14900KS coming with new boards same 1700 socket TechYES video

When tick-tock was in full swing, we'd get new chips a little less than once a year and everyone would moan about not a lot of improvement. When that broke down, Intel still was throwing something new against the wall not too far off of once a year, but skylake refresh II Turbo: Hyper Fighting wasn't that exciting. If we're back to intel consistently releasing meaningful updates, and amd consitently releasing meaningful updates, the next couple years look nice. At least while they're still shrinking dies.

I'll think I'll pass this generation, I'm not expecting a huge jump in performance if this is only a refresh.

I'll think I'll pass this generation, I'm not expecting a huge jump in performance if this is only a refresh.
I'm debating. The 10900k is at the 3 years since built mark in July, and I'd kinda like to upgrade, but at the same time this is just a refresh...

they only recently do yearly releases because amd is doing yearly, they cant afford to release every two years vs amd

1st gen - 2008
2nd gen - 2011
3rd gen - 2012
4th gen - 2013
5th gen - 2015
6th gen - 2015
7th gen - 2016
8th gen - 2017
9th gen - 2018
10th gen - 2019
11th gen - 2020
12th gen - 2021
13th gen - 2022
14th gen - 2023

I don't know what your definition of "recent" is, but they sure seem like they plan on doing yearly releases for the last 15 years or so.

they only recently do yearly releases because amd is doing yearly, they cant afford to release every two years vs amd
I am not sure what you mean, do you mean that during the 3x86, 4x86, pentium 1-2-3-4 Intel was not doing yearly release ? Certainly not, they often had multiple release a year

In 1998 they released a PII 266-300-333 in january, P2 350-400 in april and P2 450 in august

it was not during the 2500k to 13st gen (the last 13 years or so) when they released 12th generations in 12 years, when was it common to go more than 15 months in a row without a new Intel cpu coming out ?

1st gen - 2008
2nd gen - 2011
3rd gen - 2012
4th gen - 2013
5th gen - 2015
6th gen - 2015
7th gen - 2016
8th gen - 2017
9th gen - 2018
10th gen - 2019
11th gen - 2020
12th gen - 2021
13th gen - 2022
14th gen - 2023

I don't know what your definition of "recent" is, but they sure seem like they plan on doing yearly releases for the last 15 years or so.
they missed 4 years here... so its not 100% yearly, and most of these are refreshes, yes you could say they released new ones "yearly" but a true upgrade is really every 3 years or until intel 4nm cpu comes out

they missed 4 years here... so its not 100% yearly, and most of these are refreshes, yes you could say they released new ones "yearly" but a true upgrade is really every 3 years or until intel 4nm cpu comes out
Which is still the case now, the news is about a second Alder Lake refresh, it is not like they are announcing massive generational upgrade a la meteor Lake yearly now

Last edited:
I'm debating. The 10900k is at the 3 years since built mark in July, and I'd kinda like to upgrade, but at the same time this is just a refresh...
I'm debating as well, except with a 10700k.
My system still runs all my games with no issues though so I'll probably just keep what I have throughout the remainder of this year.
Sometimes I get the itch to just grab a used 10900k as a cheap drop-in upgrade and then sell my old cpu to make the jump even cheaper but probably not worth it.

Which is still the case now, the new is about a second Alder Lake refresh, it is not like they are announcing massive generational upgrade a la meteor Lake yearly now
i have 9900k and it runs games fine, same for my 5900x, best upgrade for me is 14th or 15th gen intel since 14th is right around the corner, dont get me wrong, 12th and 13th are great cpus too, at one point I was thinking of getting 12th gen since its pretty cheap compared to 13th

Will we see 14th gen running in the same previous 1700 socket but, actually, a "new" one, incompatible with the two previous gens, like 6th/7th and 8th/9th?

6.2 ghz boost (if not FUD) looks very appealing..

1687088534908.png

For me, I honestly upgrade about every 5 generations or so (when I can enjoy a doubling in performance, and other enhancements mature).. So I am currently running a 9900k (upgraded from a 4790k), so something like a 14600k would be very appealing to me.. especially if it is similarly packaged like a 13600k but with 6.2Ghz boost and better overall efficiency etc. If there is an appealing MicroCenter combo deal on a 14600k around black friday, I will likely pull the trigger. For my needs, I have no reason to go with flagship (XX9XX) anymore, and I have no need for a space heater.

