19 GPUs on a single motherboard

Andi1980

n00b
I am looking at asus b250 expert mining motherboard and wondering whether Linux will be able to support 19 GPUs of the same brand on this motherboard
Although it has been in stock for a while, it does not seem that anyone has really tested it with so many GPUs
I guess there is no point to test on Windows as it will surely not work, however what about various Linux distributions? will any support that high # of GPUs?

this might help

http://cryptomining-blog.com/tag/13-gpu-mining-rig/

but as far as i know there isn't a limit for linux, windows on the other hand there is an 8 gpu limit per manufacture, though i think AMD is working on changing that. from the information i've found you can run 8 AMD and 8 nvidia GPU's in w10.

Thanks a lot for your advice,
I think AMD has released a new driver just few days ago to support 13 AMD GPUs + 6 P106 GPUs of Nvidia
To me this sounds a bit strange why would AMD require that you MUST run 6 Nvidia GPUs to reach to 19 and not utilize the 19 slots for AMD only
I have spoken to many Windows experts and it seems that the problem is not really in Windows, and as a proof for that, what has removed the limit of 8 GPUs in windows is not a windows patch but an updated AMD driver, which makes sense to conclude that the issue has always been at the GPU driver side not at Windows side (if it makes sense)
Now you can run 19 GPUs of Nvidia in case you have at LEAST 6 GPUs of P106 in PARTICULAR and another 1 Nvidia of your own preference, but for AMD you cant run with 19 AMD GPUs no matter what combination you make, as you MUST introduce at LEAST 6 p106 which is Nvidia obviously

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot for your advice,
I think AMD has released a new driver just few days ago to support 13 AMD GPUs + 6 P106 GPUs of Nvidia
To me this sounds a bit strange why would AMD require that you MUST run 6 Nvidia GPUs to reach to 19 and not utilize the 19 slots for AMD only
I have spoken to many Windows experts and it seems that the problem is not really in Windows, and as a proof for that, what has removed the limit of 8 GPUs in windows is not a windows patch but an updated AMD driver, which makes sense to conclude that the issue has always been at the GPU driver side not at Windows side (if it makes sense)
Now you can run 19 GPUs of Nvidia in case you have at LEAST 6 GPUs of P106 in PARTICULAR and another 1 Nvidia of your own preference, but for AMD you cant run with 19 AMD GPUs no matter what combination you make, as you MUST introduce at LEAST 6 p106 which is Nvidia obviously

Any thoughts?

- A random system hang may be experienced after extended periods of use on system configurations using 12 GPU's for compute workloads.
current known issue in the patch notes.. as far as requiring 6 nvidia gpu's i doubt it, what the limitation is is that you can only use 6 nvidia gpu's when using 13 amd gpu's or some shit.. either way i'd still use linux over windows when setting up a mining box.

AMD most recent driver supports 12 AMD "compute" cards - but seems to be a bit unstable.
The limit is in the DRIVERS - and given that more than 8 cards in a machine is a pretty recent AND UNCOMMON setup, it's not exactly been a priority for AMD or for NVidia - even most high-end PROFESSIONAL COMPUTE type machines only run 8 cards at most (the exceptions I am aware of all run some form of *NIX, and are usually part of massively parallel supercomputer clusters not single machines as such).

I don't believe LINUX has this particular limitation, though I'm sure there's a limit SOMEWHERE on how many cards LINUX can run at one time.

Back