~$150 Budget For Headphones

SkuLLy|RT

Limp Gawd
I've somehow snapped my second pair of shitty "gamer" headphones and want to purchase something a little more robust. I baby my equipment; stuff sits on my desk, isn't dropped, isn't thrown around, but still they seem to break right after the 1 year warranty ends. I picked these Razer Barracuda's up today and they just snapped in half. Ridiculous.

Anyway, now that I'm done ranting I'd like opinions on what to buy. I mostly game and watch movies. I'll be using a X-Fi Titanium Pro to drive these. Looking for good sound and great build quality (no more flimsy plastic sets please). So far I've got audio-technica ATH-AD700 and SENNHEISER HD555 in my sights. What would you pick between these two? What else should I be looking at? [H]elp! :)

Actually http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1496955 is pretty close to what I'm asking, so I'll just read up on the stuff suggested in that thread.

I have the ATH-AD700s and I'm very pleased with him. It took a bit for my ears to adjust, but after they did I hard time taking them off. They're great for music and gaming. I use mine with a Zero DAC (it has a built-in headphone amp) fed via optical by the same sound card you use.

EDIT:

One good thing about the AD700s over the HD555s is that the AD700s have an adjustable headband. So if they're putting too much pressure on your head you can loosen them up to your liking.

You may want to check out Ultrasone headphones. They have a good frequency range and produce crisp, relatively high-fidelity sound. They also come with magnetic shielding, s-logic, and don't distort much at max volume.

I second the ATH-AD700. They are a bit lacking in the bass department for my taste, but they sound so clear and the soundstage is so large I don't even care. They definitely require burn-in though...mine sounded kinda trashy when I first picked them up, but after 40+ hours they are like a completely different set of headphones.

The 555s are still a great choice, and definitely have better bass response, but their soundstage isn't as wide and I find them to be a little more fatiguing than the AD700s. You can't go wrong with either choice, it pretty much comes down to larger soundstage or more bass. That being said, it's hard to beat the AD700s for comfort :)

Last edited:
I have the HD555's. I think the soundstage is fantastic on them. I've had 8 hour gaming sessions and they don't become uncomfortable to wear. I've taken them into public and they don't look too goofy. This is coming from someone who has never tried the AD700s.

You cant go wrong with either these 2 headphones seriously... I had the same choice to make couple days ago (Music and gaming in my case) and went with the ATH-AD700.. soooo many good reviews and perfect for gaming. Combined witt my Auzentech Forte ( ordered and on it's way!!) It will rock mehe. Ive received my AD700 and I'm totally satisfied.. 100$ for these? it's just ridiculous...grab a pair! Havent's tried the Sennheiser.. they were my second choice but I live in Canada and the discount on AD700 was way better :) The only bad comment I had on Senn is that the plastic tend to brake

Ive asked Arkangyl some help before ordering and that's what he said :

ATH-AD700's have a wide soundstage (good for positional in gaming) and have fast response (good for instrumental bits)

Senn 555's have a slightly more narrow soundstage which makes solo's and acoustic awesome, it might hamper gaming though, same faster response (this is typical with open air due to the faster flow of air)

Throwing one more pair of headphones into the mix, as someone suggested them to me as competitors at the $100 price point.

SHURE SRH440

Anyone heard of them?

What's your opinion on the build quality of the HD555 and the AD700?

The ATH-AD700s aren't good if you are planning on transporting them a lot...they're fairly large, and the design of the auto-adjusting head pads isn't sturdy enough for frequent travel. That said, the quality of materials used is very high...they look and feel (and sound!) like they cost twice as much as they actually do.

The 555s are solid as well, and a good choice if you plan on transporting your headphones regularly. Their earcups aren't quite as comfortable as the AD700s, but they are still very comfortable and well-built headphones.

Throwing one more pair of headphones into the mix, as someone suggested them to me as competitors at the $100 price point.

SHURE SRH440

Anyone heard of them?

I find the SHURE SRH440 unbearable to listen to. Overemphasized treble and upper-mids which becomes distorted during complexity at high volume. Lack-luster bass, non-existent sound-stage, and horrible comfort from the ultra-thin ear-pads.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are a much better headphone all-around and can be bought for $90 (best-offer) on Ebay from an authorized reseller.

I was pretty much ready to pick up the AD700s, but I've seen the Senn HD595 and ATH A-900s for sale on another forum for $130-150 and that is complicating this decision like crazy lol.

Maybe this will help. AD's are open headphones and allow outside sounds to get in, it's also a very different kind of sound if you have never worn them before.

A's are closed and block out other outside sounds, I prefer closed and really enjoyed the A900's. Closed headphones generally have stronger bass response - good for gaming and movies. The A900 bass is not as strong as a Beyer, but strong and appropriate for movies/games and music (hip hop/electronica). AD700's are open air and will be weak on the bass response. The positive points are a wide soundstage and a good midrange.

