15 Year Old Who “SWATTED” Gamer Given 25 Years To Life

HardOCP News

[H] News
Could you imagine if we really did hand out 25 years to life for something like this? Thanks to everyone that sent this one in but the story is fake. ;)

What many teenagers these days are considering a harmless prank, has landed one online gamer in more trouble than he could have ever imagined. In a Louisiana courtroom today, 15-year-old Paul Horner broke down in tears after a judge found the young man guilty on two counts of domestic terrorism and was sentenced to twenty-five years to life in federal prison.

Until I read that the victim has a family member be injured by this, I was hoping it was just a scare tactic and that he'd be released after like 6 months or something.

Now he deserves at least 5 and needs to be made an example of. Stupid kid.

Officer in the picture looks to have a NY police patch on his sleeve too.

The crying whiny bitch is entertaining to look at though.

This is a terrible idea for a "prank" and one of these kids does need to be made into an example. Kids gotta learn that if you do dumb shit there will be consequences.

I was loving that too.

Big tip-off that the story was fake, no one gets convicted and sentenced on the same day in this country.

There are some people in Missouri who would like to have a calm and civil discussion with you over some coffee.

I was loving that too.

Big tip-off that the story was fake, no one gets convicted and sentenced on the same day in this country.

Uh, I've served on a jury more than a few times where we convicted and sentencing was handed out right then.

That said the big tip off was the length. While the little tool certainly needs to be punished hard, 25 to life isn't a reasonable sentence on any level.

Uh, I've served on a jury more than a few times where we convicted and sentencing was handed out right then.

That said the big tip off was the length. While the little tool certainly needs to be punished hard, 25 to life isn't a reasonable sentence on any level.

File for an appeal claiming cruel or unusual punishment

Yea I believe the article is fake. It's only being reported by that site and the source as someone I saw mentioned earlier.

Yea pretty obvious it's fake....

15-year-old Paul Horner

1st - Normally under 17/18 they will NOT print the name of the "Minor"

2nd - National Report is a satirical news site.

Well they do print the names of minors if heinous enough, and yes the story is fake and entertaining.

I was loving that too.

You really believe that? If you're not rich or a celebrity your sentenced is usually given rift along with the verdict thanks to standardized min/max sentences.

since this whole "swatting" thing is becoming a thing, how long till swat teams stop charging in over anonymous calls? Which, IMHO, they should not be doing anyways

I think "no knock" warrants should be illegal. Police have killed or injured way too many innocent people including children and babies with concussion grenades, and destroyed property of the wrong house too often.

This is a terrible idea for a "prank" and one of these kids does need to be made into an example. Kids gotta learn that if you do dumb shit there will be consequences.
There does, but I feel locking someone up for about half their remaining life is not the way to do it.

Another sign it is a fake, is clicking the link re-directs to another story on the site about Cokes that have names written on them.

since this whole "swatting" thing is becoming a thing, how long till swat teams stop charging in over anonymous calls? Which, IMHO, they should not be doing anyways

I think most of the time it's not an anonymous call but an impersonation of someone in the home being victimized - "there's a man with a gun in my house, he's threatening to kill my family!".

Imagine if there was a real situation like that and the police did not respond because "it sounded fake".

SWATting is terrorism by police proxy and anyone who does it should face terrorism charges - and murder/attempted murder if there are casualties.

In my opinion, the low hanging fruit is no-knock warrants on minor to moderate drug offenses. There are too many cases where they got the wrong house and/or people have been injured or killed - and even when nobody it hurt, kids can become extremely traumatized and often the dog is shot and the house torn up.

All of that and in many cases, the suspect regularly comes and goes from the house and could be arrested more safely outside.

But then, how would we practice our "dynamic entry" skillz?

There does, but I feel locking someone up for about half their remaining life is not the way to do it.

Castration with a red hot knife.
He stays out of jail, gets punished AND removed from the gene pool, plus, chances are he was never going to get to use "it" anyways.
:p

I think "no knock" warrants should be illegal. Police have killed or injured way too many innocent people including children and babies with concussion grenades, and destroyed property of the wrong house too often.

Agreed! Not to mention the chances of the home owner defending his castle. In a fast-paced situation with no expectation or reason for law enforcement to bust in your door the first thing to mind is intruder.

I've never seen that. Then again, I'm not a lawyer or trial expert. If they sentence right on the spot, how do they do a presentencing report? How does the judge / jury consider mitigating factors, post-trial motions etc. etc. unless all that is done BEFORE the defendant is found guilty. :confused:

Whoah, you've actually served on a jury? More than once?

I'm 34. I think I've only been summoned 3 or 4 times in my life, and every single time it was just a silly waste of time. Show up, wait for 4 hours, be sent home, because they ddin't need anyone it never even went to jury selection.

I don't think I even know anyone who has ever served on a jury. Having served more than once sounds REALLY weird to me.