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe a worthy successor to the i7 920 @ 4 GHz? :D
I had a 980x for a good 8 years where she served in a number of rolls for over 14 years. That line for Intel was amazing for their longevity.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Suspect Intel dropping the ball on shrinking their processes might have a little to do with this. AMD, or TSMC really, cleaned their clocks in that regards.

I upgrade every ~5 years and am definitely due as my i7-8700K is a little long-in-the-tooth. Now engaged in the classic "Intel vs AMD" struggle. Realize this is the Intel sub; but am considering going with the Ryzen 7 79003DX just to do something different after a decade+ with Intel. Will have to look into this 14xxx series to decide if I can hold off scratching the upgrade itch.

Suspect Intel dropping the ball on shrinking their processes might have a little to do with this. AMD, or TSMC really, cleaned their clocks in that regards.

I upgrade every ~5 years and am definitely due as my i7-8700K is a little long-in-the-tooth. Now engaged in the classic "Intel vs AMD" struggle. Realize this is the Intel sub; but am considering going with the Ryzen 7 79003DX just to do something different after a decade+ with Intel. Will have to look into this 14xxx series to decide if I can hold off scratching the upgrade itch.
Yeah... it really depends on how power hungry the new 14X intel chips will be for me.. might have to wait longer or consider AMD... AMD has had various Bios issues over the years for certain chips / chipsets that have been somewhat of a deterrent.

Personally I would wait for 15th gen VS AMD's new AMD CPU. Intel's 15th looks/might be 1 badass chip!

Personally I would wait for 15th gen VS AMD's new AMD CPU. Intel's 15th looks/might be 1 badass chip!
Yep that's what I'm waiting on as well. For now my 10700k marches on.

If you do decide to go with AMD then I would choose any chip EXCEPT the 7900x3d. The 6/6 code split with the x3d cache only on one ccx makes it an odd chip regardless of the use case.

Soooo do I wait for 14….or just picked up 13th gen and scratch my itch to upgrsde

Soooo do I wait for 14….or just picked up 13th gen and scratch my itch to upgrsde
From all transpired, little chance that there will be big regret to have bought 12-13xxx on the refresh come out, it is not a major a la possibly meteor lake would be situation

I went from a 2600K to a 7700K. I'm looking to upgrade again. This thing does excellent for most things. But, I need more memory, more cores, and a better GPU. So, taking that as time to just build a whole new machine.

Unreal Engine needs a lot more resources to build simple games, so that's a big reason for the update. Flight Simulator could use a good bump, too. Looking forward to the new release. I'm not in a rush, but ~6-12 months is when I want to get it done. Not going to keep waiting for the next latest and greatest.

It's also not a bad thing. It isn't like you should upgrade every year with processors, nor phones. You upgrade when you feel the change has been big enough, but it is nice that they iterate every year to bring what performance improvements they can. That way if you ARE upgrading, you get something pretty current. I'd much rather have a new version come out every year than a long period of nothing than a jump every 5 years but end up in the same place as a yearly iteration.

It's also not a bad thing. It isn't like you should upgrade every year with processors, nor phones. You upgrade when you feel the change has been big enough, but it is nice that they iterate every year to bring what performance improvements they can. That way if you ARE upgrading, you get something pretty current. I'd much rather have a new version come out every year than a long period of nothing than a jump every 5 years but end up in the same place as a yearly iteration.
Agreed.

I aim to start ~looking~ at 3 years old on a system. They tend to get the upgrade at 4 - ish - or at least 4 generations (2600k->6700k->10900k and so on), which is when the improvements not only on the CPU side but also on all the peripherals makes sense.

Hmmm so, the Z790 boards, like the MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk WiFi, should support the new chips, right? I've been thinking of moving back to Intel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I saw that and it should be supported but it also seemed really early lol
One of the benefits of "early" support in bios is that it increases the likelihood that the board you buy will actually have that bios installed and support the new CPUs. I tend to shy away from boards that lack a no-cpu bios/"BIOS Flashback" updater feature. Having to source a cheap CPU or do a whole RMA just to run what you bought brand new is dumb.

It's reasonable to expect that updated bioses will be available for all the Z/H/B boards from the big board makers before release (and then made unbuggy, later ;) ).

I am waiting to see the 14600K price/perf ratio. But I purposely went with a much cheaper 12600K for the moment, to wait for the 14xxxs once I saw they were staying on LGA1700.

Looks like most mobo mfgs are in on the updates ahead of schedule (from AsRock):
Screenshot 2023-07-29 001802.png

-bZj

Back