14900KS coming with new boards same 1700 socket TechYES video

I went from a 2600K to a 7700K. I'm looking to upgrade again. This thing does excellent for most things. But, I need more memory, more cores, and a better GPU. So, taking that as time to just build a whole new machine.

Unreal Engine needs a lot more resources to build simple games, so that's a big reason for the update. Flight Simulator could use a good bump, too. Looking forward to the new release. I'm not in a rush, but ~6-12 months is when I want to get it done. Not going to keep waiting for the next latest and greatest.
So greedy. No you must wait 10+ years like the last time.

Not surprised Intel is pushing a new chipset requiring you to buy a new motherboard. I hate that shit.
Actually the whole point of this thread is that you can use your existing 1700 socket lol. Bios updates are already being released as the companies are well in on this refresh.

Just read on Videocardz Z690 Asrocks boards will work with 14th Gen Raptor Lake refresh.

Last time when I dropped in Raptor Lake coming from Alder Lake my PC needed a Bios upgrade that took Asus about 3 months to resolve not sure if I want to do that again. M.2 drives were not detected and my eyes just hurt in general from the early prelaunch Bios.

Last edited:
Just read on Videocardz Z690 Asrocks boards will work with 14th Gen Raptor Lake refresh.

Last time when I dropped in Raptor Lake coming from Alder Lake my PC needed a Bios upgrade that took Asus about 3 months to resolve not sure if I want to do that again. M.2 drives were not detected and my eyes just hurt in general from the early prelaunch Bios.
Many boards already have next-gen BIOSes on their sites. AsRock included, a least for their Z790s.

-bZj

I would wait a few weeks or months and check the forums. I would definitely not be an early adopter. Also if you don't have the cooling to boost up to the new higher clock speeds if may be pointless to upgrade if you can't cool it. There may be a little improvement in efficiency though if that matters to you.

1st gen - 2008
2nd gen - 2011
3rd gen - 2012
4th gen - 2013
5th gen - 2015
6th gen - 2015
7th gen - 2016
8th gen - 2017
9th gen - 2018
10th gen - 2019
11th gen - 2020
12th gen - 2021
13th gen - 2022
14th gen - 2023

I don't know what your definition of "recent" is, but they sure seem like they plan on doing yearly releases for the last 15 years or so.
You missed Westmere in 2010. Intel just didn't call it a new generation. At that point they weren't doing the "gen" thing yet in their marketing. It was a die shrink and they just changed the model numbers. The process went from 45nm to 32nm.

I would wait a few weeks or months and check the forums. I would definitely not be an early adopter. Also if you don't have the cooling to boost up to the new higher clock speeds if may be pointless to upgrade if you can't cool it. There may be a little improvement in efficiency though if that matters to you.
Intel has a new voltage/power management technology working for 14th gen, which they scrapped for 13th gen. I am betting we will see higher clocks on the i5 and i7, for more/less the same power usage. Maybe even a bit less. The i9 might shoot for the moon, or it could also be about the same power.

*due to that, the locked chips restricted to their default 65 watt tdp, should perform quite a bit better.

Last edited:
Looks like a BIOS is out for my Z690 FORCE. I'll be waiting for the 14700K's first price drop. A fun thing I see MSI is sneaking into their latest BIOS releases is the same BS ASUS pulled where it tells Windows to auto download chipset drivers/Armory Crate without asking you. Just caught it on my recent X670E Carbon BIOS update and I see it's mentioned for the Z690 FORCE as well.
1692646646178.png

I haven't looked at the numbers.. but my i7-12700K / Z690 setup is "fine" for what I am doing .. my wife has my old Ryzen 3600 /B550 setup and it is more than adequate for her needs atm.... I assume I shall be waiting for 15/16th gen before upgrading (barring hardware failures?).

Regardless I have never (well once and it was a PITA) been a launch day guy... whenever I upgrade I will wait a month~ to see if anyone's house is burning down or whatever other issues develop post launch... Only buying once pretty sure things are fairly sorted.

I haven't looked at the numbers.. but my i7-12700K / Z690 setup is "fine" for what I am doing .. my wife has my old Ryzen 3600 /B550 setup and it is more than adequate for her needs atm.... I assume I shall be waiting for 15/16th gen before upgrading (barring hardware failures?).