Last edited:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80. they are built like a tank, comfortable, and sound great with movies, music, and games. check out the reviews for them on headfi. buy from ebay.:cool:

edbb71faa7ae0979cc18a32858798585.jpg

Maybe this will help. AD's are open headphones and allow outside sounds to get in, it's also a very different kind of sound if you have never worn them before.

A's are closed and block out other outside sounds, I prefer closed and really enjoyed the A900's. Closed headphones generally have stronger bass response - good for gaming and movies. The A900 bass is not as strong as a Beyer, but strong and appropriate for movies/games and music (hip hop/electronica). AD700's are open air and will be weak on the bass response. The positive points are a wide soundstage and a good midrange.

I'd agree.

Find out if you like closed or open headphone better. The sound signature is really different. Also, open headphones can get pretty loud for other people so take that into account.

^ ATH-AD700's. Though I haven't heard the 555 Senns I have heard people mention that have had them both say the AD700's were in a much higher league in terms of sound. They are extremely undervalued right now as well. They aren't for transport and though I will say this with most 32ohm+ cans if you want the best in them especially concerning bass they need to be amped. I had them hooked up to non-amped but very good sources and the bass was extremely weak. Amped and they sound flat out awesome. The openback are wicked cool in movies and games as well because the soundstage is all around you. It puts you precisely in the point of action, bullets flying in circles all around your head at different distances etc, it's awesome.

Last edited:
Quick update. My gf had shot down the idea of buying new headphones (picked up a new i7 rig last weekend so I didn't fight her decision too much lol), but when I got home today she handed me a box from Amazon with some AD700s inside. :O

So my gf rocks, and for the past 4 hours I've been watching BR movies and listening to music. These things are awesome! Much thanks to everyone that suggested them. :D

The left drivers on my AD700s crapped out (or loose wiring somewhere). But luckily they offer a two year warranty. No RMA required to send it in, just package it nicely in a box, throw in a copy of the dated receipt and their service form and send it in and they'll send you a replacement or fix yours. Pretty hassle free if you ask me.

i have owned both the AD700 and now have the A700.

The ad700 are awesome for music and gaming they are open and airy. People can hear everything you are listening very loudly with these. If you are around other people and need to be quiet DO NOT GET THESE !!!!!!!!!!!! I had to return my pair and go for the lil more expensive closed A700 ATH headphones instead Which sound insanely awesome and very comparable to the AD700 slightly less soundstage but you gain a hell of alot of bass
and they are closed so they are not as airy open sounding. Can't go wrong with either or
it really depends on your situation but they are best headphones ive ever owned

Look at the HD25 1-II, the DT770 pro, & the hfi-780 at slightly above your pricerange, and the m50(my current pair), q40, Grado, & others under it. The AD700 are nice, particularly for gaming, but there are plenty of comparable cans out there as well.

If you can AB test, I would try the cheap RX700's as well, which are supposed to be very comparable with the same driver.

Last edited:
So I've been playing BFBC2 all night, and this is a new for me - getting shocked by headphones?

Guess I should put a humidifier in here or something, lol.

I went thru many headphones. My choice for now is Sennheiser HD 380 pro.

Made for sound engineers. Superb flat response. After 250 hours of burn in the sound is exceptional.

If you want to hear everything as intended by sound creators, these are the current thing.

Amazon has some Sennheiser HD-595's for just over $160, that would be my choice.

Which in your guys opinion would be the better buy(sub $150)?
Audio Technica ATH-A700

or

SENNHEISER HD25SP

Thanks in advance for your responses.

The HD 25 SP's are good, durable, can buy all the parts to replace, loud, precise and comfortable. I own both HD 25 SP-II's and HD 25-1 II's and to be honest, they're pretty much the same just the SP's have cheaper headband and do not have a single sided cord.

I have not used the A700 but they seem popular enough and people recommend them a lot on here.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I lean towards AT, so I'm a little biased. Each company has a certain sound signature, so best if you can listen to them somewhere (friend, store).

How do the AD700's compare to the A700's and A900's?

And how would they compare to the wireless Sennheiser RS 140? I would be willing to pay a premium for wireless, although I don't necessarily wan't a lot of loss in quality

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are a much better headphone all-around and can be bought for $90 (best-offer) on Ebay from an authorized reseller.

I have a pair of those and they actually sound a bit better than my beyerdynamic DT990pro IMO but find them lacking for comfort. They are circumaural but I guess my ears are on the big side because they don't completely surround my ears so make them hurt after about an hour or so. The pleather makes my ears sweat also. The DT990 are very comfortable in comparison but those are known to be about as comfortable as headphones get.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back