16P Netgear Gig-E Unmanaged Switch not working with Spectrum Wireless Router *advice needed*

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
Does anyone have any idea how I get these two to work together? I subscribe to Spectrum and they dropped off two consoles for my internet. One is the modem, the other is a WiFi router, and has an integrated 4P switch. I want to be able to use my Netgear 16P Gig-E switch with this ISP rental until I do an upgrade to WiFi 6 for the home network.

I get no "connected light" nor "activity light" on Netgear 16P

-I have tried all the plugs on WiFi router switch 1, 2, 3 & 4.
-I have tried multiple cables and different types, Cat5e & Cat6
-I have tried plugging into every single port on the 16P Netgear for "uplink" since there's no dedicated uplink, it's an unmanaged switch

I'm not a networking guy, but this 16P switch worked fine with my TP-Link Archer before I upgraded to 500MB internet about two months ago.
Never messed with it until now, but need it for a couple (3) LAN PC's now, 2 dedicated (always on)

Strange that it isn't linking. Does a PC work on the router?

It's odd that the switches won't link to each other. There are no "uplink" ports anymore, auto-crossover is part of the gigabit spec, so as long as at least one of the switches is gigabit, you should be able to link to any other switch.

I would start by connecting a device (a computer for example) to each port on each switch and verify that one of the switches has not died. I've had more than one Netgear switch simply up and die over the years. If you can successfully connect a device to both switches, but the switches still for whatever reason won't connect to each other, I'd suggest using a cheap switch in the middle. You can get a 5-port gigabit switch for about $15 these days. Use that in between your router and 16-port switch. If you only have 3 LAN PCs, then just you could also just use the 5-port by itself, or just plug them directly into the switch ports on the router.

Get an SB8200 cable modem, your own router, and be done with Spectrum’s crappy hardware.

that’s what I did. never had an issue.

Get an SB8200 cable modem, your own router, and be done with Spectrum’s crappy hardware.

that’s what I did. never had an issue.
No idea what Motorola modem Spectrum (actually Charter, I think?) gave me, but it's worked continuously for months on end. Goes to an Edgerouter 4 and then on to switches and access points and so on.

Of course, that's a YMMV thing. Biggest issue I think is that the OP will only be issued a single IP address, so they need a router to do NAT behind it (or get Spectrum to enable their stuff).

No idea what Motorola modem Spectrum (actually Charter, I think?) gave me, but it's worked continuously for months on end. Goes to an Edgerouter 4 and then on to switches and access points and so on.

Of course, that's a YMMV thing. Biggest issue I think is that the OP will only be issued a single IP address, so they need a router to do NAT behind it (or get Spectrum to enable their stuff).

Spectrum gives customers the cheapest POS modems they can give you. The gave me a UBEE modem initially which didnt allow bridge mode operation. I looked at their list of 'certified' modems and picked one that was closest to the features I wanted. The SB8200 gives me a little more 'future resistance' even though it isnt on their list of certified modems. It still works though.

I will take the advice here, sorry I have been away for work training out of state. Thanks for everyone's input.

Yes, there are 2 devices. 1 Spectrum Modem and 1 Spectrum WiFi (Router) if thats what you wanna call it, lol
It has a 4P switch on it and broadcasts my WiFi

I haven't upgraded yet since I was going to go from Gig-E to 2.5, but after some research Im going to make the jump from 802.11ac to ax as well as 10G with switch and hardware NICs in NAS and Gaming Rig - Kill (2) birds sorta thing, just wanted to get my gig-E switch going in meantime

Back