• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

18 Cool Things Windows 7 Does That Vista Doesn't

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
TechRadar has posted a list of 18 cool things Windows 7 does that Vista doesn’t do. Obviously the native ISO burner, Jumplists, new task bar and the Windows XP mode are the more talked about features but some of these other ones are cool too.

Ever had 10 Notepad, two Powerpoint and 50 Outlook windows open? Want to minimize all of them except the most important one? In Windows 7, you can grab the top of the window and shake it about to scare away all of the other open windows. Simple.
 
I'd take the vista taskbar over that new one.. other than that... 7 is the best OS yet
 
i <3 being able to burn iso's on a fresh install, it was especially handy when a new rc build would come out every 3 days :D
 
Only things that are missing is native Blu-ray and HD DVD.

And how do you use the build in LCD Calibration tool?
 
EDIT: Found it, Screen Resolution>>Advanced>>Color Management>>Advanced 'Tab'

SWEET!
 
I'd take the vista taskbar over that new one.. other than that... 7 is the best OS yet

Right Click Taskbar > Properties > Use Small Icons

If you're feeling even more nostalgic, change Taskbar buttons to Combine When Taskbar is Full
 
While I like 7, most of these things can be done in Vista with applications. Some of them (like #7, eliminate things in the notification area) are actually in Vista. I wont go so far as to say the author is an idiot, but this list is pretty retarded.

I think its great that Microsoft found ways to improve, but they took some steps back too. WTF did they castrate Windows Vista Movie Maker and pull it out of the OS for 7? Live Movie Maker blows chunks. They should have left Movie Maker alone and improved the native DVD maker. The version in 7 is identical to the one in Vista and still doesn't give you the ability to manually assign chapters.
 
The best thing so far about Windows 7 is the new Media Center. It does a better job then XP MCE or Vista.

The only problem is the MS DTV/DVD Decoder sucks for some capture cards (like mine). So Live TV can look kinda blocky. The best thing to do would be to replace the decoder with something else, like ffdshow for example. Unfortunately, 64-bit is refusing any other decoder.

I'm sure there will be compatible decoders by October.

How did they miss the new Media Center?
 
I still don't get what everyone is hyping about the Win7 Gui..There is little difference between it and Vista, other then the fact that the 7 designer apparently had something against a rounded task bar instead of the square ugly he put in.

I wouldn't call this 18 things Vista doesn't do, there are only a few things in that article that vista doesn't actually do. Most are just improvements on vista. Don't get me wrong, overall I like 7, but I think the interface was a small step backwards.
 
1. Shake 'em away

Ever had 10 Notepad, two Powerpoint and 50 Outlook windows open? Want to minimise all of them except the most important one? In Windows 7, you can grab the top of the window and shake it about to scare away all of the other open windows. Simple.

THIS IS SO EPIC

I can see it now "aaarrrraaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhh *shakes mouse violently* aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh" and they all go away.
 
Right Click Taskbar > Properties > Use Small Icons

If you're feeling even more nostalgic, change Taskbar buttons to Combine When Taskbar is Full

Because it sucks ass when you have 4-5 Explorer windows and it takes like 15 seconds to get the right one open. If I could prevent Win7 from combining that, but let it combine all other windows, I'd be happy.
 
I still don't get what everyone is hyping about the Win7 Gui..There is little difference between it and Vista, other then the fact that the 7 designer apparently had something against a rounded task bar instead of the square ugly he put in.
Have you tried 7 yet? The new taskbar is a delight, and it pretty much on par with the OS X Dock in terms of functionality (well, sort of).

Because it sucks ass when you have 4-5 Explorer windows and it takes like 15 seconds to get the right one open. If I could prevent Win7 from combining that, but let it combine all other windows, I'd be happy.
Hover over the icon and wait roughly 1/3 of a second for it to display the fold-out showing all of the windows and their titles (I might guess that the wait time is tweakable).
 
I'd take the vista taskbar over that new one.. other than that... 7 is the best OS yet

you can cutomize the 7 taskbar to function just like vista, the default is just optimized for touchscreens
 
THIS IS SO EPIC

I can see it now "aaarrrraaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhh *shakes mouse violently* aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh" and they all go away.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

"Unuseful tabs, fear my mighty mouse shaking!"
 
Have you tried 7 yet? The new taskbar is a delight, and it pretty much on par with the OS X Dock in terms of functionality (well, sort of).


Hover over the icon and wait roughly 1/3 of a second for it to display the fold-out showing all of the windows and their titles (I might guess that the wait time is tweakable).

Yes, I love the OS X Dock, I don't love shit on my taskbar. I want an actual dock, not a taskbar trying to be a dock.I have never been a fan of the quick launches and go out of my way to get rid of them (Personal preference). For example I Love this particular little program. http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/ , I just hate how 7 Does it. I like a nice thin sleek taskbar, and then my dock.
 
