15.6" 1080P screen?

RADRaze2KX

Weaksauce
I'm looking to upgrade the screen in my notebook. It's a Lenovo B560; I'm a professional repair tech, and this is not my first screen replacement experience, so don't worry about "difficulty" ... I've already upgraded this once humble notebook from a pentium dual-core to an i7, upgraded to 8GB RAM, installed an OCZ Vertex 4, and "upgraded" to Win8 Pro.

The screen is currently a decent 1366 * 768, but I'm getting deeper into DJ'ing and prefer a higher resolution for Traktor Pro 2. I'd like a full 1080P but can't find where to get one, as they seem to still be a new-ish screen for laptops. Anybody have any ideas where to get one that would be compatible? I remember some old Dell Latitude's having 1600x1200! I want my 1920 x 1080! :D I don't want to have to sell/trade this laptop >:[

Last edited:
Its really been a bullshit trend dude.

My OLD P4M Dell laptop had a 1400x1050 screen eons ago. The idea that anyone would want/use a laptop with something like 1366x768 in a modern laptop drives me crazy.

Sadly high res screens are still a premium feature on laptops.

Find someone selling an old high end Sager or similar with a nice screen but totally outdated components?

Maybe there's some overheated nvidia GPU victims with 1080p screens? Dell Precision, XPS?

You have to be careful that the cable supports dual LVDS channels when moving from 1366x768 to 1080p.

You have to be careful that the cable supports dual LVDS channels when moving from 1366x768 to 1080p.

useful information! how can I tell? What about swapping the cable? The screen I've got now is the OEM, it's 40-pin but I don't know if the cable is LVDS .

EDIT: Looks like I can get a cable for the Z560 / G560 .. should be nearly the same: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LCD-LVD...Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item337bd5f832

possible to combine that with something like this?? http://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteBook-...=1364153435&sr=1-1&keywords=15.6+1080p+screen

here's what the original looks like: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapa...d=1364153516&sr=8-2&keywords=15.6+b560+screen

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's the motherboard connector type you need to worry about and you can tell by seeing if all the pins are connected to wires by pulling the tape back, if it's missing more than 1 or 2 cables then it's single channel.

To check your cable the screen end.

Has it really been cheaper doing all those upgrades vs buying a new one? Just curious, sorry I have nothing useful to contribute for your upgrade question.

btw my old T61p with a 1680x1050 screen is my favorite, even compared to newer 1080p screens.

HP Envy 15 from early 2010 (maybe 2009?), very nice 15.6" 1080p. Was better then the 1600x1200 IPS in my old T60p thinkpad.

Hopefully we get some nicer high res screens now that we are moving forward again :)

Well, I will say you have a good taste in DJ equipment.

Hah thank you. I'm using a Numark 4Trak and NI Kontrol X1. Wanting to get a midifighter Pro. Laptop is occasionally used as a tech laptop also.

Has it really been cheaper doing all those upgrades vs buying a new one? Just curious, sorry I have nothing useful to contribute for your upgrade question.

btw my old T61p with a 1680x1050 screen is my favorite, even compared to newer 1080p screens.

Cheaper? hmmm... so, sadly I bought this laptop and in haste off of craigslist and when I met up with the person, I was less than cautious because it was a very... attractive... female... and when I got home, I turned it on and realized I was scammed. It was supposed to be an i5 with 6GB's of RAM and a 640GB harddrive out the door, but instead was the base model pentium dual-core, 3GB RAM, 320GB harddrive. It cost me $300, and at the time the i5 laptop was on sale at Bad Buy for $575. The processor was ~100 and the ram was ~30, SSD was ~80, Win 8 was ~40. Currently that puts me at at $560 and I had some spare parts to use for other purposes... I'm $20 + tax ahead and it's much... much... faster than the one I would've bought (sans the extra storage space which is kind of a bummer, but I'm not using it to store anything but 320kbps MP3s, and only about 5000 at a time). So I do kinda feel like I came out ahead.

If I can just get this screen upgraded, I'll be more than happy with my purchase!

I may consider selling this one and buying a new one... Just difficult to sell an i7 to people when you can't prove it's an i7 because the one I used is an Engineering Sample :mad:

Well the are technically not sellable ;)

Well the are technically not sellable ;)

True. I should contact Intel and see if they could part ways with a production i5 in exchange for this ES i7. If not, I'll just throw the old processor back in here and order another...

haven't had a chance to open up the laptop to check the screen yet. Will probably do tonight. I'll keep you all updated, I'm surely not the only person wanting higher resolution screens on a laptop.

I would avoid making yourself obvious to intel ;)

^ right?

well.. I just wrote them a letter and submitted it. I've got friends that work at Intel here where I live. I just asked, in addition to turning it in, if I could acquire a production i5 to cover the loss. we'll see what happens.

Cheaper? hmmm... so, sadly I bought this laptop and in haste off of craigslist and when I met up with the person, I was less than cautious because it was a very... attractive... female... and when I got home, I turned it on and realized I was scammed. It was supposed to be an i5 with 6GB's of RAM and a 640GB harddrive out the door, but instead was the base model pentium dual-core, 3GB RAM, 320GB harddrive. It cost me $300, and at the time the i5 laptop was on sale at Bad Buy for $575. The processor was ~100 and the ram was ~30, SSD was ~80, Win 8 was ~40. Currently that puts me at at $560 and I had some spare parts to use for other purposes... I'm $20 + tax ahead and it's much... much... faster than the one I would've bought (sans the extra storage space which is kind of a bummer, but I'm not using it to store anything but 320kbps MP3s, and only about 5000 at a time). So I do kinda feel like I came out ahead.

Didn't you have to swap out the mobo to make this work?

Swap out the motherboard? For the CPU? It's in a socket.

2z3oz6u.jpg

So I'll take it this is a single channel cable?

If the machine came with a dedicated graphics option, the MB used will be 1 of 2 variants. one will have dedicated and one will have intergrated graphics. If a higher screen resolution was an option on the machine, then you will need to order the correct cable for the display. If the machine only supported a specific low res, then the MB might not have all of the trace lines needed to properly drive a higher resolution internal disp.lay

1336*768 LDVS cable will not properly drive a 1080p display (screen door effect). When I upgraded my screen on my laptop I had to get the cable for a vostro 3550 1080p model. It was slightly longer but it worked out just fine. This worked because the machine sold outside of the US with the 900p panel.

Also the replacement screen has to have the same deminsions, mounting locations, and connector location as your current screen

Last edited:
It's standard graphics... I haven't seen any iteration of the laptop that has 1080p ... :/

decided to find a laptop that has wuxga (1920 x 1200) 17" screen instead. Gonna cost a grip but I'd be happier with it since my laptop doesn't have HDMI and I can't seem to find a replacement board from a different model that does uuggghhh

Back