~$150 headphones

gamekid

Gawd
i would like some nice headphones for gaming and was wondering what i could get for ~$150(less would be much better, dont go over), i was thinking of the hd555's but they dont seem so great(taking this off of reviews, never herd them yet) and just saw the hdj-1000's on another thread here.........

i need to have a good set that block out sound and cover my whole ear for they can be comfortably after hours of play...........

i heard that headphones with mic's arent that great so i would like to get a separate mic at a later date(i dont really know how much they go for

and right now i will be useing onboard sound but am planning to get a good soundcard (~$100) as soon as possible

I suggest you divert some of that soundcard money towards the headphones. Still, many ~$150 headphones of closed design pretty much require a headphone amplifier, which incurs additional cost. Let's say your total audio budget is $150 + $100 = $250.

I would spend

~$170 on the Sennheiser HD580 headphones
~$30 on the Chaintech AV-710 soundcard
and the remainder towards a decent amplifier, like a PIMETA or MINT or PPA

The reason I cought that is cause I almost said the same thing. :)
I would suggest the HD280pro's
Ecost also has a good deal on those at the moment.... even if they are refurbished.

If you want sound blockage, look at the Sony noise cancelling phones, or the Shure or Etymotic canalphones.

I have the Sony EX-71 and it's a rpetty nice choice, and is very easy to drive off the soundcard. I also own teh Shure E2 and E3 (the c designation on some shures just mean they are the "non music store" version of the `phones), and they are excellent as well.

The advantage of teh sony is being of a canalphone design as well as noise cencelling, gives it a very very strong noise blockage factor...meaning you can pretty much hear whatever your trying to play.

Now if your worried about others hearing your stuff...than any canalphone will do wonders. I found on some closed phones others can still hear the music, just not as loud as with open phones.

I would recommend looking at the Shure ones like posted above. The E2c's are only $99 and I love mine. As long as you don't mind earphones (they're just fine once you get them in right) then they give really awesome sound and totally block out background noise.

The one thing I do not like about mine is that if I am at a LAN party it is hard to hear people talking to you while gaming, so I end up just wearing one of them or both of them loosely.

another vote for E2c's. I love mine, never travel without them. haven't used them at the computer too much, but they do produce excellent sound with very very little leakage

redheadfred said:
another vote for E2c's. I love mine, never travel without them. haven't used them at the computer too much, but they do produce excellent sound with very very little leakage

Yeah, I forgot to mention that sort of, they're awesome on planes for blocking sound. Normally I'd have to put my headphones on full blast on the plane but with the Shures I just put it up about 5% above normal and be just fine. If you're looking for headphones that'll be good for portable music too these are the ones...

there's also the option of the audio-technica a500s or a900s. the a500s will run you about 99US, and the a900s are about 200US. they are a nice blend between the sennheiser and grado cans as far as sound goes. and for price/performance they're very high. You can get them from www.audiocubes.com (the bring em in from japan). I also highly recommend the chaintech sound card with them.

first of all, thanks for all the suggestions,

i need to clarify that i want headphones that cover my ear, not earphones that go into my ear(i just think its nasty if i shove them in my ear and then someone else uses them and puts them in their ear)

what do u mean by that the audio-technica are between sennheiser and grado? whats good about sennheiser and whats good about grado?

these will no be used with any portable devices and i would like them to block out outside noise but they dont have to be perfect at doing that. and does anyone have any coments on the pioneer hdj-1000's?

the hd555's look like they are in the lead because i found them for ~$120 on the internet

and i was more like planning on buying a nice $100 soundcard later on............

The Senns have a more neutral sound and laid back presentation, the 580/600/650 being almost sedate unless with a well matched amp.
Grados have a more colored, brighter sound and an in your face presentation. Where the Senns usually put you about 10 rows back, the Grados put you on the stage.
The AT A500 and A900 are brighter and have more impact than the Senns and a more neutral sound with less impact than the Grados, while providing a huge soundstage. The A500/A900 isolate just enough to keep the fan noise down, but allow you to keep track of what's going on around you. And the comfort factor, the ATs are very comfortable, they're really big, but you won't mind either on your head.
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...ct/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphone.html

The hd-555 is open and provides no isolation.

gamekid said:
i need to have a good set that block out sound and cover my whole ear for they can be comfortably after hours of play...........

Comfortable closed phones? I think you're describing the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80.

{Edit] Perhpas also the Beyerdynamic DT 770. I know Harkamus likes his.

after reading that review on closed headphones (thanks a lot godsmadclown) the Beyerdynamic DT770 is looking pretty good.

i have a question though, is their a diference in sound quality for open and closed headphones? if open headphones are better i quess i could go that way. the only reason i wanted them to block out sound was because my sister is getting a new stereo for christmass and im getting a new computer and our rooms are right next to each other and she likes to jack up the sound on some songs.

