150GB Velociraptors Now Listed on WD's site

the BL version is the enterprise version that doesn't come with the ice pack and is in the 2.5" enterprise form factor - the GL version is the one with the ice pack in the 3.5" size...I'm sure the warranty and definitely sure the price differs as well.

edit: I like the "feature" the VR has -

NoTouch™ ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.

since when have the heads been touching the disk??? I could only imagine the catastrophic damage of a needle hitting a disk moving at 10k RPM

the BL version is the enterprise version that doesn't come with the ice pack and is in the 2.5" enterprise form factor - the GL version is the one with the ice pack in the 3.5" size...I'm sure the warranty and definitely sure the price differs as well.

since when have the heads been touching the disk??? I could only imagine the catastrophic damage of a needle hitting a disk moving at 10k RPM

NO sh*t .... isnt that what causes HDD failures....isnt that the reason for FreeFall Sensors so the heads move off the platters so they dont hit on impact? WTF

What is the usual price difference 'tween their consumer/enterprise grade parts? This 2.5" would be ideal for my new build.

I'm sure the warranty and definitely sure the price differs as well.
What will they do with the warranty?

What is the usual price difference 'tween their consumer/enterprise grade parts?
AFAIK, all of the Raptor family are considered enterprise grade drives......

Rock-solid reliability - Designed and manufactured to mission-critical enterprise-class standards to provide enterprise reliability in high duty cycle environments. With 1.4 million hours MTBF, these drives have the highest available reliability rating on a high capacity SATA drive.

What are the guesses on the price of the 150 VR?
I'm guessing $220.00 MSRP......

$200... they are going the make it cheaper $/gb for you to get the 300gb, because they make more profit on the 300gb than they will on 150gb.

What will they do with the warranty?

My bad on the warranty, I thought that the "consumer" model came with a 3 year and the "enterprise" model came with a 5 year - but both come with a 5 year......well I guess technically the warranties do differ in that the GL doesn't allow for operation without the icepack :p

AFAIK, all of the Raptor family are considered enterprise grade drives......

True, but it's in the marketing here - WD is considering that most consumers will go for the GL and most enterprise users will go for the BL even though the only difference is in the ice pack - although from my readings on the forums, most of us here would rather do without the icepack and keep the warranty

What are the guesses on the price of the 150 VR?
I'm guessing $220.00 MSRP......

I'd throw my guess in at $250 for the 150 BL, although that does seem a bit steep

Holy crap! No icepack!

Where did I put that champange!!!!

Because you know Ockie is going to find a way to stuff 400 of these into a case...

I just want to stick two of them in my SFF. Along with the two video cards, quad processor, 4 1tb hard drives, and two optical drives :D

The heads, or rather the skid pads attached to the bottom of the arms holding the heads do indeed contact the platter surface when the disk spins down on most drives. In most cases, the heads are auto-parked to the edge of the platter to prevent damage to the data holding areas when the heads "land".

There actually used to be a hard drive configuration parameter called "Landing Zone". Usually this was set to a value one number higher than the last cylinder of the drive (i.e. if you had 784 cylinders, you'd set the LZ to 785). In those days, the drives didn't auto park themselves. New drives do.

In the VR (as well as the IBM Deskstar 15.3GB drive I had in 1999, this is not a new thing) the heads are placed on a parking ramp instead of being allowed to land on the platter. It's practically useless and mostly a feel-good feature.

WD is considering that most consumers will go for the GL and most enterprise users will go for the BL even though the only difference is in the ice pack - although from my readings on the forums, most of us here would rather do without the icepack and keep the warranty

What's BL and GL?

Without the icepack, I'd just have to get some kinda adaptor anyway.

There were some anti-noise people that had some concerns about the ice pack actually amplifying certain frequencies.

I think many users were looking for a way to put one into a laptop without voiding the warranty.

And, of course, those with 2.5" server bays are popping the corks! :D

So we have 200, 220, and 250 as MSRP guesses. One of us has got to be close!

SO are these 150GB drives single platter/2heads, Dual platter short stroked/4 heads or dual single sided platter /2 heads?
:)

SO are these 150GB drives single platter/2heads, Dual platter short stroked/4 heads or dual single sided platter /2 heads?
:)

I don't see them wasting money by selling a 10k platter half used at reduced cost. They are most likely single platter drives. That would make the most sense.

man i just want a 150GB, plus ice pack, and the standard sata port location! :D
is this too much to ask?

does anyone know if wd is gonna relocate the sata port?

Pricing on the 150GB are already known.. I made a post about it awhile back

Around $200-220.

There is also the HL model which I suppose will replace the GL

Back