• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

172x better than 710t? ---->X<-----

zaptoman

n00b
Joined
Aug 4, 2004
Messages
35
I've been taking a look at all the reviews around, and i've just got one question. Is the Samsung 172x better than the 710t for games? Ghosting, etc.
 
Not nearly. Ghosting performance is at or below the level of the newer 710T. Furthermore, colors will be much more washed out on the 172x as it is an 18bit panel instead of a 24bit like the 710T.
 
Are you sure, because the entire reason I asked was that there are so many conflicting opinions as to which one is better in relation to ghosting. As for the colors, I'm not a graphic artist, so I doubt that I'll either notice or care.
 
You will notice if you like watching movies or playing games. Games that use dark colors will look infinitely better on the 710T, and the same goes for movies. For 100 dollars you won't gain anything in the performance sector by going with the 172x.
 
I have the 172x and I couldn't be happier. I can say that everything looks really good...the colors are bright and vibrant, the ghosting is non existant. I only suggest that u use the PnP monitor drivers instead of the samsung drivers so that you can get a true 75hz refresh rate. The samsung drivers are capped at 70. The blacks on here are really true as well...also this is one of the sexiest monitors ever created. A 7mm edge....that is amazing!
 
Mysogonist said:
I have the 172x and I couldn't be happier. I can say that everything looks really good...the colors are bright and vibrant, the ghosting is non existant. I only suggest that u use the PnP monitor drivers instead of the samsung drivers so that you can get a true 75hz refresh rate. The samsung drivers are capped at 70. The blacks on here are really true as well...also this is one of the sexiest monitors ever created. A 7mm edge....that is amazing!

You don't need to use the PnP. You can simply uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display," and select 75hz. Works for the 710T and the 172x. I, however, still stand by the fact that the 710T is a better performing monitor, while the 172x just looks pretty.
 
BombermanX said:
You don't need to use the PnP. You can simply uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display," and select 75hz. Works for the 710T and the 172x. I, however, still stand by the fact that the 710T is a better performing monitor, while the 172x just looks pretty.

Both the 710T and the 172X are excellent gaming monitors.. your making it seem like the 172X is vastly inferior and only looks good.

There is a slight difference between the two...but its not as great as your making out to be..

Its close enough that asthetics could matter to someone.
 
Actually, when you bring it down to colors; the 172x IS vastly inferior. The 710T can display 256x more colors.
 
btw, samsung recently changed the 710t specs on the usa site to 16.2 million colors
 
yeah, it kind of sucks, the 710t used to be labeled as 16.7 million colors. i bought the thing hoping that it was 24 bit but somewhat suspecting that it was really 18 bit display... i guess they finally fixed the site
 
From what I read, the 710T is better for gaming and the like. I just ordered one last night. I think the higher price of the 172X makes most people give it a second look. You assume more money = better, especially when sold by the same company in the same class. Overall I found people's opinion of the 710T very high and the 172X iffy.
 
iZero said:
From what I read, the 710T is better for gaming and the like. I just ordered one last night. I think the higher price of the 172X makes most people give it a second look. You assume more money = better, especially when sold by the same company in the same class. Overall I found people's opinion of the 710T very high and the 172X iffy.

Where? anyone I've ever spoken on both sides seems to like both monitors

If your buying simply on performance then of course the cheaper 710T is a better choice.

If your interested in asthetics with about 99% of the performance then the 172X is an excellent choice.

I think people get out of hand when something reasonably priced (aka Dell 2001FP) performs well.. they tend to overinflate their choice against other choices.

Both the 710T and 172X are excellent gaming LCD's you really can't go wrong with either.
 
Back
Top