Zarathustra[H];1041063910 said:

I'm 34. I think I've only been summoned 3 or 4 times in my life, and every single time it was just a silly waste of time. Show up, wait for 4 hours, be sent home, because they ddin't need anyone it never even went to jury selection.

I don't think I even know anyone who has ever served on a jury. Having served more than once sounds REALLY weird to me.

I'm nearly the same age and I've never been summoned even once. :confused:

Looks like typical sentences for SWATTING (and other 911 emergency hoax type things) is 20-30 months. After good behavior that apparently winds up being rather low.

Apparently this type of sentencing isn't enough to serve as a deterrent.

This "wicked smaht" guy was given a 20 month sentence for swatting, and when he got out did it again, and now got a 30 month sentence.

So what, you think they should send in a guy to determine if there really is a problem inside first? Maybe make a call and talk to the receptionist?

"Hello, this is LAPD SWAT, we just received a 911 call that three heavily armed men where slaughtering people inside, can you confirm that for us please?"

I mean we don't want to have the cops achieving tactical surprise, it wouldn't be fair.

You gota give the bad guy a chance to bone up and finish his business first.

I'm nearly the same age and I've never been summoned even once. :confused:

Been summoned several times, served once and it was easily worth it. I learned some seriously good stuff sitting on a medical malpractice case and it was all worth my time.

Oh, and my 29 year old daughter just spent 3 months serving on a Grand Jury and that was her first call up. Depends alot where you live, it's just the odds.

Zarathustra[H];1041063910 said:

It shouldn't, because it's possible. I've served on two, one being a capital murder case.

Oh, and my 29 year old daughter just spent 3 months serving on a Grand Jury and that was her first call up. Depends alot where you live, it's just the odds.

Yep location matters alot. county population:number of trials

Zarathustra[H];1041063980 said:
Looks like typical sentences for SWATTING (and other 911 emergency hoax type things) is 20-30 months. After good behavior that apparently winds up being rather low.

Apparently this type of sentencing isn't enough to serve as a deterrent.

This "wicked smaht" guy was given a 20 month sentence for swatting, and when he got out did it again, and now got a 30 month sentence.

Way too low, especially when he was caught for a second time. If 20 months couldn't fix him, 30 isn't going to do much of a difference. He should have been put away for at least a decade the second time around.

The real problem here lies with the hot-headed, trigger-happy police/swat force. Clearly there is a serious level of inability to read the situation they are approaching if innocent unarmed civilians are being shot at.

It is not reasonable nor fair for this 15 year old boy to inherit all of the consequences and blame for his actions.

I would also like to say, it is of no surprise that 'swatting' is unique to America. It was last week I read that a 9 year old girl shot her instructor with an Uzi for fucks sake, after only reading the previous week that visually impaired (actually totally blind) people feel the need to exercise their constitutional right to carry fire arms.

The real problem here lies with the hot-headed, trigger-happy police/swat force. Clearly there is a serious level of inability to read the situation they are approaching if innocent unarmed civilians are being shot at.

Way to post something completely relevant and on topic. Nice work. Kudos. Please take non-researched opinions elsewhere.

Way to post something completely relevant and on topic. Nice work. Kudos. Please take non-researched opinions elsewhere.

I'm sorry but, specifically, what is your post trying to achieve?

The number of people that suggest the 15 year old boy that should be held fully accountable, serve 5 or even 25 years and be made an example of seems wash out the point of: Why hasn't anyone questioned the man behind the gun?

I believe the amount of blame being put on the boy is attracting too much attention from other areas of this story that need to be addressed.

It is not reasonable nor fair for this 15 year old boy to inherit all of the consequences and blame for his actions.

I would also like to say, it is of no surprise that 'swatting' is unique to America. It was last week I read that a 9 year old girl shot her instructor with an Uzi for fucks sake, after only reading the previous week that visually impaired (actually totally blind) people feel the need to exercise their constitutional right to carry fire arms.

First, you need to get with it, the story was a fake, a satirical piece of fabricated fiction.

Everything else you have said is based on false info so immaterial unless you are pursuing a career as a writing critic :D

Way too low, especially when he was caught for a second time. If 20 months couldn't fix him, 30 isn't going to do much of a difference. He should have been put away for at least a decade the second time around.

He cooperated with police and showed them how he did it. According to the article, he used a hacked cable modem to spoof the phone calls so it looked like they came from the places he swatted. They gave him a reduced sentence for that.

First, you need to get with it, the story was a fake, a satirical piece of fabricated fiction.

Everything else you have said is based on false info so immaterial unless you are pursuing a career as a writing critic :D

My posts were aimed entirely at the comments and not the story.

You have to admit even if you detract this story from the internet there is still a consensus that the boy should be hung, drawn and quartered...

I wonder how difficult it would be to just solder in your own capacitor inline in the 5 and 12v lines of the sata power connector...

Zarathustra[H];1041064383 said:
I wonder how difficult it would be to just solder in your own capacitor inline in the 5 and 12v lines of the sata power connector...

Doh, TOTALLY wrong thread...

Back