Gb 580s. The price difference is about $70 per card. Now, whether you'll get that back reselling the cards later, or if the extra memory ends up being worth it-- who knows. But, it's only an extra $140 to double the memory on both cards and not have to "worry about it".

It's pretty easy to argue that is a massive waste of money, but it's also easy to argue that buying 580s right now is also a huge waste of money. If you're buying something just to hold you over until the next generation comes out there are much more cost effective choices that will get the job done at 1920x1200 for a couple months. In my opinion if you're going to buy 580s right now, might as well get the 3Gb and hope you can make something back on resale and until then enjoy SSAA or crazy texture packs for older games.

At least wait until Monday and see what, if anything, AMD announces.

I don't want to start anything here. That said, I am trying to stay away from ATi now. My experience with this 5870 has been shit as far as driver support goes. My over all experience with this card has been bad (even after an RMA) so I am going back to nVidia.

I don't want to start anything here. That said, I am trying to stay away from ATi now. My experience with this 5870 has been shit as far as driver support goes. My over all experience with this card has been bad (even after an RMA) so I am going back to nVidia.

Totally understandable.

Better 2x 1.5 GB than one 3 GB card, definitely one another card with its GPU and everything will add you more performance than just additional 1.5 GB of memory in one card.

I think we can all agree here that paying only an extra $100 for two 3GB cards over 1.5GB cards is a much wiser investment in the case that he ever decides he wants to upgrade his monitor setup.

I always purchase hardware that allow some room for upgrades such as monitors. Nothing is worse than buying new hardware and then having to sell and buy something better just because you decided you wanted to add another monitor. The 3GB cards allow you to have this luxury and more so this is why I voiced the 3GB cards.

I think we can all agree here that paying only an extra $100 for two 3GB cards over 1.5GB cards is a much wiser investment in the case that he ever decides he wants to upgrade his monitor setup.

It's more complicated than that. Of course the 3GB cards are better, the problem is that you really have to a pretty extreme setup to actually run up against VRAM issues, you really have to go multi-monitor before it's a problem, and then you really need at three cards before you have enough horsepower before that doesn't get exhausted before the VRAM.

No one here is suggesting you'll see a difference between a SINGLE 3GB 580 and a SINGLE 1.5GB 580. Also, I clearly stated that the 1.5GB SLI setup will outperform the single 3GB however, should Proxy ever decide to upgrade, the 3GB in SLI, or not, would help provide a buffer without having to replace his GPU cards in the future.

Last edited:
It's more complicated than that. Of course the 3GB cards are better, the problem is that you really have to a pretty extreme setup to actually run up against VRAM issues, you really have to go multi-monitor before it's a problem, and then you really need at three cards before you have enough horsepower before that doesn't get exhausted before the VRAM.

I think you and I are on the same page here, as I noted the "upgrade" being another monitor. No need to make things more complicated......3GB if you think a multi-monitor setup may be in the future or go with the 1.5GB cards if you plan to only use the one monitor.

But once again.....for only $100 more than the two 1.5GB cards......just go with ttwo 3GB cards and call it a day. You won't have to worry about replacing your cards for a long time.

But once again.....for only $100 more than the two 1.5GB cards......just go with ttwo 3GB cards and call it a day. You won't have to worry about replacing your cards for a long time.

I would agree, if I were buying 580s today I'd get the 3GB since I could probably use the extra VRAM in my case. I bought mine at launch for the 3GB version came out and was thinking about upgrading, but even my case there's not too many cases where VRAM becomes an issue before performance so I didn't think the upgrade to be worth it, I'm not saying that I'm 100% sure about it, I'm just not seeing from what I've looked at.

Well I pulled the rigger on my build order, and went with two 1.5GB cards. Like I said before, I am on a 24 inch monitor at 1920x1200, and have NO plans on getting a 30 inch anytime soon. The only other 'upgrade' I could see myself making is getting a 27 inch screen at 2560x1440 and that's it.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys.

I suggest getting a single gtx580 and putting the other $500 in a savings account. I'm running a single 580 1.5gb at 2560x1440 and I can run BF3 and Skyrim on ultra with no noticeable frame loss. If you want these cards or configuration just for epeen, imo its a little too late in the life cycle for that on these cards. just save your money, you will see no difference in your games at 1920x1200.

to answer your question, a single 3gb is cheaper than two 1.5s, both are equally pointless in real world gaming and epeening. I vote the single card ONLY because of the cost.

To put an end to this:

Wherefore Art Thou 3GB

Evaluating the MSI N580GTX Lightning XE has taught us a lot. It seems that even a 30" display at 2560x1600 isn't a high enough resolution to let this video card stretch its legs. There was a time when a 2560x1600 resolution was a real game changer for a high-end video card in performance and in the capacity to actually utilize high in-game settings with antialiasing. We've learned even the 1.5GB GeForce GTX 580 is not running into a video RAM bottleneck unless you force it to. It was actually rather hard for us to hit bottlenecks, and we tried.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/06/06/msi_n580gtx_lightning_xe_3gb_video_card_review/10

Even at 2560x1600 3GB 580 is kind of pointless.

WOuld you rather have a extra $100 when you decide to sell it when next gen comes out? Then get 3GB, 1.5GB 580's will go for $100 and there will be 10000 of them for sale at the same time when 600 series hits.

I can confirm that you will have to drop AA/AF in some games with only 1.5GB of VRAM. I don't like it, but the GTX 580 was only offered with 1.5GB of VRAM when I bought video cards last time. 3GB models hadn't yet arrived or even had been announced.

I can confirm that you will have to drop AA/AF in some games with only 1.5GB of VRAM.

At only 1920x1200? I don't doubt that's the case but at that resolution there simple can't be that many.

Like you I bought my cards at launch. In Surround the 3GB can make a lot more difference that a single 1920x1200 but in looking at what benchmarks I could find it didn't seem like it was a major upgrade.

At only 1920x1200? I don't doubt that's the case but at that resolution there simple can't be that many.

Like you I bought my cards at launch. In Surround the 3GB can make a lot more difference that a single 1920x1200 but in looking at what benchmarks I could find it didn't seem like it was a major upgrade.

Maybe. I know it's definitely the case at 2560x1600..

Back