Regardless I have never (well once and it was a PITA) been a launch day guy... whenever I upgrade I will wait a month~ to see if anyone's house is burning down or whatever other issues develop post launch... Only buying once pretty sure things are fairly sorted.
14700k ought to be a huge jump in multicore performance (12 e-corrs and higher clocks).

And a solid bump in gaming (more l2 cache and higher clocks and the P-cores don't share cache speed with the e-cores).

Buuuut, gaming performance won't matter much, unless you have something better than a 3080/4070

Last edited:
Bios support came out the other day for my Asus Z690 Maximus Formula board as well.

Aorus Master Z790 also got the up update "support for next generation Intel processors" in the last 2 newest bios updates.

Yeah, if you have 13th-gen, no real reason to upgrade.

But, with my 12th-gen... tempting to go from 12600K (10C/16T) to 14700K (20C/28T). Not liking the price-bump rumors, though.

-bZj

The more I read about the 14th gen the more I think I'll stick with what I got.
Your 13600KF is one of the best CPUs out there. 15600K or 16600K is probably going to be my next upgrade. I don't need all the extra cores in i7/i9, and this 14th gen refresh seems pretty underwhelming. It's a bit late to get on the LGA1700 train I think with LGA1851 coming next year.

It's nice that it supports current boards. One thing to note is Gigabyte is launching new Z790 X motherboards (perhaps other vendors too but haven't seen them)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA3NnuK6ocQ

Obviously kinda pointless if you already have a Z690 / Z790 board and planning to upgrade, but still I really like the design with the tool-less/quick PCIe and M.2 releases. For a new build this would be a strong contender.

Intel 14th Gen Core i9-14900K, i7-14700K and i5-14600K reportedly launches October 17th​

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-1...nd-i5-14600k-reportedly-launches-october-17th

I have no reason to upgrade so I might upgrade anyway I'm on a old Z690 motherboard Asus Tuff with DDR4 but I have a Raptor Lake 13700K CPU.

Would like to jump up to DDR5 but I could wait 3 years and get something alot better then a micro upgrade. I don't think I'll have any problem running games for the next 3-4 years anyway. If anything I would wait for Meteor Lake I would upgrade to that instead. I like upgrading but driver issues are the thing I hate the most about upgrading.
I kinda regret going from a 12700K to a 13700K but Amazon sent me an extra CPU so I'm still hanging onto a 13700KF and a 13700K I got for free basically due to lost shipment.

I’m also on a ddr4 z690, but with a 12900k instead. The MSI Pro z690 to be exact, if my board supports the 14th gen, I might pop one in.

yearly releases... cpus is becoming like phones.... lol

Well it's not like they are spending much in terms of R&D when they've been stuck on 10nm forever. Marketing, voltage, and more cores. Just shuffle the cores around and order some new boxes bam! The best technology of 2018 in 2023!!

Reactions: A I
like this
Well it's not like they are spending much in terms of R&D when they've been stuck on 10nm forever. Marketing, voltage, and more cores. Just shuffle the cores around and order some new boxes bam! The best technology of 2018 in 2023!!
But at least it’s been the same socket for Intel for 3 cpu launches, that’s a plus. I’m surprised we didn’t get 1700, 1701, 1699 just to say buy new boards!

But at least it’s been the same socket for Intel for 3 cpu launches, that’s a plus. I’m surprised we didn’t get 1700, 1701, 1699 just to say buy new boards!
or like what they did with the 6xxx through 9xxx chips and require a new board to run the 8xxx and 9xxx chips even though the Z170 boards could run the 8xxx and 9xxx chips (see coffee time mod) that was one of the main things that made me order parts for a AM5 build vs intel this go round

Intel doing something out of necessity after decades of not isn't an innovation.

like this
Intel doing something out of necessity after decades of not isn't an innovation.
I completely agree, I wasn't praising them at all for it, just at least I can use my board longer than a hot second for once in I don't know how many years.

With this refresh, I am kind of wondering if they addressed the lag concern with 12th and 13th gen ?

