1700X wtf?

groebuck

2[H]4U
I just picked up a 1799X at MC to put in my main rig and move my 1700 to my play on media server - umm...all I did was drop it in the same mobo - seemed slower so I ran cinebench and I am getting 963?? I looked up average for 1700x and it in 1491?? I don't get it - the 1700 in it before was oced to 3.8 amd chewed through it.

i did a full reset - the other odd thing - my memory ran 2933 on the 1700 but can only thit 2633 on the 1700X same memory same board

I might try reinstalling the all in one amd drivers but man - I dunno - You would think just swapping out the cpu would not cause any issues,.

try this, its worked for me with goofiness like this when changing between similar cpus.

pull cpu
pull batt and hit power to discharge
wait 5 min and replace batt
power on without cpu wait a minute and power off
replace cpu and press it in tight to the socket as you lower the arm
power up and see if that clears things up

Okay well I think I figured out why the crappy performance - CPU -Z is reporting 2.1 ghz for the chip - and no matter what I do - set it manually in the bios or use oc software - nothing changes it. it's like it is permanently stuck in speed step mode at low speed?? I am going to swap out the mobo tomorrow - but I never had a problem with it before and again all I did was change the cpu.

Okay well I think I figured out why the crappy performance - CPU -Z is reporting 2.1 ghz for the chip - and no matter what I do - set it manually in the bios or use oc software - nothing changes it. it's like it is permanently stuck in speed step mode at low speed?? I am going to swap out the mobo tomorrow - but I never had a problem with it before and again all I did was change the cpu.
Well it's rare but it looks like there something wrong with the CPU.. Especially when previous 1700 worked fine. Maybe MC could test it ?

Get the CPU replaced at MC, it is the most logical reason for the problem.

i would check the heatsink seating and possibly the cpu as well while the heatsinks off check for any bent pins or something. also make sure you're using the AMD power profile or using the performance profile. if none of those work it sounds like you got hit by the multiplier bug if you're changing any voltages/multipliers. asrock should be releasing a bios soon that fixes the problem, just not sure when it'll hit their support page.

here's a link to the information i posted in another thread for the multiplier bug work around.
Ryzen OCing on asrock Taichi x370 WTF am i doing WRONG THREAD!!

Check your windows power plan. Your probably running in powwr save with clock limits imposed.

Can you set everything in BIOS to default please? I had an issue when you touch the voltage, the clocks would drop to the default idle state and stay there.
Also make sure you have high performance on in Windows power options, or Ryzen hybrid power.

Can you set everything in BIOS to default please? I had an issue when you touch the voltage, the clocks would drop to the default idle state and stay there.
Also make sure you have high performance on in Windows power options, or Ryzen hybrid power.

Do This. Full CLEAR CMOS and start from scratch. Seems like your CPU is stuck in a high P-State which means something is probably changing VID or something.

Wow, this sounds pretty messed up.

That being said, I assume you planning on OCing that 1700X? Because if you don't, it seems to me that this is kind of a downgrade since a 1700X only runs at 3.4ghz when all cores are loaded.

I just want it to run at stock first. Once i get home I will do a full cmos reset. I was just going to buy another 1700 to set up my playon media server but since the 1700X was cheaper I figured I would go wtih that...(MC sale right now).

Well the mystery continues - i reset the cmos via jumper, pulled the power and reset the cmos battery - still stuck at 2200 mhz...I pu tthe 1700 back in - boom back to normal - set the oc to 3800 and ram to 2933 like before - boom - all is fine - so maybe it is the cpu?

Well the mystery continues - i reset the cmos via jumper, pulled the power and reset the cmos battery - still stuck at 2200 mhz...I pu tthe 1700 back in - boom back to normal - set the oc to 3800 and ram to 2933 like before - boom - all is fine - so maybe it is the cpu?

Only logical possibility at this point. :D

Gotta be the CPU. Return it to MC for a different one.

In the meantime leave the 1700 in there and load up WCG for team [H] so we can catch 3rd place in our race.

for curiosity look at the pins of that cpu and maybe take a good picture and put it here to see wtf .... maybe it missing some capacitors on cpu pcb ....

Yeah i ran a 24 hour stress to be sure and rock solid. Just does not want to do 4 at all though lol.

Yeah i ran a 24 hour stress to be sure and rock solid. Just does not want to do 4 at all though lol.

even the low vid chips like yours they still need over 1.4v to potentially hit 4Ghz.

Last edited:
So it was a dud CPU? Pretty rare now-a-days.

I had terrible luck with OC in the bios. I use the Ryzen Master software and it works perfectly (even idle throttling)....just have to re-apply every time the machine reboots.

Plenty of Ryzens are duds. That one seems to be specifically terrible, though.

3.9/2933 on my initial release 1700X. Would like more tbh

Plenty of Ryzens are duds. That one seems to be specifically terrible, though.

3.9/2933 on my initial release 1700X. Would like more tbh

Well even at best there is just not much more, 4.1 vs 3.9 is not much. Memory speed comes down to your modules used and the motherboard you use. The op's chip was clearly bad tho.

Well even at best there is just not much more, 4.1 vs 3.9 is not much. Memory speed comes down to your modules used and the motherboard you use. The op's chip was clearly bad tho.
From a different perspective, 1.26V is also incredibly low, AFAIK, for a max OC. I can't even run my 1700 @ 3.7 (Turbo) on 1.26V.

So not only does he have a chip that basically hits what most Ryzen people are aiming for, he's doing it running on almost no juice.

Back