18 FANS!!! need a controller(s)..

cracknub

Weaksauce
So I'm getting Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra case for my current rig (sig), decided to go a little nuts, and do the 18 fan option.

I'm getting nine (9):
Apevia CF14SL-BBL (140mm)

and nine (9):
Apevia CF12SL-BBL (120mm)

I wanted to refrain from plugging them into the mobo and control them separately. What are my options? Do I just get three front bay 6-channel controllers? If so, which ones? I haven't done much research yet and decided to start here first. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Would it be possible to to control the nine fans on the door with one knob/switch?

Wow, timta2, you are the man. Your first line alone solved my entire problem pretty much. I mad researched a bunch of controllers and the one you showed me is the one I will be buying. Since the most I would need for one channel is 22 watts max (the nine 120mm fans). And the mesh will match the case perfectly. Now my last problem is knowing how to correctly splice all the fan wires together. Any ideas on a proper technique?

EDIT: Nvm found all my cable splitting needs at performance-pcs.com... awesome. Thanks for your help man.

Last edited:
What's your intake/outlet plan? Are you going to have half the fans pushing out and the nine fans on the sidepanel pushing in? Seems to me that if you have 18 fans pushing out, you may end up with a bit of a vacuum problem.

What's your intake/outlet plan? Are you going to have half the fans pushing out and the nine fans on the sidepanel pushing in? Seems to me that if you have 18 fans pushing out, you may end up with a bit of a vacuum problem.

-Nine 120mm's intake (door)
-Four 140mm's intake (Front/HDD cage)
-One 140mm intake (bottom/PSU)
-Three 140mm's outtake (top/ceiling)
-One 140mm outtake (rear attached to Antec Kuhler 920)

Why not just swap the 5v and 12v wires on a molex extension and hook them up to that? That's what I did on my Mountain Mods Ascension. Do you really ever plan on adjusting the fan speed?

Surprised no one's already recommended this....
maybe get better fans? :D
Apevia's aren't really known for quality, and you can throw their CFM/dB numbers out the window because there's no way a $9 Apevia 120mm has a better CFM/dB ratio than a Noctua, GT, or even a Yate Loon. :p
Jab-Tech has Yates cheap; any time I'm buying or recommending a cheap fan, it's a Yate Loon. Whether you get the "direct from YL" Yate or the "knockoff" model that is cheaper....doesn't matter, I'd bet you anything that the knockoff Yate puts up better CFM/dB compared to the $9 Apevia. ;) There are also 140mm Yates as well.

If you want a GOOD fan and you're ok with spending more....S-Flex or Gentle Typhoon.

Apevia's aren't really known for quality, and you can throw their CFM/dB numbers out the window because there's no way a $9 Apevia 120mm has a better CFM/dB ratio than a Noctua, GT, or even a Yate Loon. :p
Jab-Tech has Yates cheap; any time I'm buying or recommending a cheap fan, it's a Yate Loon. Whether you get the "direct from YL" Yate or the "knockoff" model that is cheaper....doesn't matter, I'd bet you anything that the knockoff Yate puts up better CFM/dB compared to the $9 Apevia. ;) There are also 140mm Yates as well.

If you want a GOOD fan and you're ok with spending more....S-Flex or Gentle Typhoon.
+1 to fan choices. I'm sadly addicted to the gentle noise of GT's, just wish they weren't a premium.

Also, your fan in/out seems really imbalanced. Not that positive pressure won't work, but if you're really planning on 'that' many fans, you're probably sub-optimal in your layout.

Also, your fan in/out seems really imbalanced. Not that positive pressure won't work, but if you're really planning on 'that' many fans, you're probably sub-optimal in your layout.

Then what would you do?

Question though: why put 9 fans on the door as opposed to like, 4 larger fans (more CFM for less noise)?

Or if you need more power, the Lamptron FC-9 is 50w per channel x4 channels.

http://www.xoxide.com/lamptron-fc9-fancontroller.html

The only problem with that as it doesn't have a PWM port.

Yeah I might to go with Yate Loon's even though it's gonna cost $70 more for sleeving and will fuck me up cabling-wise. Wanted to have the nine fans on one channel but Yate Loons require more wattage (3.6 watts as opposed to Apevia's 2.4 watts). I don't know still deciding.

Question though: why put 9 fans on the door as opposed to like, 4 larger fans (more CFM for less noise)?

9 x D12SH-124B* (120mm) = 792 CFM
4 x D14SH-124B* (140mm) = 560 CFM

* Yate Loon

Plus Rosewill's site only specifies that the door can either support nine 120mms or one 200mm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998091

I got this 12 channel Scythe controller for my case because it looked bad ass, classy/simple appearance and works well. I only use it to control 5 fans though, but I figure I can use it until the end of time (or it breaks). I wonder if you could double up a few fans and run them all off that?

YeaH but I wanted to keep the use of channels to a minimum. Henceforth wanting a controller that allowed 30watts per channel. Reason being that I could put the inie fans on the door on one channel as I would only need 24 watts if I used the Apevia fans. That scythe only allows 12 watts per channel.

9 x D12SH-124B* (120mm) = 792 CFM
4 x D14SH-124B* (140mm) = 560 CFM

* Yate Loon

Plus Rosewill's site only specifies that the door can either support nine 120mms or one 200mm.

Makes sense. I guess it would have been more about noise than anything but like you said, apparently 4x 140mm is not possible anyway.

Back