144hz needed?

RapidDog

Limp Gawd
New build coming from Skytech soon with a GeForce 2700 super card.
My current monitor is an Acer 27” 60hz 2080dpi.
Wondering if I’ll need a higher Hz monitor to handle the power/graphics. I’ve read there may be tearing on a 60hz monitor.
I am an admitted non techy...

144Hz is a quality of life thing, it REALLY makes things more smooth and snappy, even in just normal desktop apps. The Geforce 2070 will run 60Hz fine, and if you enable a FPS cap, or adaptive Vsync, it will be no issue with tearing, but you'll 'only' get 60FPS. you won't be able to get the ultra smooth motion of a high-hertz monitor.

don't cheap out on a monitor, it's the only thing you'll ever look at

Reactions: isp
like this
Well I’d like to use the one I have unless there would be some sort of problem looking forward...

I find quality of life really improves once you get above 85hz. I find my CPU really struggles to keep consistent fps so I set my 144hz monitor to 85hz which really reduces the fps swings, and looks 99.99% as good.

Does the resolution settings for the monitor affect performance.
I recently realized this Acer is a higher def than I thought. I play most games in 1080p due to my lacking GPU set up.

So got it all hooked up. Had issues with my speakers not working. Till me all day to get that going. Deleted the Realtek in device manager. Go figure...
The improvements are huge over the laptop with external gtx1060ti.

What is it called when you say, look left and right quickly with the mouse and it looks not so smooth, rather it’s a little choppy.
Is that a frame rate drop?
Have not measured FPS, monitor set at 50hz in Borderlands 3 for instance.

AMD 3700 Quad Core
16gig RAM
GeForce 2700 Super

So got it all hooked up. Had issues with my speakers not working. Till me all day to get that going. Deleted the Realtek in device manager. Go figure...
The improvements are huge over the laptop with external gtx1060ti.

What is it called when you say, look left and right quickly with the mouse and it looks not so smooth, rather it’s a little choppy.
Is that a frame rate drop?
Have not measured FPS, monitor set at 50hz in Borderlands 3 for instance.

AMD 3700 Quad Core
16gig RAM
GeForce 2700 Super

Set it to 60hz, turn vsync on if you're not going to cap fps.

Thanks I'll give that a try.
I haven't figured yet how or what's the best setting for setting the FPS. (noob).

I used 60hz for a long time before getting a faster refresh rate monitor. You really won't be handicapping yourself if you've never used one before. It will just be more of the same. As others have already said, you will just be at the 60hz cap more than before.

That being said, once you hop to 144hz - your eyes will get spoiled by the smoothness and as soon as some (graphical) app runs at 60hz, you'll be able to tell just by looking, specially games.

Now that I'm at 144 on one rig and 120 on another, it's really giving me an itch to see what 240hz looks like ... someone help me! :-D

I used 60hz for a long time before getting a faster refresh rate monitor. You really won't be handicapping yourself if you've never used one before. It will just be more of the same. As others have already said, you will just be at the 60hz cap more than before.

That being said, once you hop to 144hz - your eyes will get spoiled by the smoothness and as soon as some (graphical) app runs at 60hz, you'll be able to tell just by looking, specially games.

Now that I'm at 144 on one rig and 120 on another, it's really giving me an itch to see what 240hz looks like ... someone help me! :-D

Im also at 144 but from what ive read & videos ive watched on the subject apparently the jump from 144 to 240 is much less noticeable vs. 60 to 144.

If you're into competitive gaming then this recent video might interest you:

144hz is not just for competitive games, it just makes everything more enjoyable. Windows use, scrolling the camera in a strategy game or RPG and so on. If you are strapped for money it may be arguable whether you need it or not, because the bump in price can be substantial in some cases (a 1440p 144hz IPS is often double the price of a 1440p 75hz screen, kinda ludicrous), but it's basically just another aspect of the "quality" of the monitor, like good color reproduction, good contrast, higher resolution etc. If you can afford it, you should definitely go for it. If money is an issue, you may drop it if you have other priorities, not the least because once you try it, there's no coming back.

144hz is not just for competitive games, it just makes everything more enjoyable. Windows use, scrolling the camera in a strategy game or RPG and so on. If you are strapped for money it may be arguable whether you need it or not, because the bump in price can be substantial in some cases (a 1440p 144hz IPS is often double the price of a 1440p 75hz screen, kinda ludicrous), but it's basically just another aspect of the "quality" of the monitor, like good color reproduction, good contrast, higher resolution etc. If you can afford it, you should definitely go for it. If money is an issue, you may drop it if you have other priorities, not the least because once you try it, there's no coming back.

Agreed, I wasn't implying 144Hz is only good for competitive gaming, I could never go back to 60Hz and I dont play competitive games other than Quake Champions occasionally (I was replying to dvsman's comment on wanting to upgrade from 144 to 240).

Back