14tb WD/HGST $385 @ Newegg

honegod

[H]F Junkie
I started buying these for my new build about a month ago since then the price has dropped from 465 to 385.

Plain boxed with factory looking light plastic end isolators.

Sealed static bag.

0 out of 9 failures so far.

7200 rpm , 512mb ... um, cache?

12.7 real tb.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822234360

Edit: Helium filled.

Yeah, probably, I just dislike having to make assumptions SO much.

IT also is not the type that requires that wire to be removed.

The largest drives made are still helium based.

But these aren't your ordinary drives. They are like the difference between residential plumbing and industrial plumbing--these drives feel stout! And they perform quite well too for what they are. On an HP 8760w laptop using a startech 3.0 cloning dock and lan_speedtest, I got 100MB/s write and 179MB/s read right out of the box.

I've been watching them in the CDW outlet and got mine for $310 + shipping for open box. The static bag was open and they came in a padded envelope. Crystal disk showed that one had 70poh and the other had 120. There's actually more drives available, now even cheaper at $279, and it may drop even cheaper:
https://www.cdw.com/search/?key=14tb&outlet=1&searchscope=all&sr=1&maxrecords=72&SortBy=PriceAsc

Too bad mine didn't work in the application I wanted them to (old Intel ss4200-e), so I'll be returning them. But these are lovely drives. :love:

550TB per year, 10X the normal desktop rating; Up to 2.5M hours MTBF with a 5-year limited warranty;
Wish i had a need

550TB per year, 10X the normal desktop rating; Up to 2.5M hours MTBF with a 5-year limited warranty;
Wish i had a need
Yeah, super-duper solid drives. I have one in my hand right now and you can feel it. I wish these would have worked for what I wanted, but otherwise I don't have a need either so back they'll go.

It's $10-15 cheaper on Amazon 3rd party Prime.
I would NEVER trust buying enterprise equipment like this from Amazon or ebay. These are exactly the type of high dollar items that scammers would love to fake and bake. And you'd hate to find out about that after a warranty claim. Not worth the risk imo--especially when I can find legit open box ones for much cheaper anyways.

So what's the deal with the difference in pricing?

Cheaper = more wear/tear, longer use - that kind of thing?
Higher price = less use, if at all?
(Also some listings, e.g. $422, don't make any sense - might as well buy elsewhere)

I'm curious what the per platter storage is. The HDD platter capacity database stops at 8TB sadly.

I would NEVER trust buying enterprise equipment like this from Amazon or ebay. These are exactly the type of high dollar items that scammers would love to fake and bake. And you'd hate to find out about that after a warranty claim. Not worth the risk imo--especially when I can find legit open box ones for much cheaper anyways.

You can go to the WD site and check the warranty status the day you receive the HD.

So what's the deal with the difference in pricing?

Cheaper = more wear/tear, longer use - that kind of thing?
Higher price = less use, if at all?
(Also some listings, e.g. $422, don't make any sense - might as well buy elsewhere)

I'm curious what the per platter storage is. The HDD platter capacity database stops at 8TB sadly.
So things in the outlet are typically rma returns. And they keep dropping the price on a particular rma or batch of rmas until they're between 70-90% off. Then they are pulled and put on a liquidation pallet for sale via another means. Hence why some are priced more than others.

You can go to the WD site and check the warranty status the day you receive the HD.
And a fake warranty label will show up peachy keen. Only when you need warranty service would you get the dreaded, 'I'm sorry to inform you but we can't help you because your drive is a fake, and we can't return it to you either.' On a drive like this and it's capacity, I wouldn't chance it.

Yeah, super-duper solid drives. I have one in my hand right now and you can feel it. I wish these would have worked for what I wanted, but otherwise I don't have a need either so back they'll go.

Dude, relax dramarama. It's Amazon Prime.

The largest drives made are still helium based.

But these aren't your ordinary drives. They are like the difference between residential plumbing and industrial plumbing--these drives feel stout! And they perform quite well too for what they are. On an HP 8760w laptop using a startech 3.0 cloning dock and lan_speedtest, I got 100MB/s write and 179MB/s read right out of the box.