Have you tried 7 yet? The new taskbar is a delight, and it pretty much on par with the OS X Dock in terms of functionality (well, sort of).


Hover over the icon and wait roughly 1/3 of a second for it to display the fold-out showing all of the windows and their titles (I might guess that the wait time is tweakable).

As of last time I used the beta, it's not 1/3 of a second, it's closer to 5-6 seconds hovering over it. If it was instant, that'd be wonderful.
 
As of last time I used the beta, it's not 1/3 of a second, it's closer to 5-6 seconds hovering over it. If it was instant, that'd be wonderful.

Using the RC now, it's roughly 1 sec of hovering for the fold out to show up on my system.
 
I think the default fatty-bar is too large. It's purely an aesthetics thing for me; I like a small, unobtrusive bar. I am glad it can be changed, though, and I do like the functionality of the new bar. It is more like a dock - minus the flashy, unnecessary bs.
 
not having built in movie maker is a massive fucking fail!

im running 7 these days and I love it (after making the task bar vista like) but damn i miss windows movie maker 6.

i know you can install wmm2 but that doesnt allow encoding to hd quality.
 
1. Shake 'em away
Win+M does the same thing. I love to shake my mouse aimlessly though is there a way to turn this crap off??? Policy I hope.

2. Jumplists
Really don't care and won't use it.

3. A step forward in previewing
Really don't care and won't use it, this is a feature for people who say things like "I can't see the window because there is another one partially in front of it."

4. Snap into place
Annoying, I hope there are policies to turn it off

5. XP Mode
Will never use it.

6. An easier and quicker way to adjust multiple displays
Good idea should have been in WinXP, but I still won't use it.

7. A personalised Stage for your device
A Stage? No. devmgmt.msc is all I need thanks.

8. (Almost) eliminate the notification area!
You can do this in Vista and XP also.

9. Problem Steps Recorder
Whoever thought of this deserves free pizza on fridays for the next 10 years. Need more stuff like this.

10. A brand new Magnifier tool
Good for monitoring the computer across the room but I don't really need an improved one.

11. A new way to preview your music files
I prefer to do it with filenames. Call me old fashioned but metatags seem like an overcomplicated way to handle this.

12. Homegroup Networking
Oh god I hate this.

13. Stream Music directly to another computer
What? I will simply play the file from the other computer, why would I want to "stream" it?

14. Action Center
Just as pointless as XP/Vista Security Center. I always override it to shut it up.

15. Pin just about anything to the new Windows Taskbar
You mean quicklaunch that has been around since Win98? Whatever else this does I won't use it.

16. Improved Touch Navigation
I prefer mouse and keyboard.

17. Native ISO Burner
About damn time, but I will still use CDBurnerXP or some other various utility.

18. Native calibration tools
Good idea but I will never use it.
 
I think the default fatty-bar is too large. It's purely an aesthetics thing for me; I like a small, unobtrusive bar. I am glad it can be changed, though, and I do like the functionality of the new bar. It is more like a dock - minus the flashy, unnecessary bs.

You can change the start bar to be slim or go so far as making it like it is in XP/Vista. If an app isn't running the icon will be the size of a quicklaunch icon and when you start the app it will have a button like XP/Vista has.
 
Most of the user interface improvements in Win7 are very cool. There's probably a hundred little tweaks and improvements that don't sound like much on their own but added together it really is a huge improvement over Vista, which was basically Windows 95 with transparency from a user interface perspective. I mean it didn't really "use" Aero for anything other than to make everything shiny and/or transparent.

Even the new task bar is quite useful for when you have more than 5-10 applications open, although it takes some getting used to.

XP Mode however will not be available in Home Premium, which is the version most people will buy. It's not for allowing your grandma to run Office 97, it's so large businesses can run their archaic, customized software.
 
the only thing that i really like is the increased network transfer times. i can transfer 10gb faster than winxp can transfer 1gb
 
You can change the start bar to be slim or go so far as making it like it is in XP/Vista. If an app isn't running the icon will be the size of a quicklaunch icon and when you start the app it will have a button like XP/Vista has.

Thank you, but reread my post:

I am glad it can be changed, though, and I do like the functionality of the new bar.

:D
 
i always thought #1 was a bug, i hate that, i'm always doing it accidentally.
if i want something minimized then i minimize it myself, i need to bring the pointer to the taskbar anyways.
 
As of last time I used the beta, it's not 1/3 of a second, it's closer to 5-6 seconds hovering over it. If it was instant, that'd be wonderful.
Damn, five seconds? I can understand your frustration if that's the case.

For me, though, yeah, it's roughly 1/3 of a second. If you have dozens of windows, however, I imagine the time would go up a bit.
 
Back
Top