"Intel 12th and 13th Gen Intel Core processors (and likely also 14th Gen) have higher latency than 10th or 11th Gen Intel Core processors. This is a problem in the architecture which moved the Input-Output-Hub from the chip onto the mainboard."

https://vi-control.net/community/th...12th and 13th Gen,the chip onto the mainboard.

I may wait it out until 15th gen for that and a new socket.

Last edited:
I might get one. We'll see. I kinda have an upgrade itch, but probably won't do it unless I feel like I need more CPU for something. That'll probably be a game if something that really interests me drops and my proc isn't quite cutting it. More likely I'll just buy a nice monitor and hope that's enough of a scratch. Kinda eyeing 40-45" OLEDs. I haven't done a regular desktop build as my main rig since 1997, which kinda makes me want to drop 5k+ on a Sapphire Rapid Xeon W or ThreadRipper Pro or something but no, too much $. I'm running an i9-10890XE I picked up for $800 on sale at MicroCenter back in 2020. After I finished college and got a real job (software engineer) I started building dual proc rigs until multi-core machines came out. Well, then one more dual socket dual core. After that I went HEDT for the PCI-e lanes. Like I had this socket 2011 SLI rig driving 3x2560x1440 27" screens in surround. More pixels than 4k back in 2013. SLI or X-fire was a must. Now, finally, after like 20-25 years I can finally cram all the parts I want into a desktop machine. SLI is dead so just one vid card. Just need like 4-5 M.2 slots and an 8x+ physical/4x+ electrical slot for a 10Gb server NIC with SFP+ ports. Last time I could really do that was back when 32-bit PCI was still fast enough for anything other than a vid card. The 10Gb NIC helps a lot. Fast network let me banish all spinning rust to the server box in my utility room.

Videocardz just leaked the Geekbench scores looks like a winner thinking of going with a non K or KF version like the 14700 because I'm having problems cooling my current chip with air. My system reset and if I let it cool down after a reset it's fine. Not sure if it's GPU it CPU or Ram or heat.

like this
Videocardz just leaked the Geekbench scores looks like a winner thinking of going with a non K or KF version like the 14700 because I'm having problems cooling my current chip with air. My system reset and if I let it cool down after a reset it's fine. Not sure if it's GPU it CPU or Ram or heat.
Curious if you'll see an improvement when air cooling is the limiting factor on your current CPU? For example I can barely cool a stock 12700KF on air not sure it can handle any higher clock speeds. Unless the chip IPC is so much better that it is considerably faster at a lower voltage/heat.

Curious if you'll see an improvement when air cooling is the limiting factor on your current CPU? For example I can barely cool a stock 12700KF on air not sure it can handle any higher clock speeds. Unless the chip IPC is so much better that it is considerably faster at a lower voltage/heat.
I have no idea what he's talking about. You should not have to restart your computer to cool it down.

With this refresh, I am kind of wondering if they addressed the lag concern with 12th and 13th gen ?

"Intel 12th and 13th Gen Intel Core processors (and likely also 14th Gen) have higher latency than 10th or 11th Gen Intel Core processors. This is a problem in the architecture which moved the Input-Output-Hub from the chip onto the mainboard."

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/12th-and-13th-gen-intel-core-processors-have-higher-latency.141761/#:~:text=Intel 12th and 13th Gen,the chip onto the mainboard.

I may wait it out until 15th gen for that and a new socket.

I highly respect the music community's input on latency. But this particular video inspires very low confidence for me.

I also can't escape the irony of having a latency related video with audio and video being out of sync ;)

I highly respect the music community's input on latency. But this particular video inspires very low confidence for me.

I also can't escape the irony of having a latency related video with audio and video being out of sync ;)
Yeah it's sad to see DPC latency in the mid 500s to 1000s on a high end system for DAW duties whereas systems over 10 years old were below 20!

Yeah it's sad to see DPC latency in the mid 500s to 1000s on a high end system for DAW duties whereas systems over 10 years old were below 20!

Yes. But the videos blame 12/13th gen for delays in the 10 second range, which (if it is caused by the chips at all) is not DPC latency material.

I think the youtube videos are clickbait. And the delays they are seeing are probably caused by BIOS/OS/driver issues. And they never used any performance analysis tools while those delays are going on, not even a basic CPU load monitor.

Back