I've been watching them in the CDW outlet and got mine for $310 + shipping for open box. The static bag was open and they came in a padded envelope. Crystal disk showed that one had 70poh and the other had 120. There's actually more drives available, now even cheaper at $279, and it may drop even cheaper:
https://www.cdw.com/search/?key=14tb&outlet=1&searchscope=all&sr=1&maxrecords=72&SortBy=PriceAsc

Too bad mine didn't work in the application I wanted them to (old Intel ss4200-e), so I'll be returning them. But these are lovely drives. :love:

Thanks for this. In the market for two 14tb drives and those prices are much more manageable. Currently seeing them for about $305. How long have you been watching and is that about the average price?

Samir, does your WD 14TB have center side screw holes? According to what I've read they removed those holes, but I've seen pictures where the drive does have the holes, so I'm a little confused.

Thanks for this. In the market for two 14tb drives and those prices are much more manageable. Currently seeing them for about $305. How long have you been watching and is that about the average price?
You're welcome. (y) They started out $400+ like the ones at the end of the list, and it took about 3 weeks to get to $305, which is basically what I purchased mine at. And one more drop below that will take the few that are $305 to $279 or below, which will be somewhere around a week so maybe next week sometime. I'm not sure how low these will go, but after seeing them drop to $279, I bet if no one bought the cheapest (oldest) ones in inventory, they would drop to $250 and start approaching $200 which would be unreal. And I've seen unreal deals in the outlet and that's why I do shop there a lot. Our watchguard M200 was less than what you can get it today 3 years later. I regularly post the deals I find in this thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/cdw-outlet-finds.1970140/

Dude, relax dramarama. It's Amazon Prime.
You go ahead and take your chillax attitude to prime and get screwed as many others have. Amazon is not a friend to its customers, but its sellers. And if you've got money to blow, I have some investments for you...

None of my 14tb drives have middle holes, just the end holes. Side and bottom.

6/32 thread

Samir, does your WD 14TB have center side screw holes? According to what I've read they removed those holes, but I've seen pictures where the drive does have the holes, so I'm a little confused.
Mine were made April 17th and 18th 2019 and they do not have the center side holes. They also do no have the side-hole equivalent on the bottom--just 4 holes for bottom mount and 4 holes for side mounting.

You go ahead and take your chillax attitude to prime and get screwed as many others have. Amazon is not a friend to its customers, but its sellers. And if you've got money to blow, I have some investments for you...

No one asked you.

Mine were made April 17th and 18th 2019 and they do not have the center side holes. They also do no have the side-hole equivalent on the bottom--just 4 holes for bottom mount and 4 holes for side mounting.

Thanks (also honegod). To my knowledge this is the first and only WD drive without center side holes. Previously it was only some Seagate drives missing those holes. Doesn't affect most cases, but some.

And i thought my 8TB Exos had a lot of storage
I started buying these for my new build about a month ago since then the price has dropped from 465 to 385.

Plain boxed with factory looking light plastic end isolators.

Sealed static bag.

0 out of 9 failures so far.

7200 rpm , 512mb ... um, cache?

12.7 real tb.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822234360

Edit: Helium filled.
lol you have some serious hard drive space there with 9 of those. I wonder how it benchmarks compared to my SG Exos

I wonder how it benchmarks compared to my SG Exos

Don't know yet, I am building the offline TR that gets 8 of them, the 9th is in the online i3 and filling up fast.

What benchmark would you recommend?

I wonder how it benchmarks compared to my SG Exos
I've found that generally once you get up into this level of enterprise space, all the drives individual performance is very close to each other, even among different brands. Remember, a lot of times different manufacturers will be used together in large storage farms, so any drive that 'upsets' the heard will probably not be used again. And of course WDC/HGST/Seagate don't want that to happen, so their drives will pretty much perform the same.

I've got some 2TB exos and I really can't tell the difference from them an my 2TB HGSTs that I got around the same time. I think your results would be about the same, even with the larger capacity.

Don't know yet, I am building the offline TR that gets 8 of them, the 9th is in the online i3 and filling up fast.

What benchmark would you recommend?
Capture.PNG

This drive is more than half in use, so likely does a better number when its fresh format. But Its like you guys said the commercial/Enterprise rated drives should all be in the same ballpark.

Atto is definitely a good one. I too would be curious what that 14TB drive array can do considering the impressive (compared to other drives in the same configuration) performance I saw with my drives.

Back