1800+ watt UPS question

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Do UPSes above 1800W (such as an APC 3000) have their own dedicated 15 amp breakers to split the load accross several circuits, or is it everything spread accross the same outlet bank?

My gut feeling tells me it's separate circuits as it makes sense from a safety standpoint, but just want confirmation.

Eventually I may get one or two to power my entire rack, but I want to make sure it will make sense from an electrical point of view and that the extra capacity is not only for big servers that actually use a twistlock on their own.

Do UPSes above 1800W (such as an APC 3000) have their own dedicated 15 amp breakers to split the load accross several circuits, or is it everything spread accross the same outlet bank?

My gut feeling tells me it's separate circuits as it makes sense from a safety standpoint, but just want confirmation.

Eventually I may get one or two to power my entire rack, but I want to make sure it will make sense from an electrical point of view and that the extra capacity is not only for big servers that actually use a twistlock on their own.

They have their own dedicated circuit, they also have a non standard plug, some are 110 but most are 220.

It is easier for a ups to make 110 from 220, for current.

Yeah not too worried about the plug, guessing they're usually a 30a twistlock. Some are 240v out but I will probably go 120 out (don't care too much about in) for everything just to be consistent. I've seen environments where there is a mix of 240 and 120 and it can be scary when you don't know what's what.

At work they installed this new rack and never told us it was wired for 208. We found out when we decided to plug a server into it. LOL

Yeah not too worried about the plug, guessing they're usually a 30a twistlock. Some are 240v out but I will probably go 120 out (don't care too much about in) for everything just to be consistent. I've seen environments where there is a mix of 240 and 120 and it can be scary when you don't know what's what.

At work they installed this new rack and never told us it was wired for 208. We found out when we decided to plug a server into it. LOL

It actually should not have hurt the server at all, if you go look at a psu from a computer laptop psu, they all say 110-240, because they are auto and they are all switching.

The psu will decided what frequency & voltage to run at depending on the input voltage.

That is why it is easy to buy a laptop with a power brick, then just change the end when you go out of country.

unless you installed a 110v ONLY server then i can't see why this had any problems.

It actually should not have hurt the server at all, if you go look at a psu from a computer laptop psu, they all say 110-240, because they are auto and they are all switching.

The psu will decided what frequency & voltage to run at depending on the input voltage.

That is why it is easy to buy a laptop with a power brick, then just change the end when you go out of country.

unless you installed a 110v ONLY server then i can't see why this had any problems.

Yeah lot of the newer stuff is auto switching, but not this particular equipment we tried. :D had the switch on the back to switch between 120 and 240.

Back