18.0MP = ? MB

McRackin

Limp Gawd
I know MP do not have an absolute correlation between the size of its image files, but what APPROX range could I be looking at in terms of size of an image file for an 18MP photo so I know how large of a memory card I should buy?

Thanks.

Depends on being RAW or Jpeg, etc etc. It's with a 7d?

This should help

So around 3.2mb maybe if it's Jpeg (depends on the colors contained within). If its RAW depends on the type.

There is a really wide range of file-sizes depending on the content of the picture and how easily it can be compressed/stored. If you take a pic of a solid white card, it's going to be a much smaller file size than a landscape with tons and tons of detail.

For reference, my D90 shoots 12mp raw files that are anywhere from 5 to 12 mb (which is about the same as 12mp jpg's from my last P&S), so I'd plan on 8-15mb per file in general. And of course if you’re camera shoots TIF’s or uses a less efficient raw format, those files could easily be upwards of 50mb apiece…

So... I'd plan on getting at least an 8gb card for starters, or a 16gb if you don't mind the price. You'll probably want to pick up more cards over time, but either of those should be fine starting off. Also, make sure you get at least class 6 speed - class 10+ would really be preferable.

my d700 shots jpg between 5-7 mb. shoots raw about 22mb a file.

Back