GodsMadClown said:

Sony MDR-V6 = Sony MDR-V6000? I have the 6000's and love them. Real good base sound and they can take a bit more volume than the $25 Sony walmart headphones I had before. I paid $100 for them and was crying rape but am very pleased with them. The only thing about them is that with my previous headphones my ears never got hot, but with these new ones my ears started to sweat when I forst starting using them but dont anymore because I guess I just got used to them.

Open cans are usually better then comparably priced closed ones.
There are a few exceptions to this rule (the DT770s and ATH900s) but for the most part it is accurate. :)

All bow down to the greatness that is the Beyerdynamic DT 770. It owns all...including Mister X.

OK, I'm just being a dumbass. Seriously though, grab some DT 770s. Grab an amp.

The only 150+/- headphone I recommend without an amp would be the Audiotechnica ATH 900.

GodsMadClown said:
{Edit] Perhpas also the Beyerdynamic DT 770. I know Harkamus likes his.

If you can solder go to headwize and get a copy of CMoy's amp design...build your own headphone amp for about $35.

This might be the way I go next (making my own amp), but instead I will play with a pure class A amp as opposed to his IC based design....the output on my nomad is fine for the road :)

ahh, crap!!!! just found out the dt770s are around $200 :( , and i am way overbudget with this system (~$400!!) so i am gonna settle with something more inbetween $100 and $150. see, i am not an audiphile and i like nice sound but its not all that important (for $100 headphones, no matter what, i should be getting GOOD sound out of them, doesnt have to be perfect) thanks for the link godsmadclown but my mom doesnt want me to buy anything from a private seller online and it will be some time before i get an amp anyways.

and i have another question bout open headphones, well, i want them to block out sound and i dont see why if i have the sound on a decent level i would be able to here a lot of outside stuff. and since they are open i guess other people can hear ur music but from how far away? and it isnt that loud anyway, is it?

i will have to read over this thread and look back on the headphones that were mentioned. thanks for all the help though :) i am gonna look at grado more because i believe someone said that they put u in kind of the "front row" and i think that would be better for gaming, but again i herd they are uncomfortable, grrrrrrr.....why does this have to be so difficult!!!!

gamekid said:
ahh, crap!!!! just found out the dt770s are around $200 :( , and i am way overbudget with this system (~$400!!) so i am gonna settle with something more inbetween $100 and $150. see, i am not an audiphile and i like nice sound but its not all that important (for $100 headphones, no matter what, i should be getting GOOD sound out of them, doesnt have to be perfect) thanks for the link godsmadclown but my mom doesnt want me to buy anything from a private seller online and it will be some time before i get an amp anyways.

and i have another question bout open headphones, well, i want them to block out sound and i dont see why if i have the sound on a decent level i would be able to here a lot of outside stuff. and since they are open i guess other people can hear ur music but from how far away? and it isnt that loud anyway, is it?

i will have to read over this thread and look back on the headphones that were mentioned. thanks for all the help though :) i am gonna look at grado more because i believe someone said that they put u in kind of the "front row" and i think that would be better for gaming, but again i herd they are uncomfortable, grrrrrrr.....why does this have to be so difficult!!!!

Yes, it is difficult :p

Grados don't have much of a soundstage, not suited for gaming. They are uncomfortable, but they will adjust to your head in a few months and become okay.

My suggestion? Sony V6 or 7506 (same thing) + Chaintech AV-710. Add a CMOY if you can afford it ($40-50). You'll be set :)

Edit: Make sure you don't get the V600, they are very different and considered to be very inferior to the V6/7506.

gamekid said:

I know you are young and immortal, but you should really guard your hearing. Closed headphones seal out noise so that you do not have to compensate with volume. Lower volumes are healthier for your ears.

Mister X said:
The reason I cought that is cause I almost said the same thing. :)
I would suggest the HD280pro's
Ecost also has a good deal on those at the moment.... even if they are refurbished.

1. The refurb HD-280 are <$60 shipped. Add a $25 Chaintech AV-710 from Newegg, and you'll have the beginnings of a pretty good listening system. for less than $100.

2. That leaves you money to save up for an amp. Try a Pimeta for $120 about 8 months later.

3. Then, 8 months after that, you sell the HD-280 for $60 and put it towards the $200 for the DT770.

<--- puts on the magic hat and says
PFT. :p
The Beyer DT770 80ohmers can be had for $150 if you know who to ask but the whole private seller on the Internet thing rules that out so.....

i got a cmoy amp in a altoids that i wouldn't mind letting go for 40+ shipping

Back